996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine coolant lines - 2002 C4S

Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
jonhums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant lines - 2002 C4S

Having 42K miles and 10 years under its belt, I am concerned about the condition of my coolant lines. The maintenance records I have from day 1 show no work on these lines and to date no problems have arisen. Is there a time-based or mileage-based interval for replacing these rubber lines? Also is there an observable condition that would be a criteria for replacement?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look for cracking or leaking, I have yet to see any problems that wern't casued by road debris or oil/coolant mixing.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jonhums
Having 42K miles and 10 years under its belt, I am concerned about the condition of my coolant lines. The maintenance records I have from day 1 show no work on these lines and to date no problems have arisen. Is there a time-based or mileage-based interval for replacing these rubber lines? Also is there an observable condition that would be a criteria for replacement?
Over a year ago, make that over 2 years ago, my 02 Boxster's coolant tank split. At the dealer's service department I offered to let the tech cut the hoses at the tank to make the removal/installation easier. In fact mentioned replacing all coolant hoses along with the ones he cut.

He told me cutting the hoses and installing new ones doesn't buy a reduction in the cost of the coolant tank replacement and there is the cost of the hoses.

Also, he said he's never seen any bad hoses. They last a long time.

That was around 2 years ago. Fast forward and the car is now 10 years old and has over 257K miles and is on its original coolant hoses.

Absent any signs of hose deterioration/break down or a leak I'm leaving them alone and in service.

Now for you and your car, if you want the next time you have the car in the air and can get at the hoses look for any signs of hose break down. Generally this will show up as some sign fluid has been leaking at where a hose connects. The hose degrades at these locations first and at the bottom of the hose at these locations.

You can go further and grasp the hose so your finger tips are at the bottom of the hose and give the hose a hard squeeze like you are trying to force your fingers through the hose.

The hoses will develop a dry outer layer but the hose should still resist your fingers.

In the case of bad hoses it is not unknown for a mechanic to actually be able to put his fingers into a hose, the hose is so weak from age/exposure.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
jonhums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brad, Macster,

Thanks for feedback. I'll be under there this weekend and will check lines as recommended, but I don't expect any problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine coolant lines - 2002 C4S