Sponsored by:

High outside temp questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default High outside temp questions

Yesterday when I started my car and the engine was on 'tick over in the garage, The charger registered a normal 14 however when I got the temps up to about just over 180F during a run, probably nearer to 190, the charger was showing only 13. That was yesterday and the outside temp was well up in the 90s. More like about 100F. I have a radar scanner plugged into my cig lighter which went into a long winding sound and then said 'Battery low'. I take it at this point the rad and engine compartment fans were running full bore in an effort to cool the water system and engine compartment. I mean it was hot hot outside yesterday especially for the SE PA region and I was hammering the car showing off to my nephew who was in the car with me as I never let the revs drop below 4000 and maybe up to 6000 at times. The car ran like I expected it to do in tip top response to my driving.

Everything looks fine as I started it up this morning on tick over . Oil pressure as usual up on 5 and charger bang on 14. My question. Are those normal readings during hard driviong in very high outside temps? I will disconnect the battery today and bang it on an over night charge if you think that is necessary. What do you folks think? Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The regulator automatically adjust the voltage charge level within a fairly narrow range as a function of OAT, the higher the temperature the lower the battery voltage will be.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
The regulator automatically adjust the voltage charge level within a fairly narrow range as a function of OAT, the higher the temperature the lower the battery voltage will be.
Well that has certainly put my mind at ease. Thanks for replying.

Quick Reply: High outside temp questions