Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   IVE BEEN ROCKED (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/698855-ive-been-rocked.html)

996 FAN 05-27-2012 09:17 PM

IVE BEEN ROCKED

I was driving on freeway and a rock came flying from a truck, or car, not sure which, and a rock bounced off my windshield (passenger's part of windshield). :crying: Now I have a small (dime size) very noticable rock ding in my windshield. I see a lot of commericals for safelite auto glass repair. They advertise that if its small rock ding, they can fill it. Has anyone had experience with them? Can this be fixed with filling or do I need a full windshield replacement? Thanks Guys.

rpm's S2 05-27-2012 09:42 PM

Your insurance company will kindly make that decision for you.

Dennis C 05-27-2012 09:43 PM

It can probably be filled if it's not too large.

I go through a windshield every year. Where I live, they use gravel instead of salt.

Don't sweat it. It will be fine.

golftime 05-27-2012 10:01 PM

Depending on how many miles you have and how weathered, i.e. sand-blasted your windshield is, sometimes it is advisable to consider an entire new windshield when something like this occurs. It can make a world of difference on overall vision. Of course the insurance company will undoubtedly weigh in on this also.

Hardback 05-27-2012 10:17 PM

In my area a crack or large chip is replaced free of charge regardless of deductible limits. Safety concern... Read your policy for remedy.

street rod 05-27-2012 11:32 PM

I have probably had 5 done in the past couple years on my audi and p car. It will most likely be free from your insurance company to just get it filled, however do not expect it to look perfect. You will still be able to see the ding. It mostly just keeps it from spreading into a large crack. Now I do everything in my power not to drive behind a large truck. The larger the vehicle the more chance of getting a rock launched in your direction.

fpb111 05-28-2012 12:43 AM

We got a small Star in the passenger's side the 2nd month after buying our ML350. I called safelight and they came out and repaired it in pk lot at work. $45 at the time. That was in 2004.
Still have the same windshield in the truck, crack never spread. Insurance would have covered new windshield but I did not want to disturb the "new" factory seal at the time, unless I had to.

otto06 05-28-2012 12:46 AM

The fill stops the crack from getting bigger but doesn't hide it really. What your insurance company does depends on the company. Mine it's free for safelite fix and $100 for a new windshield - the coverage is a rider I had to add for $6.00 per year. I often have to get this done to my truck - and usually if the chip is in my main line of site out the windshield - I replace it - and if it's someplace I don't stare at all the time I do the repair.

Hurdigurdiman 05-28-2012 09:10 AM

I heard a stone or something hit the windshield the other day. It left a 1/4 inch ding in the glass. Hardly noticable as it is up high on my side. I will leave it as it is very small. Genuine wear and tare on any car.

street rod 05-28-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman (Post 9566043)
I heard a stone or something hit the windshield the other day. It left a 1/4 inch ding in the glass. Hardly noticable as it is up high on my side. I will leave it as it is very small. Genuine wear and tare on any car.

Hurdi if I were you I would get that ding filled. Its usually free and could spread into a large crack especially when winter gets here and you go from warm garage into freezing weather. They use a clear UV cureable resin that will crosslink inside the ding or crack and seal it off.

Read this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...torsports.html

Capt. Obvious 05-29-2012 01:38 PM

If you can live with seeing the ding in the glass, get it "filled" immediately to keep it from spreading. Like everyone else mentioned, it will protect the chip and keep it from spreading, but it won't hide it.

I priced out a new windshield a few weeks ago because mine is starting to show its age and it was about $900 installed from a Safelite.

996 FAN 05-31-2012 09:28 PM

Thanks everybody. I called my insurance company and they cover it at no charge, so I called Safelite auto glass repair and they came to my house and filled the windshield ding. They did a good job, filled it so it wont spread. Thanks again to all.

function12 06-01-2012 12:26 PM

I have had good luck with Safelite on other cars. Have not tried them on a Porsche yet but I would recomend them.

Byprodriver 06-01-2012 03:54 PM

FYI these glass "star" repair kits are available at most auto parts stores for $10.

A friend of mine has a Maybach 62S with the Panoramic roof. (tinted glass)
Something made a tiny "star" at the edge of the roof unbeknown to him until it spread 3 feet in several directions. New roof panel only available at the dealer: $20,000 installed! :banghead:

rpm's S2 06-01-2012 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Byprodriver (Post 9578298)
FYI these glass "star" repair kits are available at most auto parts stores for $10.

A friend of mine has a Maybach 62S with the Panoramic roof. (tinted glass)
Something made a tiny "star" at the edge of the roof unbeknown to him until it spread 3 feet in several directions. New roof panel only available at the dealer: $20,000 installed! :banghead:

Well... so much for that 'buy a Maybach' idea I was toying with. :rolleyes: