Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Pulled the trigger on 4 new Sumis.... (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/690373-pulled-the-trigger-on-4-new-sumis.html)

Barn996 04-09-2012 04:34 PM

Pulled the trigger on 4 new Sumis....

Just ordered 4 Sumitimo HTR Z III; 235/40 ZR/18 F, and 285/30 ZR/18 R from Damon @ Tirerack, no affiliation, just a happy customer. I am finally upgrading from stock 17" wheels to a set of 18" TRMotosports wheels I bought from a fellow Rennlister just before Christmas. I can now leave my Blizzaks on the 17" OEM twist wheels and not have to change tires twice a year at $80 a pop.,plus all the new scratches and dings I seem to inherit each changeover. I'll post some pics once the tires arrive and are mounted and balanced.
I was told that these wheels need to be reverse mounted:evilgrin:, can someone explain that to me?

yank_my_chain 04-09-2012 05:27 PM

I ordered the identical set from Damon on Friday. I'm sitting in Tire Discounters getting the rear tires installed as I write this. I could only fit two in the car at a time. Just gives me another excuse to go for a drive.

Ericginpa 04-09-2012 05:44 PM

[QUOTE
I was told that these wheels need to be reverse mounted:evilgrin:, can someone explain that to me?[/QUOTE]

The rim needs to go onto the machine with the face of the rim facing down. Becauseof the offset the rim has a deep shoulder on the out side,whereas the inside has a much shallower shoulder. The tire needs to be mounted&dismounted from the back. I just did my 19s this way. Was the first time ever had to do it that way. The factory rims don't require it. Hope that helped kinda hard to articulate it.

Topaz330ci 04-09-2012 05:50 PM

Bought the same opnes last summer, from Damon as well... Very happy with them, but I originally wanted the Hankooks. Due to availability I settled for the Sumi's.

Barn996 04-09-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ericginpa (Post 9431344)
[QUOTE
I was told that these wheels need to be reverse mounted:evilgrin:, can someone explain that to me?

The rim needs to go onto the machine with the face of the rim facing down. Becauseof the offset the rim has a deep shoulder on the out side,whereas the inside has a much shallower shoulder. The tire needs to be mounted&dismounted from the back. I just did my 19s this way. Was the first time ever had to do it that way. The factory rims don't require it. Hope that helped kinda hard to articulate it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Sounds like a good explanation.

Down South 04-09-2012 06:46 PM

I've had these tires for about a year. No issues. Good value for the price.

DreamCarrera 04-09-2012 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Down South (Post 9431530)
I've had these tires for about a year. No issues. Good value for the price.

+1

I've had the IIIs(17") on my 996 for over a year now and I have no complaints. I previously had PS2s on the car and the IIIs compare very well to them IMHO, especially for the price. Also, you will love the wet weather handling of the IIIs.

Barn, let us know how the 18s feel compared to the 17s. I've considered switching to 18s but I really love how the lightweight 17s feel(I have the light factory 17" 993 cup wheels). I swear I can feel the extra unsprung weight of the 18s on the few occasions I have driven 996s equipped with 18" wheels.

Paseb 04-09-2012 07:40 PM

been running the sumi on my 4s, gt3 and cayman s

good for the money!

brad@tirerack.com 04-09-2012 08:17 PM

Glad to hear the feedback guys. Thanks again Stephen, hope you like them!

Dennis C 04-09-2012 08:24 PM

I think the Sumitomo HTR ZIII is a good tire for the money. I bought a set from Tire Rack a few years ago.

I have gone back to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s for this set of summer rubber. I have a new set in my garage, mounted on my summer wheels. I should be able to put them on the car in the next couple of weeks. I've always been a fan of Michelins, and I really wish they would make the Pilot Super Sports in the proper sizes for the C4S.

Barn996 04-09-2012 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera (Post 9431643)
+1

I've had the IIIs(17") on my 996 for over a year now and I have no complaints. I previously had PS2s on the car and the IIIs compare very well to them IMHO, especially for the price. Also, you will love the wet weather handling of the IIIs.

Barn, let us know how the 18s feel compared to the 17s. I've considered switching to 18s but I really love how the lightweight 17s feel(I have the light factory 17" 993 cup wheels). I swear I can feel the extra unsprung weight of the 18s on the few occasions I have driven 996s equipped with 18" wheels.

The 18" wheels I have should be lighter than OEM 18" by several pounds, maybe even lighter than my 17s. Don't know if that difference will be something I'll be able to detect or not.

Sneaky Pete 04-09-2012 10:31 PM

Very nice Steve...you will like the tire. I have 235's in front and noticed the steering wheel is a little heavier. I have 4 sets of the Sumi's than went on to the Pilot Supers. May go back to the Sumi's once these are gone. They will be greasy for a few hundred miles......but that is the same for all new shoes.

uberskier 04-09-2012 10:35 PM

Agreed, great tire for the price. I don't have the ability to out drive these tires. Once I can drive better, then perhaps the Michelins.

vwillo1 04-10-2012 11:46 PM

Love these tires. Tire Rack as well for all my vehicles. Damon can I get a discount coupon, lol.

gota911 04-11-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Barn996 (Post 9431126)
Just ordered 4 Sumitimo HTR Z III; 235/40 ZR/18 F, and 285/30 ZR/18 R from Damon @ Tirerack, no affiliation, just a happy customer. I am finally upgrading from stock 17" wheels to a set of 18" TRMotosports wheels I bought from a fellow Rennlister just before Christmas. I can now leave my Blizzaks on the 17" OEM twist wheels and not have to change tires twice a year at $80 a pop.,plus all the new scratches and dings I seem to inherit each changeover. I'll post some pics once the tires arrive and are mounted and balanced.

Reverse mounted? Man, those 285s are going to look huge on the front, the the 235s will look strange on the rear! :roflmao: :roflmao: