Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Had very similar symptoms on mine, turned out it was a stuck lifter. Good luck
Old 06-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Is that oil cooler the one fron LN? It switches out the OEM one that actually is a oil warmer for heating up the oil quickly for those winter days.
The fan switch operates which fan?

I don't know for sure but I think I may have over heated the engine not on the track but coming back from the track. It was a very humid day and hazy. Sitting in dead still traffic on the 401. I saw the temp gauge raise above past the 80's zero "0". but it stayed there for 60 seconds or so and then dropped down again when the car started moving again. It also did this again not long ago when I was stuck in traffic again. The first time though I think a saw a flashing light but it went away when the temperature dropped, no flashing light the second time but it was scary looking at the gauge going up and not being able to drive anywhere to get air flowing.
Greg, it's the high speed fans you want to hook up via switch to operate on demand.... EU can do it for you... this will eliminate what you saw in traffic... guaranteed. I've had it on my car for 3 years and it keeps the needle nice and strait on the hottest day.... tracking is different it helps bleed of heat faster but I also have a 3rd rad and that helps a bit ... oil cooler would be the final step...

as for the oil cooler I don't have one but am tempted to get one for next season as displayed on the LN engineering site... I'd go with a dual fan unit since your already starting a small project there...
Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 AM
robss996
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silotwo...John thank you for your response and thank you for sharing what your wife and you are dealing with. I hope she's feeling okay and enjoying her gardens! I wonder how many of us here have a loved one who is battling cancer? Thank you to the rest of you for your suggestions and welcomes. This community has so much inherent value.... it's not just about the immediate and generous sharing of valuable/knowledgeable information which is outstanding in it's own right, it's about connection and community, we know a little about John's life now we can all send along our thoughts. Cheers - R ( PS hey Macster, hope your balancing that laptop carefully on your lap while you cruise up the miles in your Boxster and only sending us insights and suggestions at the stop lights! )
Old 06-26-2012, 02:36 AM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by silotwo
Excellent perspective all the way around! At the end of the day it is a car, a machine. I bought my first 04 after saying for nearly 30 years that "someday" I'd own another Porsche. It was my wife who supported the decision with an "if you can pay for it, buy it, because sometimes someday never comes".

And now we deal with her "somedays" that she may never see as she has Ovarian Cancer. A little off topic - I just got back from three weeks in Tucson for work. My wife actually sent me photos of the cars via text messaging with a note saying " I know you miss your cars so here they are". How sweet. My wife has always loved to plant flowers around the homes, when I got home our property looked stunning - she had planted more flowers, and potted almost as many, than I had ever seen her do in over 25 years. I get it though - this is her someday - she is doing what she loves while she can.

I drive Porsches because I appreciate and respect the engineering, but most importantly because I truly enjoy the heck out of them. I don't care what the neighbors think, I don't care about what they drive or how they live.

In the big picture a Porsche is just a car, and if it breaks I'll get over it, it can be fixed, money can be earned.

Other things..... not so simple.

Make today your "someday".

Drive and enjoy.
John, incredibly poignant story that really puts things in perspective... Hit my wife and i like a ton of bricks. Thanks for sharing.

We both wish you health and happiness.

David
Old 06-26-2012, 11:48 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I do appreciate them. We know that we are not alone.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

John, thanks for sharing your very personal story. Best wishes to you and your wife.

David, I hope you and Mary are doing well. I always enjoy seeing both of you.

Rob, welcome to Rennlist....sorry it is under negative circumstances. If you add a few horsepower when you fix your engine, you won't feel nearly as bad about the money spent on the repair. Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dzaprev
I have 69 k on my 99 911 and don't have any problems ...should I be worried .
107k on mine & still going strong......
Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM
robss996
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Mfletch
John, thanks for sharing your very personal story. Best wishes to you and your wife.

David, I hope you and Mary are doing well. I always enjoy seeing both of you.

Rob, welcome to Rennlist....sorry it is under negative circumstances. If you add a few horsepower when you fix your engine, you won't feel nearly as bad about the money spent on the repair. Good luck.
Hey John thanks, sweet looking ride you have...exactly, I am now really looking very forward to making a stronger better engine out of all this. Only real sad part is it will all come together in time for storage with our not so cold but slightly messy east coast winter, big bummer. What we have yet to discover here is if this puppy did over heat, why? Have added maybe a liter of antifreeze to car only, during trip north from Orlando, was super hot there in April and slow at times on the I95 with easter wkd fender benders. Cat also went ( was gone prior to trip) could have created back pressure and heat?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
robss996
5th Gear

Sorry that should have been Hey Mark !
Old 07-12-2012, 05:22 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

Just buy a rebuilt engine from a reputable source and have it installed.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 PM
yellowspeed
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.8 Sleeved block LN

Hi Hardback,

My m96 engine failed at VIR in May. Looking into many options. One of them is sending the block to LN to get them to sleeve it to a 3.8. Then i would buy a head from vertex and have it all assembled by my mechanic. How was your 3.8 LN build experience? Flat 6 sounds like the most bullet proof option but so expensive.

mike
757-615-6005 cell
mhauser@centuryconcreteinc.com
Old 06-25-2014, 12:57 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowspeed
Hi Hardback,

My m96 engine failed at VIR in May. Looking into many options. One of them is sending the block to LN to get them to sleeve it to a 3.8. Then i would buy a head from vertex and have it all assembled by my mechanic. How was your 3.8 LN build experience? Flat 6 sounds like the most bullet proof option but so expensive.

mike
757-615-6005 cell
mhauser@centuryconcreteinc.com
I have over 20,000 miles on the 3.8 now. Runs like a champ. Confuses many guys at the track also. My decision to upgrade worked out really well and didn't cost as much as you would expect. My advice would be to spend the next 3-4 weeks researching builders and optional parts to strengthen the engine. The process took me 4 months so you'll need patience. Ill send email to elaborate if your interested.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Amille28
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to save money get a boxster 3.2 block and swap it out. I have 10000 mi on my swap and don't really notice the loss of 20hp. it was about 3000 as a DIY.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:27 AM
Razzel
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
I have over 20,000 miles on the 3.8 now. Runs like a champ. Confuses many guys at the track also. My decision to upgrade worked out really well and didn't cost as much as you would expect. My advice would be to spend the next 3-4 weeks researching builders and optional parts to strengthen the engine. The process took me 4 months so you'll need patience. Ill send email to elaborate if your interested.
Care sharing the cost and parts that went into this build? Looking into similar option myself..

Quick Reply: 996 engine rebuild just say no