996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2

Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
Cant hurt to try a manual adjustment. I think it has a stop screw???

You can always put it back. I cant see why it wouldnt work.

If not stop screw im sure it wouldnt be too hard to fab something up as simple as a shim or as nice as a stop screw
There is a stop screw. You can turn it to adjust the throttle plate...never tried it though
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I thought I could do. I have a 1973 sc with hand throttle and a 3.2 transplant. I have to adjust the idle with the hand throttle or it will too fall on its face if rpms are below 1000. The 3.2 is not experiencing anything negative so I figured, why not on my 996. I just wanna bump up the thottle a bit. Im machining a couple of metal beads to use as temporary shims on the throttle cable, these should help remove the slack. Im gonna try to slowly turn the stop screw in. this should do it, I think.

Last edited by Bretech; 04-16-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bretech
Dont judge mate. Every 996 and 986 ive driven has this issue. I resolved my problem by removing the ziptie from the plunger switch on the clutch. Now she revs nicely into a takeoff. Those porsche engineers managed to screw many engines so dont hold them in a high place. I drive 944 cup cars, I have 2 sc pcars and ive been driving manual since the 80s. Your novice comment is simply rubbish. Good day.
Novice comment and mate of yours I am neither. So are you saying that EVERY 996 and 986 you have driven you manage to stall on take off. The racing track seems to be the best place for you to be then. God forbid you should loose a split second on take off at a race meeting. Porsche put zipties on plunger switches on the clutch????? Give me a brake. excuse the pun lol
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Novice comment and mate of yours I am neither. So are you saying that EVERY 996 and 986 you have driven you manage to stall on take off. The racing track seems to be the best place for you to be then. God forbid you should loose a split second on take off at a race meeting. Porsche put zipties on plunger switches on the clutch????? Give me a brake. excuse the pun lol
alright, alright. I apologize for being a punk. now if youre not helping whut are you doing? btw these are called modifications, thats all...so its cool if ya dont respond. Im just another pcar owner who lives in la, ca. Its the car capital of the world. ya gotta move fast so I gotta modify. im positive im not doing your head in. go for a drive.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

alright, alright. I apologize for being a punk. now if youre not helping whut are you doing? btw these are called modifications, thats all...so its cool if ya dont respond. Im just another pcar owner who lives in la, ca. Its the car capital of the world. ya gotta move fast so I gotta modify. im positive im not doing your head in. go for a drive.
No need to apologize. I dont think you are a punk either. Modifications I agree with to a certain extent provided they dont interfere with the actual running parts of the Porsche. I must admit I don't know anything about the technical side of tracking a car. I would think that on fast take off something has to wear. Like either the tires or clutch or both. I didnt realize after your first posting that you actually tracked the vehicle. I would not have responded like I did had I known. So it's me who should be apologizing to you not the other way around. Go for it, give it some clog. Just be prepared to change tires and clutch more often than the street drivers.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM
Bretech
Instructor

No need to apologize. I dont think you are a punk either. Modifications I agree with to a certain extent provided they dont interfere with the actual running parts of the Porsche. I must admit I don't know anything about the technical side of tracking a car. I would think that on fast take off something has to wear. Like either the tires or clutch or both. I didnt realize after your first posting that you actually tracked the vehicle. I would not have responded like I did had I known. So it's me who should be apologizing to you not the other way around. Go for it, give it some clog. Just be prepared to change tires and clutch more often than the street drivers.
I doubt it will do that. My intention is to not have to rev the engine for the clutch to engage and go. Im not trying to launch from every light. The point is for the car to start moving when the clutch makes contact. The higher idle should actually save my clutch from an over rev, which ive done several times. The clutch on these cars has no feel from factory so some remove the spring. I cant do daily driving without it, so I added a clutch stop, making the clutch engagement point more predictable. The other problem I have to overcome is the stall if u dont blip the throttle to above 1k rpms. I cleaned the maf and I have improved things. I still think that an extra 50-100 rpm is the trick to a nice clean normal car take off, not a race car launch. I think porsche was trying to keep mpg's up so they took the idle down a notch. I didnt buy this thing for economy so I say screw it. Im going for it.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

bretech: like your avatar - sold my double red seadweller 3 years ago - replaced it witha yr 2000 GMT11 which i really like
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Bretech
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
bretech: like your avatar - sold my double red seadweller 3 years ago - replaced it witha yr 2000 GMT11 which i really like
Thanks! I love Double Reds too. 1665 is my grail watch so it has to be a great white for now. I gotta say impressive collection of past and present cars!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,412 Likes on 2,687 Posts

thx
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

ah not to get away from the thread but it appears that Porsche drivers wear Rolex Watches. Myself I sport a Rolex yachtmaster. I have a super wife who simply spoils the hell out of me lol. Maybe someone should start a thread to find out how many Porsche owners wear Rolex watches.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Rolex here, but you are a dumb *** for getting married. Unless when someone asks you where your wife is, you can answer "shopping with my girlfriend"
Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Bretech
Instructor

ah not to get away from the thread but it appears that Porsche drivers wear Rolex Watches. Myself I sport a Rolex yachtmaster. I have a super wife who simply spoils the hell out of me lol. Maybe someone should start a thread to find out how many Porsche owners wear Rolex watches.
Platty or two tone?
Old 04-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Platty or two tone?
Mines a white face, Gold movable bezel with Gold through center of strap. Oh and Shark Attack. Wife said tell that guy that I wouldn't have a Rolex and more importantly a Porch 996 if I wasn't married to her first LOL.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Ha ha. I see... I just have a cheap one, gold face, mens date-just with a white-gold bezel and stainless band.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
JL911
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread but I am wondering if the OP ever tried adjusting the throttle body set screw and if so how did it turn out. Thinking of doing this myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjusting idle speed on a 1999 c2