Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   willwood trailer hitch install help (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/716873-willwood-trailer-hitch-install-help.html)

fpb111 12-09-2012 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
12v power is there already. (do 99s have the jumper box? in pic with the + on it) But you want 12v switched. Just curious why? The stop and taillights will work off the left taillight.
I have a leftover 6"x9" piece of the aluminized cloth heat shield material that I used. If that much will do the job for you it's yours.

philooo 12-09-2012 07:15 PM

6x9 is more than I need ;)

A non switched power is ok as I think my wiring harness will turn itself on and off when needed only... Supposedly

But I tried, the hitch harness will not work at all if it does get 12v power .;(

Where do you find constant 12v in the rear ?

fpb111 12-09-2012 07:20 PM

on my 03 it's under the black cover with the + on it. Its where they tell you to jump the car from. That and the bolt that holds the aircleaner box to the chassis. in post 31 pic.
PM your address and I will send the heat shield tomorrow.

philooo 12-09-2012 10:51 PM

Humm, I wonder but I have never seen that thing under my frunk... I have a 2003, may be it is different ?

I wonder if I should just wire as you say so the stop and tail light work of the left taillight, but I'd really like to have my turn signals :) I also prefer to use the special hitch harness, I assume it helps unload the tail lights circuits... or may be I am just putting too much faith on the wiring harness ...

But I have to admit the amount of wiring required for the small amount of time I will be towing may not be worth it.

FYI, that is the harness I bought
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...odule?id=13612

osteoman 12-10-2012 12:14 AM

Philoo,
Thanks for posting this thread as I ordered the WilWood hitch just last week and will be going through this same job between now and April as I get ready for the 2013 DE season.
Keep up the good work!

fpb111 12-10-2012 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by philooo (Post 10060433)
Humm, I wonder but I have never seen that thing under my frunk... I have a 2003, may be it is different ?

I wonder if I should just wire as you say so the stop and tail light work of the left taillight, but I'd really like to have my turn signals :) I also prefer to use the special hitch harness, I assume it helps unload the tail lights circuits... or may be I am just putting too much faith on the wiring harness ...

But I have to admit the amount of wiring required for the small amount of time I will be towing may not be worth it.

FYI, that is the harness I bought
http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...odule?id=13612

It is in the engine compartment, passengers side.
Your harness is probably a four wire to three wire (with ground so 5 and 4)converter.
IE: From 3 separate lights Euro type; running, stop, turn, to 2 separate light US type; turn/stop, running.
You will have to pull the right turn signal wire from somewhere.

I haven't looked on the 996 but I bet you can open one of the wiring harnesses on the right of the engine compartment and find the wires that you need.
Ask on the GT3 forum. More guys have done the trailer hitch there.

philooo 12-10-2012 11:01 AM

yeah my harness is working with both euro and us type of cars. May be if I found a better harness for euro vehicules I would not even need for it to be powered. I'll start hunting on google :)

philooo 12-10-2012 11:06 AM

now that I am looking at those harness thing, I wonder if I even need a wiring harness box like I got, can I simply connect wired from the taillights directly to the hitch connector ?

Sorry about the dumb question but I am really not a trailer expert :S

That big box I bought might have just been made for more complex use of both US and Euro cars..?

fpb111 12-10-2012 12:48 PM

If your trailer has one light on each side with one bulb (with two filiments 1 = stop & turn and 1 = running lights) you will need the converter. Your car has separate stop and turn bulbs. If you hook the turn signals up both of the trailer stop lights will blink when you put a signal on. The converter figures that out for you.

Another way to make things work is to add another light to each side of the trailer for turn signals and wire it direct without the converter.

I bet Porsche makes a converter/harness for the Cayenne. Maybe that could work for the 996 if you don't think your current one will.
Of course the Porsche one will have 25 more parts and cost 1 leg and 1/2 lung more. and you wil have to hire one extra acrobat and a contortionist to help mount it.

philooo 12-10-2012 07:41 PM

I am looking at changing my trailer light to have separate bulbs for turn and stop/tail

I assume I can't use LED or I will get even more trouble, right :) ?

fpb111 12-11-2012 11:38 AM

You might have less trouble with LEDs on the trailer.
If you use the stock bulbs in the car and LED on the trailer you will not be adding much extra load to the system. The car's light nannies won't think there is a bulb out and the LEDs shouldn't add enough load for them to get in a snit and blow fuses or ...?

I just looked at the converter that you bought. From the literature it looks like it is the right unit for your car. Just pull the power from the + box in the engine compartment and follow the wiring instructions that come with it.

philooo 12-11-2012 11:41 AM

humm I might try to buy a LED tail light set for the trailer then.
That would be the easiest road for me by far. They seem to be cheap. Now I just need to find a good set with separate turn and brake/tail

fpb111 12-11-2012 11:57 AM

Use the converter that you bought. It looks like it isolates the trailer power draw from the car's lighting system. That’s a good thing! You need to bring power, right, left, tail, and stop light signals to the converter. If you don't use the converter you will have still have to run wires to the trailer connecter to work all of the trailer lights.

p.vanderlinden 12-11-2012 02:53 PM

Use rubber gromets if you are passing electrical wires through sheet metal.

cheers, Paul

philooo 12-11-2012 02:58 PM

Thanks Paul, I just bought a set at home depot yesterday. Right now I taped a few times around at that location but grommet is a must indeed or the cable will be cut over time I am sure.
I will post more pics once I have the harness installed properly.