996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Choices to make... Targa or TT?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:39 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices to make... Targa or TT?!

Ok, I've been looking for sometime now for a 996 and my wife has given me the go ahead to increase my buying budget and it will allow me into 996 turbo territory. I had just found a beautiful 03 targa nicely maintained one owner car with some tasteful upgrades with low miles 30k. And when she gave me the thumbs up on the an increase in price I found a 2 car owner 02 turbo with 62k on the clock. Now my problem is which car to pick. I do like the targa a lot looks, style, low mileage, one owner but on the other hand the turbo is a TURBO but its got double the mileage and I know that the clutch has yet to be changed so I'll be looking at that expense as well. Then I read that the coolant lines in the turbo should be welded or pinned down to the engine and thats gonna cost another $2k. I would be happy with either but was wondering if the $10k or so price difference to jump from an NA to a Turbo is worth it. Nice problem to have I know but its like standing at a toy store figuring which toy to buy. I could buy the targa and have $10k in my pocket and not worry about having to spend more money for a new clutch, brakes and other stuff with a car with the double miles although it is a turbo....
Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM
ChristopherG
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're content to enjoy your cars in stock form and not of the more power is better school of thought the targa would be great.

If you can't leave anything stock and always want more power the turbo is the way to go.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Figure out which camp you are in on the "bearing that shall not be named" issue. If you think it should be preventatively upgraded then that plus the other "while you are in there" stuff will partially close the gap on the costs you are going to incur on the turbo.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 PM
PcarDrmr
Advanced

If I picked up the targa it would definitely be upgraded... so that would run me about $2500 with other while i was in there stuff. The turbo on the other hand with the double miles and a $10k price difference would cost me another $4k for clutch and while your in there stuff, plus another $2k to have the coolant lines welded/pinned down to engine.. So all in all if I went into the turbo I'm looking at another $16k or so...
Old 04-28-2012, 03:46 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Targa=fewer tickets!
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no regrets on my C4 but if I were shopping now I would be shopping for a C4S or Turbo. A lot of things go into that that may or may not be true for some. Wide body look is number one reason.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive them both then decide. My guess is the turbo will win you over. Targas are interesting but you will grow out of it whereas the turbo will always put a grin on your face. 415 HP, wide body, loaded with options... AWD. Do it...
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

turbo, no contest.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

GT3...
Sorry.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Targa for cruising and good first Porsche enjoyment. Turbo for performance...

Id go Targa for the first 911, then think 997 C4S / Turbo for the next one
Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Targa for cruising and good first Porsche enjoyment. Turbo for performance...
Get them both?

+1 on styling preference on the wide body. I love my targa, but also love the looks of the wide body rear-ends.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't afford a Turbo, so that wasn't a choice. I might have afforded a C4S, though. They're priced similarly enough to the Targas on the used market.

BUT, I had never owned a rear wheel drive car. I wanted to start there. I may go for a Turbo one day, but I'm certainly happy with mine.

Here's the thing. If you buy the Targa, it would be easy to find yourself thinking, 'what if i had got the turbo?'. So do this:

1) Admit to yourself that, once you buy a P-Car, you will always have a P-car. All of us here are in that camp.
2) Put a Turbo on your list for your next purchase. Think of it as executing a long-term strategy.
3) Use the money you save on extra bonuses - track time and tires.
4) Learn to drive the Targa to it's fullest capabilities and then you will really appreciate what the Turbo offers.

Or buy the Turbo.

Enjoy!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PcarDrmr
Ok, I've been looking for sometime now for a 996 and my wife has given me the go ahead to increase my buying budget and it will allow me into 996 turbo territory. I had just found a beautiful 03 targa nicely maintained one owner car with some tasteful upgrades with low miles 30k. And when she gave me the thumbs up on the an increase in price I found a 2 car owner 02 turbo with 62k on the clock. Now my problem is which car to pick. I do like the targa a lot looks, style, low mileage, one owner but on the other hand the turbo is a TURBO but its got double the mileage and I know that the clutch has yet to be changed so I'll be looking at that expense as well. Then I read that the coolant lines in the turbo should be welded or pinned down to the engine and thats gonna cost another $2k. I would be happy with either but was wondering if the $10k or so price difference to jump from an NA to a Turbo is worth it. Nice problem to have I know but its like standing at a toy store figuring which toy to buy. I could buy the targa and have $10k in my pocket and not worry about having to spend more money for a new clutch, brakes and other stuff with a car with the double miles although it is a turbo....
Okay, so let's see, half the mileage, 1 year newer, 1 owner, and needs nothing vs. the complete opposite...

Quick Reply: Choices to make... Targa or TT?!