Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   willwood trailer hitch install help (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/716873-willwood-trailer-hitch-install-help.html)

philooo 03-25-2013 11:23 PM

nah just default avatar as I need to upload something new in there since my aerokit install
I debated highly to buy a 997.2, but decided not to. Tought decision that I am still debating :S
But I think I'll invest in my daily driver instead

osteoman 04-15-2013 07:33 AM

Philooo,
Used my Willwood hitch this weekend on a trial run before my first DE this year and noticed that the pin that locks the car's hidden hitch to the hitch ball unit hits the bumper underneath after it passes through the hitch. After a test drive, I found that the vibration of the test drive pushed the pin up so that it was only engaged in the top of the unit where they mate. Did you find this as well, and how did you address it? It is so low, I am afraid any mod to the bumper will be seen below the plate when I am not towing. :confused:

philooo 04-15-2013 08:36 AM

when you say the pin hits the bumper underneath, I assume you mean it hits the plastic bumper cover, right ?

I have not check that part yet. I have been stranded with some house work and have not had time to try the setup for a long drive. I only made a few very short test runs.

I am curious to hear more about your situation. For me last time I checked there was space for the pin but I have to admit I did not take the time to look below the hitch asssembly to see how the pin was clearing out below.

Can you take a picture of your assembly top and bottom ?

I'd say the problem is the way the plastic bumper is installed, it can be adjusted a little bit, or may be the cut should be bigger. I am like you I made a very small cut where only the tip of the hitch assembly sticks out. We might need to go with the bigger hole to do a better safety and avoid problem like yours.

osteoman 04-17-2013 08:04 PM

Hitch pin problem

3 Attachment(s)
Philooo,
Here are some pics of the problem, the short story is that the bottom of the locking pin hits the lower lip of my bumper and actually pushes the pin back up with driving vibrations. To remove the part of the bumper to make room for the pin will leave a gap that can be seen when not using the hitch. My only idea is to cut the pin as close to the lock ball (see pic) as I can to avoid this problem. Do you have any ideas and have you seen this on your car? :confused:

philooo 04-17-2013 10:25 PM

I am traveling but I can already tell you that on my car the pin is going in, behind the plastic bumper. I mean I have to angle it to get in the hole and then with a single finger I push it down because it is so much recessed

I will check again but your bumper is a lot more flush to the car body than on mine

I have to add that my bumper was a bit too far away from the body when I reinstalled it the first time around

I did unscrew the rear bumper screws to make it more flush, pushing toward the car as much as I could but still I don't think my hitch stick out as much

The bumper can be manually adjusted a bit, but I am not sure why yours is so much more flush than mine

May be the bumper bar actually play a role there

It could be that my car was hit or something , I mean at low speed and may be my boer absorber a little bit recessed

I'd love to hear other users chime in on this topic

osteoman 04-19-2013 07:24 AM

I loosened the top and bottom screws on the bumper, and also pushed the lower bumper as far forward as possible, then tightened it all back down, and that created just enough room for the pin. I am now good to go! :thumbup:

philooo 04-19-2013 10:50 AM

Glad you solved it

Please post a picture of the new clearance

oMenRC51 04-29-2013 05:26 PM

I may sell my un-mounted Willwood receiver if I go the roof rack route. PM me.

philooo 04-29-2013 06:50 PM

keep us posted on the roof rack route, I think it is a very good route.
you can put the toolbox in the car and tires on the roof

problem #1 with roofrack -> you have to unmount it each time you are at the track and the roof rack I wonder how easy it is to mount and unmount.

philooo 10-06-2013 01:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a quick picture with the trailer in place.

you can't even feel it behind the car.

great setup to take tires or more with you.

Cloudspin 10-06-2013 09:56 PM

Well done!

balefire 03-08-2014 12:40 AM

Anyone have a copy of the manual?
The website seems to have downsized...

Also, any idea how much this would cost for labor?
Thanks

Byron in MS 03-08-2014 01:01 AM

Here's mine.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...a/DSC_0099.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...a/DSC_0003.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...a/DSC_0007.jpg

Seeeu911 03-08-2014 04:37 AM

Great thread !

philooo 03-08-2014 09:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
there was very little documentation as to how to place the hitch.
I'll see if I can find and scan mine but I don/t think I still have it.

It is pretty straight forward, the only thing I missed was the template to drill the bumper but really you can do it yourself easily

1/remove the bumper
2/take the hitch and place it right in the middle of the bumper bar, and center to the lower bumper bar and mark the drilling location
3/drill
4/put the bolts in. here you need the special bolt that have the ergo on them so you can tight them without them turning in the back. If not you have to remove the bumper bar.
6/cut your bumper in the center of the police tag location. you can cut a small piece in the center then cut larger once the bumper is on. use a blade to cut the abs, just go over your cutting line many times and it cut nice and clean.
7/ wire the hitch plug, check my previous posts.

a shoot can do it in 4 to 8 hours max. But it is a liability for them, not sure who will do it for you.