Sponsored by:

Water pump disintegrated - pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 PM
sandersd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Water pump disintegrated - pics

I'm worried small pieces might be inside the motor cooling passages, but what can I do about it? Removing the motor is not realistic, maybe I can flush the cooling system?

Any suggestions?

Name:  rotor.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  23.3 KB
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 PM
infrasilver
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it was me I'd drain the system, disconnect all the coolant pipes from the engine and run a power washer through all the coolant passages both ways. Also remove the thermostat housing as pieces may of wedged themselves in there and that could cause over heating.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:59 PM
sandersd
Pro

Nothing in the thermostat housing...
Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I would start with flushing the system backwards to try to reverse the flow and get any pieces to return to the water pump area. This could be difficult as ther are several ways for the coolant to flow so if one is blocked by pieces the coolant my find the other passages and bypass any blockages.

How much of the impeller was in the water pump housing vs. how much might have flowed I to the engine. You might want to remove the oil pump housing as the coolant flows through it from the water pump housing. See it remnants are trapped in there. I will have to look around but somewhere I have a diagram that shows the coolant flows. When I find it I will post it here.

I guess this a good example of why many are now saying that the water pumps should be a maintenance item. Hope this works out for you.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I will have to look around but somewhere I have a diagram that shows the coolant flows. When I find it I will post it here.

I guess this a good example of why many are now saying that the water pumps should be a maintenance item. Hope this works out for you.
Thanks! That would be very helpful.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Short of hitting that plastic part with a hammer, how the F*** did that happen?
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 PM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Short of hitting that plastic part with a hammer, how the F*** did that happen?
I heard a rattling sound for about 3 days when I stopped at a light or idled. I couldn't figure out what it was but apparently it was the bearing in the water pump. I was on my way to work when it gave up. Luckily I was at a light and quickly pulled in a parking lot where my coolant drained out. Took 2 hours for the wrecker to arrive. Hauled it to the dealer who wanted $1400 to fix it, so I hauled it home and it's in the garage in pieces while I figure out how to install the stupid thermostat. Tomorrow I'll go to HD and pick up some tubing to make the special tool required...
Old 08-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sandersd
I heard a rattling sound for about 3 days when I stopped at a light or idled. I couldn't figure out what it was but apparently it was the bearing in the water pump. I was on my way to work when it gave up. Luckily I was at a light and quickly pulled in a parking lot where my coolant drained out. Took 2 hours for the wrecker to arrive. Hauled it to the dealer who wanted $1400 to fix it, so I hauled it home and it's in the garage in pieces while I figure out how to install the stupid thermostat. Tomorrow I'll go to HD and pick up some tubing to make the special tool required...
1400 bucks! Do ya get foreplay at least first?

Suncost sells the pump for 268 and book time is 4 hours but it won't take that long. Mines getting replaced Monday.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:42 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

It might be worth the $1400 if the dealer is going to thoroughly flush the system to get rid of any broken impeller pieces.

I've been thinking about proactively changing mine. From what I've read, draining/flushing/filling the coolant is the trickiest part. Not sure if I'm up to that challenge.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
It might be worth the $1400 if the dealer is going to thoroughly flush the system to get rid of any broken impeller pieces.
That would probably be $2800 at the dealer.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

Ouch!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
1400 bucks! Do ya get foreplay at least first?

Suncost sells the pump for 268 and book time is 4 hours but it won't take that long. Mines getting replaced Monday.
Make sure you have a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 10mm deep socket and if replacing the thermostat you'll need the special tool from LNE ($15), Porsche ($100), or diy one from tubing. You'll also need a 5mm hex to remove the coolant drain.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Had mine done the other day. I heard the noise you mention and thought it might be the IMS bearing. I did not drive the car again, but trailer'd it to my indy asap.

He replaced the pump, which was shot but it had not lost its seal and the impeller was in tact. He showed me another pump recently removed from a car where about a third of the impeller was broken off. He did have all of the large pieces.

The thing that amazed me about your story is you drove the car for several days AFTER hearing a foul noise from the engine......

Man, you are more brave than I!!!!!!

$1,400 is prolly on the high side for the pump R&R.

Mine was less than that and the job included new rollers (3) new belt and a recharge of coolant. All parts Porsche spec'ed and updated to newest release (such as pump and rollers).

Had I known it was a water pump, I might have tackled the job myself....... I dunno.

I had the plugs and coil packs replaced while they were at it. The car runs great and has 126k on the clock.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:52 AM
sandersd
Pro

Originally Posted by infrasilver
If it was me I'd drain the system, disconnect all the coolant pipes from the engine and run a power washer through all the coolant passages both ways.
This sounds simple so simple, but...
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like our original water pumps are nearing end of life, as we seem to be trending towards more replacements. I'm not hearing any issues with mine, but will probably get around to doing it in the fall.

Quick Reply: Water pump disintegrated - pics