996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 squealing from engine bay. Possible AOS failure. Ideas? *video attached*

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 04:13 PM
skablaw
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 squealing from engine bay. Possible AOS failure. Ideas? *video attached*

Hello all!

A few months ago my 2001 996 C4 made a high pitched squealing noise that started while driving in town. When I arrived home, I shut things down and thought I'd drop by my indie to check on it the next day, but it fired up with no noise and has been running quiet as a kitten until this morning.

I left for work and about 10 minutes into my drive, the squeal began so I pulled into a parking lot and took a quick video to capture the sound, which I've posted on YouTube at http://youtu.be/zJMefjFx_y4
. Things I've read here suggest it may be a failing AOS, but I have no oil pressure issues and no smoke eminating from the exhaust - symptoms that seem to accompany that particular issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

-Steve
Attached Files
File Type: zip
996 squealing.zip (962.3 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by skablaw; 04-02-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: updated attachment
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by skablaw
Hello all!

A few months ago my 2001 996 C4 made a high pitched squealing noise that started while driving in town. When I arrived home, I shut things down and thought I'd drop by my indie to check on it the next day, but it fired up with no noise and has been running quiet as a kitten until this morning.

I left for work and about 10 minutes into my drive, the squeal began so I pulled into a parking lot and took a quick video to capture the sound, which I've posted in the attached zip file. Things I've read here suggest it may be a failing AOS, but I have no oil pressure issues and no smoke eminating from the exhaust - symptoms that seem to accompany that particular issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

-Steve
If not an AOS and the noise may not be due to a failing AOS, then another possible cause is a dry or dragging serpentine belt idler roller/tensioner roller bearing, or a going bad water pump (or other accessory) or a tensioner that has lost some of its tension.

One trick is if you know the noise is present at a particular time, is to remove the belt -- note its routing and direction of rotation carefully! -- and then start the engine and let it run only long enough to confirm the noise is still present or not present.

Obviously you can't remove the belt from a hot engine and then drive the car down the road for 10 minutes until the noise appears. Nore can you remove the belt from a cold engine and start the engine and let the engine idle 10 minutes until the noise appears.

Anyhow, if you can do the above test without risking the engine, and if the noise is still present with the belt removed, then AOS becomes suspect #1.

If the noise is not present something related to the serpentine belt/accessory drive is suspect.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Linky no worky. To rule out the AOS, with the car running, remove the oil cap and put your hand over the opening. You should feel just the slightest vacuum, almost imperceptible. If you have major vacuum, then likely its the AOS.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change the belt. In my old engine I would get the squak racket out of the belt at start up like it was starter noise. Just the belt being stiff/glazed and not taking to quick increases in rpms like going from 0-1,000 rpm in a split second.After replacing mine I never got another squak out of it. I could of sworn it was a bearing but I guess the bell shape of the pulleys kind of mask the real culprit and amplify the noise.

Oh yah, the belt is a quick cheap change you probably are due to do anyway so start there.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a pulley, could be the AOS. How is the coolant level.

+1 to run the car very very briefly without the belt on.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
skablaw
8th Gear

I posted the video on YouTube at http://youtu.be/zJMefjFx_y4
- hopefully that will work for everyone in listening to the noise. I will see about testing whether or not it is a pulley. My suspicion is perhaps not because when I shut it down there is a sound like a whistling as that squeal dies down, but I'm no expert so that may just be the sound of the pulley as rotation slows.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Cooling fan?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, that sounds like a running power steering pump with no fluid
Old 04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, after listening, sounds much more serious.

Yes could be something like p/s pump w/o fluid.

Should be easy enough to pinpoint if you can duplicate the problem, just remove the airbox and either remove the belt and run it briefly or with something that noisy you might be able to just hear it and see it easily.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
skablaw
8th Gear

I've made my way to my next obligation for the day. I just saw the replies on my phone coming into the building so when I'm done here I'll check on the power steering pump. I should just be able to look and see if the reservoir is dry, right?

If it adds anything to the analysis, the sound didn't start fora few minutes into the drive, but once underway it was constant except when I was on throttle. No matter the engine speed, when my foot was off the pedal or just "maintaining" the sound kicked in, but putting the right foot down silenced things. Too bad I can't just accelerate indefinitely!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
Wow, after listening, sounds much more serious.

Yes could be something like p/s pump w/o fluid.

Should be easy enough to pinpoint if you can duplicate the problem, just remove the airbox and either remove the belt and run it briefly or with something that noisy you might be able to just hear it and see it easily.
+1, just check the p/s fluid level with the dipstick. Remove the airbox and take off the belt after the engine is hot or whenever the sound occurs. It is hard to tell where the noise is coming from in the video and whether or not the camera is distorting the noise. Is does sound like crap... the noise just reminded me when I started the car without p/s fluid in the reservoir. How's the weather out there? I just moved from Bellevue last year, I spent 8 years in Nebraska. Hopefully you can pinpoint the sound and cross your fingers that it isn't something internal.

Is your a/c on or off when this happens? I know the weather has been warm out there.

BTW: You better post some pics of your car!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds more rotational than the pressure release sound associated with an AOS. Forced to a guess, I'd say alternator bearing or tensioner. +1 on checking with the belt off, check everything that turns by hand if the noise is gone with the belt off. Keep us posted. GL with diag. & fix.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by skablaw
I've made my way to my next obligation for the day. I just saw the replies on my phone coming into the building so when I'm done here I'll check on the power steering pump. I should just be able to look and see if the reservoir is dry, right?

If it adds anything to the analysis, the sound didn't start fora few minutes into the drive, but once underway it was constant except when I was on throttle. No matter the engine speed, when my foot was off the pedal or just "maintaining" the sound kicked in, but putting the right foot down silenced things. Too bad I can't just accelerate indefinitely!
Check the P/S level first, it's easy to do and either confirm or rule it out.

The sound is slightly different than when my AOS failed, but your symptoms are identical to when my AOS failed- the sound didn't start immediately & lessened with acceleration, but was LOUD and otherwise sounded dead-on like the sqeal of a slipping belt. With the engine running and squealing, try to remove the oil fill cap- if it's extremely hard to remove but the sound stops immediately after you remove it, that's your confirmation it's the AOS. (If you find it impossible to remove while the car is running, that's a pretty good indication, too.) Word of warning: immediately put the cap back on, or the additional airflow is apt to suck a lot of oil into your intake manifold through the failed AOS. Which will remove all doubt, sure, but kinda makes a mess and a lot of embarrassing smoke.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow thats some angry chipmunks
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 AM
skablaw
8th Gear

It's the AOS alright. I just got to the gym and The shrieking started up a few minutes ago. I hopped out and tried the oil filler cap test. Sure enough it gave a good fight before popping off with a swoosh like a city bus releasing the air brake and the squeal went away immediately.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice! My next question is how long can I drive around like this? She's my only ride so if it isn't safe I'll have to take her to the shop, but if I'm okay for a few days I might try to order parts and do it myself. I can get it up on jack stands and lower the engine a bit, which is what it looks like it will take. A lot of posts say it isn't that hard, but some are saying their mechanic charges for 8 hours of labor! What do you guys think?

Quick Reply: 996 squealing from engine bay. Possible AOS failure. Ideas? *video attached*