996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Guardian Install- Now drain plug leaking

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Yes, tighten slightly more.. If using our install socket the torque value is 19lb/ft.

We have no problem replacing any leaky sensor under warranty or assisting anyone who need the plug slightly modified to better fit their sump plate. You can next day the sensor to us on our account, we will modify the outer diameter and next day it back. If we find that the sensor is faulty we will replace the sensor at no cost.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 AM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Update

I just changed the oil in the 996 since installing the Guardian and as previously mentioned the drain plug was leaking very slightly and I could not get it to stop. Jake sent me a new plug and since I installed that one there has not been a leak at all. I noticed that there was a different style washer on the plug this time which makes sense given the tight space. I suspected that the oil washer was not seating properly because it was too big.
Also of note, there was not any metal bits attached to the magnetic part of the plug. All was good!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:16 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Jake,

Just sent you a PM, having this exact problem. Installed my new Guardian Jr. yesterday and there is a persistent slight drip when torqued to your spec. A bit of additional tightening didn't help. The car is a 2004 996 C2, non AE.

I guess the good news is that when I dropped the oil pan for inspection and cleaning prior to installation as suggested, everything was clean as a whistle without any signs of ferrous or non-ferrous metal particles, the pickup tube was also completely clear, and the pan re-sealed with a minimum amount of loctite 5900 with zero leaks at the flange.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Pfbz,
We received your email as well and have replied to it. We'll get you taken care of under warranty very quickly if necessary.
The email includes a couple of pointers that will probably solve the situation.
Sorry for the issue, but we'll help you through it.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default IMS Gaurdian leaking oil at plug

Mr. Raby,
Had this leaking problem with my IMS Gaurdian since Oct 2012. We discussed blowing out threads and new crush washer which I tried. there was not a washer in my packaging when purchased. How can I obtain a replacement sensor and crush washer as this seems to be the solution? Rodslack@mindspring.om if you will please contact me?Thx
Old 09-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RTSC4S
Mr. Raby,
Had this leaking problem with my IMS Gaurdian since Oct 2012. We discussed blowing out threads and new crush washer which I tried. there was not a washer in my packaging when purchased. How can I obtain a replacement sensor and crush washer as this seems to be the solution? Rodslack@mindspring.om if you will please contact me?Thx
Just shoot me an email and, we have no problem sending you some replacement washers for your generation of sensor, or providing any other support that you may need.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:53 PM
bblossom57
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd time around on Guardian Jr.?

I bought the Guardian Jr. version for my 2006 987 Boxster S. The plug leaked from day one. I contact the company and they wanted photographic proof it was leaking. So eventually I purchased a second plug for something under $100 and that one leaked from day one as well. I now use 3 new compression washers and torque the @#$% out of it for it to not leak. It might be dry now and if I want it working I have to replace again. More puddles! Am about to purchase 3rd Junior plug as I am as paranoid as the next owner. Car has 160K.

No one ever offered to help me with my leak. Never believed me it was leaking. Now you all say no one ever complained...? Ever.

I love my car so I am stuck until I do a retro IMS bearing rebuild as my case has to be cracked to get to it. Maybe it is time instead of another plug...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:00 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bblossom57
I bought the Guardian Jr. version for my 2006 987 Boxster S. The plug leaked from day one. I contact the company and they wanted photographic proof it was leaking. So eventually I purchased a second plug for something under $100 and that one leaked from day one as well. I now use 3 new compression washers and torque the @#$% out of it for it to not leak. It might be dry now and if I want it working I have to replace again. More puddles! Am about to purchase 3rd Junior plug as I am as paranoid as the next owner. Car has 160K.

No one ever offered to help me with my leak. Never believed me it was leaking. Now you all say no one ever complained...? Ever.

I love my car so I am stuck until I do a retro IMS bearing rebuild as my case has to be cracked to get to it. Maybe it is time instead of another plug...
If you were never offered any help, then you didn't contact the right people.

I have no problem sending you a replacement, but we need to receive the old units back. It doesn't even matter if the warranty is still active, get us the old units and I'll send you a free replacement.

That said, if you have multiple issues, the sump plate has a deficiency. I have seen a few of these that needed machining.. Pull the sump plate and we'll even machine it for you free of charge if you send it to us.

No problems. We've got you taken care of.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:15 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had my guardian installed for a couple of years now. It always leaked a little. The real problem is the epoxy filling where the wires come out disintegrated and the wires have become frayed just inside the plug this is now the case on my second plug. Anyone else have this problem. I was very careful both times to support the wires with zip ties so they were not hanging low or under stress.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
I have had my guardian installed for a couple of years now. It always leaked a little. The real problem is the epoxy filling where the wires come out disintegrated and the wires have become frayed just inside the plug this is now the case on my second plug. Anyone else have this problem. I was very careful both times to support the wires with zip ties so they were not hanging low or under stress.
Do you have a pic of how the wires were secured? The enemy is turbulent air under the car. If the wires can shuffle in the wind, then over time damage can. E done.

I tend to wrap the wites tight to the body of the sensor over 180 degrees of the sensor, then let the wire exit to the chassis.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:06 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

I just dismantled everything in the process of changing the oil. Removing drain plug I noticed the epoxy missing from the wire insertion area and close inspection black covering on wires not secured to plug anymore internal wires each have nick in insulation. The wires were led straight forward and zip tied to remain straight and not hang down. I do drive the car in the winter slush and salt so it is a harsh inviroment, but I am only getting 5K miles out of each sensor so far.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Jake PM sent
Old 12-26-2016, 10:44 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Jake PM sent
Any updates on the leaking sensors?
Old 12-26-2016, 12:16 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Any updates on the leaking sensors?
No other reports. We are making our annual run of sensors now, they will be finished at the end of January.

Quick Reply: IMS Guardian Install- Now drain plug leaking