Sponsored by:

996 spoiler problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 PM
rusailing
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 spoiler problems

Hi, I realise this is a regular topic but not seen this problem answered...

Anyone know the PorscheDoc?

Have a 98' 996. The spoiler is stuck 'up'. On re-setting the ignition (turning off/back on), the lower button will lower the spoiler about 2cm and then it stops. The 12v is removed from the 'lower' function as soon as the spoiler up limit switch is de-activated.

I am an electronics engineer and have eliminated a problem in the spoiler meachanism through 1) thorough electrical testing of limit switches and 2) fooling the system by simulating the limit switches with external manual switches.

I have also verified the relevant electrical connections all the way back to the connector on the back of the instrument cluster. All OK.

If i manually drive the spoiler down (by connecting 12v directly to the motor) then when i press the 'up' button the spoiler raises all the way but continues to drive up even though the up limit switch is electrically made. It only stops when it appears to time-out. This has partially damaged the rack and pinion drive although it does still work OK mechanically. From this position, it will not drive down unless the ignition is turned off and then back on. It then lowers just the 2cm i mentioned earlier.

What logic drives the spoiler? Can it have somhow been 'fooled' and now in a mixed up state?? From my tests, it's almost certainly a problem in the control of the spoiler.

Have done a battery out reset with th espoiler both up and down but made no difference.

I would very much appreciate your views on this.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Quick Reply: 996 spoiler problems