Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Is my headlight bulb about to go? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/717236-is-my-headlight-bulb-about-to-go.html)

fpena944 09-17-2012 10:17 AM

Is my headlight bulb about to go?

Noticed this morning that one of my headlights is turning a little more purple in color than the usual white.

Turned off the headlights for a moment, turned them back on and it was the white color at first but after about 10 seconds began dimming.

Is this a sign that I need a new bulb? If so what is the best source for one?

Dennis C 09-17-2012 10:32 AM

Generally color changes or flickering are signs that a bulb is about to go.

HID bulbs (I'm assuming you have Litronics) should be replaced in pairs because the color and light output of an HID bulb changes significantly over it's useful life.

I bought my last set from Pelican Parts.

Macster 09-17-2012 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by fpena944 (Post 9847480)
Noticed this morning that one of my headlights is turning a little more purple in color than the usual white.

Turned off the headlights for a moment, turned them back on and it was the white color at first but after about 10 seconds began dimming.

Is this a sign that I need a new bulb? If so what is the best source for one?

Second what Dennis said. Any change in a bulb's output or behavior is almsot always a sign the bulb is about to go out. (Once though in the case of my Boxster it was a headlight assembly loose, but along with the headlight all bulbs in that assembly were dark.)

For any bulb I replace in pairs.

I've bought replacement bulbs from the local Porsche dealer parts counter but there are of course online sources of parts as well.

Sincerely,

Macster.

fpena944 09-17-2012 04:11 PM

Thanks guys!

I found them on Pelican for about $70 a piece, does that sound reasonable? I'll also call the dealer and see what they have for a price as well. Might just be easier to head down the street to pick them up.

Macster 09-17-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fpena944 (Post 9848378)
Thanks guys!

I found them on Pelican for about $70 a piece, does that sound reasonable? I'll also call the dealer and see what they have for a price as well. Might just be easier to head down the street to pick them up.

My dealer's parts department gives me discounts on parts arising from my PCA club membership. Be sure you mention you're a PCA club member.

If you're not... I would recommend you become a member.

Sincerely,

Macster.

fpena944 09-17-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Macster (Post 9848417)
My dealer's parts department gives me discounts on parts arising from my PCA club membership. Be sure you mention you're a PCA club member.

If you're not... I would recommend you become a member.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Yes I'm a PCA member and the parts and service guys at the local dealer know me so I'll check with them first before ordering online.

Thanks again!

Litesonic 09-17-2012 07:25 PM

Zookie on here was selling some earlier... (used, but at a fair discount) if I remember correctly. But then again from time to time, I dim as well :)

spender 09-18-2012 11:00 PM

Just buy them on eBay - there's a company that harvests them from wrecked cars, tests, and resells them - for like $10 a bulb. I've bought several sets this way.

fpena944 09-18-2012 11:48 PM

Well it went out today so I had to go to the local auto parts store and pick up a set.

I tried the dealer first but they didn't have them in stock so they just suggested going to any parts store. I did and was able to pick them up for around $80 a piece. Sure it's more expensive but with the weather we've had here I really can't be driving around with one headlight for too long.