Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

So your 996 transmission is starting to howl or whine...

Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on Erik's assessment. I am pretty handy but ended up getting a used one off Ebay and have a couple of boxes sitting in the garage with tranny parts.

BTW: Are you interested Erik? 2nd gear synchro is bad though.

Last edited by flyingpenguin; 05-09-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:52 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sent you a PM Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Careful who you buy your rebuilt transmissions from... I wouldn't deal with GBOX; know lots of other customers who were ripped off... it's not about bad workmanship... that happens from time to time but to deliberately deceive customers... that's called FRAUD.

check this out:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/gbox-por...rado-d2005.htm
Old 11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

How does one equal lots?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltusler
How does one equal lots?
first of all there is a difference between fraud/misrepresentation and poor workmanship. I have posted Fraud... so even ONE post should concern anybody who does business with GBOX.

as for more... thanks for asking... they are on there way.! stay tuned - we will present real customers of GBOX who were defrauded... nothing to do with poor workmanship.. but deliberately LIED to and DEFRAUDED for services never performed and/or hardware promised but never delivered - and also sold used hardware when customers bought new.

in the market for a gearbox rebuild or repair... I highly suggest you look elsewhere.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Who is we, and are you all going to back your assertions in the court system?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Pmuney
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One is enough...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltusler
Who is we, and are you all going to back your assertions in the court system?
why do you ask... you affiliated with GBOX? afraid something will become of it? you should be. Clients who got ripped off and scammed aren't gonna roll over and play dead just yet.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If you change your trans and front dif oil on a regular basis I think you would see any issues earlier or maybe prevent them. 75-W90 Synthetic oil is cheap compared to a new trans and dif. I would change it at least every year or sooner since most of our cars spend most of their time garaged and will never come close to the recommended mileage intervals.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Tbred911 - I find it rather unfortunate that you continue to publish allegations that are simply not true with regard to the company I work for. I am very familiar with your build, and have the receipts to show and prove that the ring and pinion that you question was indeed brand new, even if it was originally date stamped in 08.

I think that perhaps you should look up the definition of libel, before continuing down this path. If you are still unhappy with the fact that Albins would not warranty your racing ring and pinion which you damaged after several years of use, then perhaps you should take your anger and fight directly to them. I do think that it is unfortunate that we were not able to get them to extend you a warranty on this item, but this was their decision, not ours.

As to any other possible issues, I suggest that you address these directly with us prior to posting here unless you intend to publish hearsay without the benefit of any context. I assume that these supposed additional issues did not happen directly to you?

As many will report and testify to, GBox has been in this business for quite some time. We would not be able to continue to offer the services that we do for our clients if what you suggest was actually the truth. This is a small industry, news travels fast, and what you are reporting here as fact just simply is not.

I apologize for addressing this in public, but we have tried and tried in the past to resolve this in other ways, unsuccessfully. I will not tolerate out and out lies to be laid out here as fact that have no basis in actual reality.

Have a good day everyone.

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GBoxguys
Tbred911 - I find it rather unfortunate that you continue to publish allegations that are simply not true with regard to the company I work for. I am very familiar with your build, and have the receipts to show and prove that the ring and pinion that you question was indeed brand new, even if it was originally date stamped in 08.

I think that perhaps you should look up the definition of libel, before continuing down this path. If you are still unhappy with the fact that Albins would not warranty your racing ring and pinion which you damaged after several years of use, then perhaps you should take your anger and fight directly to them. I do think that it is unfortunate that we were not able to get them to extend you a warranty on this item, but this was their decision, not ours.

As to any other possible issues, I suggest that you address these directly with us prior to posting here unless you intend to publish hearsay without the benefit of any context. I assume that these supposed additional issues did not happen directly to you?

As many will report and testify to, GBox has been in this business for quite some time. We would not be able to continue to offer the services that we do for our clients if what you suggest was actually the truth. This is a small industry, news travels fast, and what you are reporting here as fact just simply is not.

I apologize for addressing this in public, but we have tried and tried in the past to resolve this in other ways, unsuccessfully. I will not tolerate out and out lies to be laid out here as fact that have no basis in actual reality.

Have a good day everyone.

Erik Johnson
GBox LLC
Erik!

I just saw this post as I was searching to see who else you were planning to approach for a "job".

You NEVER followed up as you say in your email. Libel....? please.
You have NEVER followed up with me and tried to resolve it... show me ONE email where you tried to RESOLVE this as you say...

Erik your such a liar and and a crook and there are other who are just too proud to admit they were ripped off by you and they probably don't want to get harassed by you as well.

I for one am glad of the forums where we can share our stories about experience with different outfits.

You have NO customer service, portray USED parts for NEW and give bad advice just to serve your own commercial interests.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/gbox-por...rado-d2005.htm

Why don't others complain about you...? they will...wait and see... more stories on ripoffreport.com that's a promise for 2013 - more documented stories of your customers who got ripped of by YOU and GBOX.

hearsay? I've spoken to some of your customers as this community is pretty tight and I am appalled at what I have discovered about your previous dealings and how you've treated them.

Folks, when dealing with transmission work there are much more reputable shops to work with here; GBOX is not one of them based on my experience and the experience of others who will remain nameless at this time until they come forward.

As I've emailed you before I'm open to a settlement as I feel your shop has wronged me and I've been very patient with you and sought the opinion of other shops here. You let me know if you want to settle out of court.

Last edited by Tbred911; 02-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You know, this really doesnt seem fair to hash this out on the 996 forum but I would like to hear everything about any 996 trans build or problem because as I understand it there are only a few common faults with this trans. Sealed bearings seem to be the number one problem.

Are the replacement "open" bearings available for the DIY guys?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrazyK
You know, this really doesnt seem fair to hash this out on the 996 forum but I would like to hear everything about any 996 trans build or problem because as I understand it there are only a few common faults with this trans. Sealed bearings seem to be the number one problem.

parts are not the problem... it's who does the work... get somebody who will install NEW parts and KNOWS what they are doing.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
DrSins
2nd Gear

Thank you 450Knot, I suffered the same problem at 95,000 miles on my 2004 996 GT3. Despite my best attempts at changing the gearbox oil every year and being gentle with heel-toe changes, the whine got progressively louder.

The garage I go to wants $7000 for parts (ring gear and pinion shaft, with the two taper roller bearings) and labor. Can someone guide me if this is a fair price? If not, what is a fair price?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

I'm planning to take mine apart this winter. It was howlng like a strait cut gearbox, changed the oil to Lucas 75W90 and it quieted down a lot but the oil that came out was metalic grey so I'm on borrowed time. A bearing is coming apart in there for sure. I'll document my work and any alternative parts that may go back in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So your 996 transmission is starting to howl or whine...