Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Clutch stop fixed my iffy clutch, have a q though (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/689543-clutch-stop-fixed-my-iffy-clutch-have-a-q-though.html)

Bretech 04-04-2012 11:33 AM

Clutch stop fixed my iffy clutch, have a q though

Ive tried everything, home depot springs, specialty springs, no spring but the clutch just never felt right. No spring, or a weaker spring wont work for me since im in traffic often. My leg can handle the work, its the bottom of my feet that were taking a beating. Well after a month of battling stalls, and awkward take offs, I decided to add a clutch stop, added my stock helper spring, and zip tied the plunger switch on the clutch pedal, and also ziptied the clutch starter switch. The clutch stop wont let me start the car so I had to zip tie the start switch. Now the clutch engages perfectly everytime, and at a nice low point from clutch pedal release. My question though, will zip tying the start switch cause damage? I have other cars that dont have start switches so Im no dummy, clutch is always in when I start em up.

logray 04-04-2012 11:45 AM

Don't think having the start switch tied will cause damage no, unless you forget to put the clutch in if it is in gear when you start or forget to have it in neutral when you start.

Riad 04-04-2012 12:03 PM

Yeah, that's um, probably not a good idea. :confused:

Bretech 04-04-2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Riad (Post 9418286)
Yeah, that's um, probably not a good idea. :confused:

really? My sc doesnt have a start switch, and no probs there. Whuts different about my 13 yr old 996?

Riad 04-04-2012 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bretech (Post 9418392)
really? My sc doesnt have a start switch, and no probs there. Whuts different about my 13 yr old 996?

Nothing mechanical, just safety concerns. If you valet the car, or you forget and they leave it in gear... well

Bretech 04-04-2012 12:41 PM

Ok, fair enuff. Im old skool so the switch delete stays. No valets for me, and I never put my car in gear, unless I parked on a hill, or incline. Some safety stuff is made for grandmas, kids, and just plain ol dummys I suppose, which is why I always put the clutch in. I have accidentally turned the key on before, and lurched the car forward in gear, but I was a kid, or dumb that day. Its kinda nice to finally not stall in traffic though, so ill take the trade off

bgrpph 04-04-2012 11:04 PM

i'm definitely a dummy!!
working on my '77 911 in garage many yrs ago- reached thru window to start car again as i'd done a few times already-- i knew it was in neutral and didn't check-

(forgot that i put it in reverse)- turned key- car began to jump backwards and started- oh ****- by time i turned key off- the drivers door edge hit garage wall as car continued slowly backward door ended up parallel to front fender- and i was almost wedged against side of garage door jam as i tried to turn it off- expensive lesson-

i don't mind having to push in clutch to start in my 02 996- i did take out the clutch helper spring and wired up the plunger switch though

mikeswift 04-05-2012 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bretech (Post 9418190)
Ive tried everything, home depot springs, specialty springs, no spring but the clutch just never felt right. No spring, or a weaker spring wont work for me since im in traffic often. My leg can handle the work, its the bottom of my feet that were taking a beating. Well after a month of battling stalls, and awkward take offs, I decided to add a clutch stop, added my stock helper spring, and zip tied the plunger switch on the clutch pedal, and also ziptied the clutch starter switch. The clutch stop wont let me start the car so I had to zip tie the start switch. Now the clutch engages perfectly everytime, and at a nice low point from clutch pedal release. My question though, will zip tying the start switch cause damage? I have other cars that dont have start switches so Im no dummy, clutch is always in when I start em up.

Could you please take a picture of this setup, I am having the same problem as you. The bottom of my feet is just killing me.

Bretech 04-05-2012 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by mikeswift (Post 9420359)
Could you please take a picture of this setup, I am having the same problem as you. The bottom of my feet is just killing me.

Here ya go, simple, and prob not the best But it gets the job done, and no one looks down there to notice anything. I wasnt going to drill into the car so I simply drilled into the pedal, secured a bolt going though it, and added a rubber stop. I still have to velcro a rubber, or carbon fiber pad I'm making, to the carpet so that it doesnt wear into it. final steps will be to paint it black, clean my carpeting and replace the mats with black ones.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...3644303491.jpg

mikeswift 04-05-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bretech (Post 9422022)
Here ya go, simple, and prob not the best But it gets the job done, and no one looks down there to notice anything. I wasnt going to drill into the car so I simply drilled into the pedal, secured a bolt going though it, and added a rubber stop. I still have to velcro a rubber, or carbon fiber pad I'm making, to the carpet so that it doesnt wear into it. final steps will be to paint it black, clean my carpeting and replace the mats with black ones.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...3644303491.jpg

Where is the zip tie to stop the ignition lock till you press the clutch? Is that it in your picture?

Bretech 04-05-2012 07:57 PM

No, but if you look up on the pedal lever, ull see a black switch with an exposed metal contact. If u pull down on the contact, toward the floor of the car, youll hear it click. Doesnt take much force. Ull see only 2 switches on the clutch. The plunger, is for the anti-stall mapping, thats not it