996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Airbag light deactivated for good.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:34 PM
trapperdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light deactivated for good.

Got tired of looking at the illuminated airbag light all the time so I removed the instrument cluster and took out the bulb behind the airbag warning indicator. I noticed there were other bulb sockets with no bulb in them like PSM (my car doesn't have it), convertible top (ditto), and gas cap. I don't know why there wasn't a bulb there except a long time ago there was a gas cap recall, so I moved the air bag light bulb to that position and now all is right with the world (my world anyway). It took 30 minutes taking my time.

Here is a link to instrument cluster removal:
http://www.euroaddiction.net/forum/g...d-removal.html
Old 06-06-2012, 07:49 PM
bornrich
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will this really solve the problem? Is the airbag still fuctional with the light on ( or disconnected)? If so why hasn't been a fix all along?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Invius
Rennlist Member

I thought I lucked out when my light went off, but then it came back on again a few days later...I had been looking for a DIY to pull the cluster, great info, thanks Trapper.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why wouldn't you fix the root cause? I'd be scared that when I sold it I'd forget to put it back. Seems like that would be a huge liability.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah... why is your light on in the first place?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:27 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Seatbelt switch is a known issue and can be cleared with a durametric...
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So if the CEL comes on, let me guess. You go in and take that bulb out also? Note to self. When buying next Porsche 911 Get next PPI guy to check that all bulbs and clutch assistance spring are still where they are supposed to be especially if the cars PO likes to be a cheapskate and not have the necessary work done correctly on his vehicle. And you wonder why I have issues. Now is there a kinder or more civil way of posting this message I don't think so or if there is I don't know about it. ?
Old 06-07-2012, 01:08 AM
trapperdog
Instructor

Hurdi, I know it's hard but don't be a dick. The seat belt light issue is well known and can be a pain the the butt and expensive to fix. And even after spending many hundreds of dollars on new buckles, there is no guarantee the light won't come back on. And just so all of you know, even with the light on, the airbag functions normally so I'm not putting anyone in jeopardy. Jeesh. Unbelievable.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:13 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trapperdog
Hurdi, I know it's hard but don't be a dick. The seat belt light issue is well known and can be a pain the the butt and expensive to fix. And even after spending many hundreds of dollars on new buckles, there is no guarantee the light won't come back on. And just so all of you know, even with the light on, the airbag functions normally so I'm not putting anyone in jeopardy. Jeesh. Unbelievable.
Actually, there is a cheap, guaranteed way to address that problem: pay your mechanic with a PIWIS to recode your airbag module to ignore the buckles altogether. Done! Should cost you maybe $50 for their time.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Think you will find a 220Ohm resistor across the circuit will sort it too.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:10 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trapperdog
(not picking a fight) but how would you know with certainty that the airbag(s) still work? The only time you REALLY know the airbag(s) work is when they deploy.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
(not picking a fight) but how would you know with certainty that the airbag(s) still work? The only time you REALLY know the airbag(s) work is when they deploy.
I hope I NEVER have to find out that my air bags work. But very true.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Actually, there is a cheap, guaranteed way to address that problem: pay your mechanic with a PIWIS to recode your airbag module to ignore the buckles altogether. Done! Should cost you maybe $50 for their time.
Sorry, that can not be done.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loren
Sorry, that can not be done.
Not to be an ****, but why would I post that information if it can't be done? Loren, I have a 2002 996 C2 and I just did this two weeks ago: not only did I change the airbag module coding to "ignore" the seat belt buckles, but I changed the coding to also ignore the two rear seatbelt retractors. Why do you feel it cannot be done? I am in San Diego and race the car with the PCA/POC so you're welcome to check out my car in case it's an anomaly!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Not to be an ****, but why would I post that information if it can't be done? Loren, I have a 2002 996 C2 and I just did this two weeks ago: not only did I change the airbag module coding to "ignore" the seat belt buckles, but I changed the coding to also ignore the two rear seatbelt retractors. Why do you feel it cannot be done? I am in San Diego and race the car with the PCA/POC so you're welcome to check out my car in case it's an anomaly!
Hey, I'll drive down to San Diego so you can do mine. What will you charge me Then I can attest to the validity of your claim

Quick Reply: Airbag light deactivated for good.