Center Cap Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Center Cap Dilema

Cross posting for a little more exposure:

I need some help from the Rennlist brain trust. I have some aftermarket wheels on my car and don't know the brand. I am trying to find center caps but these will not accept the standard Porsche caps that clip in. It looks like they are a screw on type and I have never seen anything like this. Can anyone direct me to what kind of caps may fit these wheels? I dont really care if they are Porsche crests or not, just something to cover up the spindle.
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Got to a local tire shop that sell a lot of aftermarket rims. They should be able to help finding a replacement cap.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... I had the same problem. I looked all over and couldn't find anything that fit my ATS wheels. I ended up buying blank plastic wheel caps that fit center hole, and 4 small metal Porsche crests (designed for steering wheel I think) on ebay. Then I painted caps to match wheels, stuck Porsche crests on, and covered cap and crest in a clear epoxy resin. They aren't perfect but look pretty damn good for what it is. I can post pictures at some point if interested.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trapperdog
Well... I had the same problem. I looked all over and couldn't find anything that fit my ATS wheels. I ended up buying blank plastic wheel caps that fit center hole, and 4 small metal Porsche crests (designed for steering wheel I think) on ebay. Then I painted caps to match wheels, stuck Porsche crests on, and covered cap and crest in a clear epoxy resin. They aren't perfect but look pretty damn good for what it is. I can post pictures at some point if interested.
Did you epoxy the finished crests to the wheel?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:18 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Measure the center cap area and check Ebay
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

I did not adhere the cap to the wheel with epoxy. It snapped in tight. But the blank cap was not a perfect fit as it sat down in the hole a little. I ended up pouring clear epoxy over the emblem/cap while on the wheel and let it fill almost up to the edge of the wheel surface (of course I had removed the wheel and had it laying flat on the floor). The only thing I noticed is a slight yellowing of the epoxy. I don't think there are UV inhibitors in it. The caps are removable but I don't plan on pulling them off.

Last edited by trapperdog; 05-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:43 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wad up some aluminum foil & stuff it in the hole -- tell everyone it's a rat rod.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:57 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

a job well done there I'd say.

Originally Posted by trapperdog
I did not adhere the cap to the wheel with epoxy. It snapped in tight. But the blank cap was not a perfect fit as it sat down in the hole a little. I ended up pouring clear epoxy over the emblem/cap while on the wheel and let it fill almost up to the edge of the wheel surface (of course I had removed the wheel and had it laying flat on the floor). The only thing I noticed is a slight yellowing of the epoxy. I don't think there are UV inhibitors in it. The caps are removable but I don't plan on pulling them off.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:48 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Most epoxy's turn yellow with sunlight/curing.
You needed to use craft epoxy but then it probably won't endure the elements either.

Quick Reply: Center Cap Dilema