Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I want to sell my '04 996 but don't want it to get ruined during all the test drives

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Mister Quickie
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I want to sell my '04 996 but don't want it to get ruined during all the test drives

Carmax offered me $28k for my '04 996 w/33.9k miles, dealer maintained, no mods. The 7 day offer expires Monday and I want to use the weekend to see if I can get more.

Realizing that C/L would be a waste of everyone's time, any buyers would still want to test drive it.

What are the best measures to have in place to ensure that a buyer doesn't drive it, break something, and walk off leaving my Carmax offer invalid?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not a car dealer!

I would only allow someone to drive my car who was serious about purchasing and ready to put up the money. Send people who want to see how a 911 drives to a dealer so its not your problem and only allow someone who is dead set on your car and ready to make a deal.

At no time allow anyone to drive the car without you! And do not allow them to beat on it.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Thats not a bad offer... Im quite surprised actually. I tried to sell them a truck once and they lowballed me.
How much better do you think you can do?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"You listed this midlife crisis on the Internet....How hard can this be?"

-Eric
Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I've sold 2 cars on Craigslist.
It's not hard to qualify serious buyers.
You have to let them test drive your specific car or no one will buy it - would you?
Just sit in the passenger seat.

if you want a completely 100% risk free experience then sell to carmax and be done with it.
Retailing yourself - I bet you could sell it for low to mid 30's.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

You might also try auto trader or cars.com I thought one had a car buying service too. I used a place here in Houston called IQ auto buyers. Gave me 30k for my 04 40th with almost 70k on it last year. They started at 28k and I said I need more than that. 2k just for asking.

Are you buying another car? If so a trade might be better because of sales tax. In TX you only pay tax on the difference. So you could save more there then the diiference in an out right sale.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:06 PM
harddock
AutoX

I was never a big fan of test rides. I would take you (the potential buyer) for a ride, show you that it shifted as should, let go of the wheel at speed to show no shimmy, slam on the brakes with hands of the wheel to show it stopped straight and anything else I could think of that would concern the buyer but all done at my control. ( idon't need Mayhem test piloting my car) That usually was enough to convince them if the car was good or bad. Most will want a third party inspection and if they are willing to pay for it I know they are serious. I have a very well respected mechanic and suggest they use him. I fully trust him with my car.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:09 PM
CharlieWest
Cruisin'

I've always found Carmax to give low offers, and I think this is another example. You could get low-to-mid 30s privately. Any dealer is going to make $4-5k on you. Put it on Cars.com and Autotrader. Also try Pelican Parts and Rennlist. Reserve the right to do the test drive yourself. You'll know whether the person can drive when you meet them.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure where you are, Mr.Q, but C/L is pretty strong where I live. I sold a Mercedes and a 67 MG there, as well as found my 996. I wouldn't discount it as a very inexpensive tool to cast a wider net.

Other advice here is sound.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the carmax deal!

Originally Posted by Mister Quickie
Carmax offered me $28k for my '04 996 w/33.9k miles, dealer maintained, no mods. The 7 day offer expires Monday and I want to use the weekend to see if I can get more.

Realizing that C/L would be a waste of everyone's time, any buyers would still want to test drive it.

What are the best measures to have in place to ensure that a buyer doesn't drive it, break something, and walk off leaving my Carmax offer invalid?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

That seems like a very strong offer from CarMax. I am surprised. What do you think it would sell for privately?
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You need to be a good judge of character. When I was young(er), I never knew when a buyer was serious or not. These days I can spot 'em pretty well, I think. When I sold my 996, as it happens, the first guy to look at it (saw it via an eBay auction) was serious, called me that night, drove it the next morning (in the rainy darkness) had a PPI by lunch and I had the money by 2:00.

If you're going to be all nervous about potential mayhem "buyers", then Carmax is your best bet.

Then again, I've sold a lot of cars, and I've never had anyone beat it up on a test drive. Corvettes, Porsches (3), BMWs... most people are respectful. Now dealer cars, they get beat up a lot more I'm sure.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:07 PM
URQ
Intermediate

You drive it first with them in the passenger seat.
Tell them p cars need to warm up. While ur driving you can guage if he/she is worthy of switching positions with you.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:38 PM
otto06
Instructor

I just finished my search for a 996 - and I drove every car that I looked at - several without the owner in the car. I would never buy a 996 I hadn't driven and your competition that is selling as well will absolutely let them do it. That is a solid wholesale offer for your car - at least in So Cal. I don't think they 'lowballed you' - All dealers pay wholesale for the car - they have to resell it. I looked at an 03 cab with 40k miles on it at carmax at the price was 29.9.

If you want to see other offers - autotrader will put it out to other dealers in your area and you can see what they would be willing to pay.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
dotframe
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd probably take the Carmax deal and be done with it. That seems like a reasonable offer.

Quick Reply: I want to sell my '04 996 but don't want it to get ruined during all the test drives