Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winterizing: do I have to change the oil with less than 1,000 miles on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by white out
When a car is sitting for months, oil just sits in the pan. Change oil before start up or soon there after.

Nick
That's correct as far as you have taken it.

But the oil sits everywhere, well, is retained in a number of places in the engine besides the oil sump/pan.

For instance it is in the valve lifters.

The minute the engine stops running the oil begins to stratify.

Any contaminates like unburned gas or water seek their own layers. The water at the bottom of whereve the oil is and the unburned gas at the top.

The water is almost certainly itself contaminated with acidic compounds thus there is a layer of acid under an accumulation of oil

In the sump this acid attacks the sump metal.

In the valve lifters it attacks the extremly high precision components, their fits, finishes, that are the zero lash adjusters.

Sure oil with low miles doesn't have much of thus stuff but remember we are not talking about the engine going unused just overnight but for months.

Months during which this acid can work its evil.

I still say that the best course of action when putting a car away for the winter is to do so with the oil as fresh as possible.

Ideally the oil/filter is changed just before the car is due to be put away, the engine is run enough to check the oil level and the car then possibly taken for one last farewell drive -- as long as weather conditions permit -- then with other precautions taken tucked away for its winter slumber.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:00 PM
yank_my_chain
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Similar question...I currently have just under 5,000 miles since the last oil change and plan to put about another 1,000 miles on my 83K mile '99 C2 before a 3 month winter rest. Should I change the oil now or wait until I am ready to put it in storage? This is my DD with occasional spirited driving but nothing too extreme. I have not had to add oil since I purchased it in April when the oil was last changed (I also had the IMSB, RMS, AOS and clutch replaced when purchased).
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

change it at 6k when your ready to put it away
Old 09-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by jasper
Let common sense be your guide.

Furthering Targatoo's analogy -

In your case you haven't "worked all day" and "gotten all sweaty".

You got up late in the morning, , had a shower, kicked around the house, walked to the corner store for a pint of milk, relaxed some more, then ate dinner and watched a movie on Netflix.

Are you going to shower before going to bed?
Depends.......... lady offering access to her charms???????????

don wanna wear yer "welcome" out!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
Depends.......... lady offering access to her charms???????????

don wanna wear yer "welcome" out!
LOL ^^^

It's interesting I go to sleep dirty sometimes after having worked on cars. This also coincides with me not changing the oil religiously before storing any of my cars. It's also interesting that I'm able to get away with this considering my wife sleeps next to me. I guess it's better to have brown stains on your pillow than in the middle of the bed.

Who's seen that FRAM commercial? That's me....

Quick Reply: Winterizing: do I have to change the oil with less than 1,000 miles on?