Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
I only jack one side of the car up. No need to put the whole thing up on jackstands just for an oil change.

Agreed. and with a low profile oil drain pan I then let the jack down gently so the oil can flow from the front of the car (oil cooler is there) and let drain for an hour or two.

Backing up on ramps should in my mind leave oil in the oil cooler and lines. I have set an empty 2 # coffee can under the drain when the flow was down to dripping, and left the car sit over night. In the morning the can was full to the point of overflowing.

Refill takes all of 10 quarts, doing it this way......

jacking a car up by its engine is pure heresy in my book. NO EXCUSES.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretch
Agreed. and with a low profile oil drain pan I then let the jack down gently so the oil can flow from the front of the car (oil cooler is there) and let drain for an hour or two.

Backing up on ramps should in my mind leave oil in the oil cooler and lines. I have set an empty 2 # coffee can under the drain when the flow was down to dripping, and left the car sit over night. In the morning the can was full to the point of overflowing.

Refill takes all of 10 quarts, doing it this way......

jacking a car up by its engine is pure heresy in my book. NO EXCUSES.
Wow I had no idea that much additional oil would come out during that period of time.

I know I don't get all of it out but I'm doing about 3 oil changes a year so I figure 90% of the bad oil is being replaced with each change. It helps to make the whole process of changing the oil into just a simple 10 minute procedure.

As for jacking the engine, the only time I've done it was when disconnecting the motor mounts. I was nervous the whole time!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
this is such a silly thread... I back mine on to a set of ramps. But I have done it with out lifting at all.

That pix of the guy jacking his car with the engine case... OMG.....Put down the wrenches and slowly step away from the car.

Quick Reply: 996 oil change procedure