Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil change kit ... who's got the cheapest price nowadays ? (C4S)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
I am a firm believer in certain OEM stuff... I have never seen a more robust OEM oil filter than for my Lexus (toyota), but I pass on Honda filters since they appear to be complete crap. I ordered Hengst (Oem provider) filters from Pelican to go with my Motul 8100Xcess purchase from Amazon noted above with free shipping... a good deal for Porsche approved oil for those of use who have no big-box stores who carry the 5W-40 I have decided to use.
Actually taking apart a honda one shows a decent difference in quality. In my shop I like to take apart the different brand oil filters I see in the scrap, investigate which ones are good, and not so good, for the most part, not much beats OEM, some of the really cheap ones even use paper filters instead of fabric which scares me a little

Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the Pelican kit because it comes with the drain plug washer too. I buy the oil (5-W40 Castrol Syntec Edge) at local Auto Zone. They have the filters too but Im not sure if they are as good as Pelicans. Fram has degraded into cheap Walmart garbage.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanturbo
Actually taking apart a honda one shows a decent difference in quality. In my shop I like to take apart the different brand oil filters I see in the scrap, investigate which ones are good, and not so good, for the most part, not much beats OEM, some of the really cheap ones even use paper filters instead of fabric which scares me a little

I don't think you can get the "AO1" filters from Honda anymore... now they use AO2 and they went way downhill... but check me on that and make sure I don't have it backwards. Also, love to see if you get a Toyoto OEM Oil Filter and a Purolator Pure One Oil filter apart (the two I currently use on my other cars). Thanks for the intel
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 PM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That deal is still going on (coupon on website) thru 11/30 and includes filter up to $6.99... you pay any difference after that. Best I've seen if you want to use Mobile 1. What filter did they have and what was the upcharge if any?

Unfortunately, no Pep boys near Memphis TN (HQ for Autozone) , but others may want to take advantage of this.
It ended up being $32.xx out the door with a purolator filter (got 2 sets). Turns out M1 doesn't make filters for our car, so they were nice enough to substitue for the only one available. Doesn't look like they charged me anything over the 6.99.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:19 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oem only in my opinion as I cant see skimping on an important engine related part, its only a few dollars more.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

I don't think you can get the "AO1" filters from Honda anymore... now they use AO2 and they went way downhill... but check me on that and make sure I don't have it backwards. Also, love to see if you get a Toyoto OEM Oil Filter and a Purolator Pure One Oil filter apart (the two I currently use on my other cars). Thanks for the intel
I havent bought any Honda filters in a while so havent bothered checking the A02's I will have to check it out when I get one in. I haven't seen a purolator filter and doubt I will since no one in my current city sells them as far as I know.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:20 AM
halik
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
oem only in my opinion as I cant see skimping on an important engine related part, its only a few dollars more.
Purolator had great reviews on the bobistheoilguy forum. Considering i switch them every 5K, there's literally nothing to worry about.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:46 AM
jordanturbo
Cardigan Millionaire
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by halik
Purolator had great reviews on the bobistheoilguy forum. Considering i switch them every 5K, there's literally nothing to worry about.
The way I look at it is this. some of the filters such as Napa Gold filters may be well constructed, maybe even better constructed than OEM (though rarely imo) but for example the Napa Gold 1356 filter is the filter for Honda's, but it has applications in non Honda applications as well. Honda filters are engineered for Honda engines and nothing else (flow rates, bypass pressures etc) which Napa Gold's are not. They may meet the minimum requirements for the filter, or maximum, but are never the same as OEM.

I find it hard to believe that the Napa Gold filter, the same used in a Saturn Vue, or Hyundai Accent (to name a few) meets the exact requirements set out by Honda for the AP1 S2000 I had that redlined at 9000rpm.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drive most of my cars less then 3k a year= still buy all oem parts when I can as I have found after doing the car hobby for 40 years they are usually the best.I do on occasion buy original supplier when oem is no longer available or a performance part for increased hp duty.

Quick Reply: Oil change kit ... who's got the cheapest price nowadays ? (C4S)