Ticking time bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:09 AM
gianfrancs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking time bomb?

Hi all,
I have a problem and was hoping I could get some input. I have an 02 996 with 52k miles. Bought it a year ago and love it. I've put 8k miles on it and it is due for an oil change which is to be done next week. About two or three weeks ago, ive noticed a "tinny" inconsistent clicking noise at idle and light acceleration. Almost like a rattle. It occurs at start up and into turns after the car is warm. Its not a knock and does not occur all the time.

Ive been reading about the death rattle and engine failure and im freaking out! I just started to research this information, and have driven the car a few hundred miles since i noticed it. I"m definitely getting it checked out, but wouldnt the engine have gone kaput by now? Any ideas?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:18 AM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you stand behind the car at idle is it louder on one side or the other. Lifter tick possibly? Have it hooked up to a scan tool and check deviation values on camshaft timing when you get it checked.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:24 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When you change the oil next week make sure you or your service technician inspect the filter cartridge very carefully (cut it open) look for ferrous metal particles. You'll need a magnet to confirm.
Then report back.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

Could it be an exhaust rattle?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lifter that is getting stuck. Seafoam seems to have helped this issue with other 996'ers in the past (no affiliation, or direct use) or have your indy look into it when you take it there.

The people that describe the death rattle say it sounds like rocks inside of a coffee can. If your noise is similar to that, I would shut it down and get it to a shop.

GL, and report back with the diagnosis...doesn't sound like anything too crazy.

DS
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I'd sell it........
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gianfrancs
Hi all,
I have a problem and was hoping I could get some input. I have an 02 996 with 52k miles. Bought it a year ago and love it. I've put 8k miles on it and it is due for an oil change which is to be done next week. About two or three weeks ago, ive noticed a "tinny" inconsistent clicking noise at idle and light acceleration. Almost like a rattle. It occurs at start up and into turns after the car is warm. Its not a knock and does not occur all the time.

Ive been reading about the death rattle and engine failure and im freaking out! I just started to research this information, and have driven the car a few hundred miles since i noticed it. I"m definitely getting it checked out, but wouldnt the engine have gone kaput by now? Any ideas?
I'd avoid running the engine any, just in case it is IMS bearing related (or anything internal engine related).

Maybe it is not serious: The car is not new to you and maybe the previous owner was lax in doing oil changes and you got the car with an oil change due sooner than 8K miles later? And who knows what oil was used?

Even if the oil was changed the instant before you bought the car 8K miles given some types of usage might be way over the change by miles limit. IOWs the oil may be contributing the noise but this is not a green light from me to continue to run the engine drive the car.

What you'll get from me is a suggestion (to put it mildly) to get that oil filter housing dropped ASAP and into a clean drain pan and see what's in the oil and the filter element.

What you see determines your next moves.

In the meantime leave the engine off. I'd have it flat bedded to have the oil filter housing oil/element inspection done and the oil service done if you can't do these things at your house.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:58 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a recording?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I'd sell it........
The OP should have listed the color and major options.

No, seriously, this forum is a great resource for these cars, but it is also the worst possible place to research these cars because according to (what seems like) 95% of the posts, the engines will blow up, fail, disintegrate, spew oil out of every orifice and cost you somewhere between 20 and 50 thousand dollars to diagnose and repair.

Odds are that it's just a lifter or a loose bracket or something like that. An oil change on a 996 is pretty darn simple compared to just about any other model of 911, you can do it yourself (assuming that you know how to do an oil change). It's just a car.

Best of luck.

Last edited by MJBird993; 09-24-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added the little smiley face so that everyone knows that I was joking
Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same sound. Pulled the motor and sent it to Jake at Flat6.
It had lost a lobe, which killed the lifter after the lobe lost the taper that promotes valve rotation.

Quick Reply: Ticking time bomb?