Sponsored by:

Looking to move from the boxster to a 996

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Unfortunately, you are clearly misinformed. US spec suspension is not optimal for the original handling design intent on 911 Pcars for years. PCNA had to raise suspension height to meet US DOT bumper law regulations to sell in the US market. That is why ROW suspension, X74 and PSS9s are considered upgrades from stock. It brings it back to "true" stock spec. BTW, Bilstein, manufacturer of the inferior PSS9s according to you, is the OEM suspension supplier to Porsche including 996s.
+996 The US M032 suspension was never intended when this car was developed. It's very clear above 90mph. Front end lift is not good.
ROW M030 suspension is on the way from Suncoast for me!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
^ Clearly according to some people PSS9 suspension is a downgrade. Buyers who are more knowledgeable will benefit. GLWTS. It is a beautiful car.
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by francars
Hey guys

The 99 is my vehicle for sale. I have decided to sell and test waters. Its good to see some of the feedback from you guys. Regarding the suspension, I purchased the PSS9s brand new last year from a guy in NY who never used. Car was aligned and lowered to GT3 by Porsche dealer and not ME.

I have gotten 2 responses (for 2 serious buyers) in past 72 hours. Both seem pretty knowledgeable on this model / Yr. They want to view this weekend so we will see what happens. I honestly did not expect quick responses, specially on CL.
Best of luck on your potential buyers. Sounds like the market has heated up lately. The PSS9s are a great addition IMHO and would add interest. Since I also have owned a MY99 for 6 years now, I'll be watching with interest. Have you thought about your next vehicle of choice?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by 82_930
I did a bunch of research... from what I found, Porsche had corrected the 3.4L issues by 2001... and many of the 3.4L cars that had failures received 2001 spec engines.

If I have been informed incorrectly, please let me know... I bought an '01 based on this info, lol
Your assumptions are completely off-base. Many believe that the dual-row IMS bearings found on cars prior to '01 are far less susceptible to failure than the single-row bearings found on later 996's and early 997's. I'm not saying that this is fact, but many well-informed people believe this. The RMS issues are a different story, but a leaking RMS does not cause sudden catastrophic failure, and can be addressed when convenient.

Precautions you can take include:
1. Upgrading to the LNE Ceramic bearing.
2. Adding the IMS Guardian warning system.
3. Ignoring the IMS hysteria.

Which path you take depends on how much risk you're willing to take. Many, many 996's have over a 100k miles on them and the owners don't even know what an IMS is.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Best of luck on your potential buyers. Sounds like the market has heated up lately. The PSS9s are a great addition IMHO and would add interest. Since I also have owned a MY99 for 6 years now, I'll be watching with interest. Have you thought about your next vehicle of choice?
Thanks, I have been eyeing 996 Turbos for a while and also 996 C4S' as well. IF I ended up selling I will take my time to really find the next one. We will see...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Waynes_box
Ok guys sold my boxster last summer and am now looking to jump into the 996 scene. I have read and know about the IMS/RMS stuff that goes on. Not sure about pricing on these cars compared to the boxster prices so let me know what you guys think of this car that caught my eye since it seems to have some work put into it already...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/2863964183.html
Meanwhile back at the ranch, to answer your question, judging from the ads both these cars seem to be well cared for & priced well. I would look at both cars.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 that both cars appear priced well. Even after have a 996 for a few years I would never consider a purchase without a PPI. But even with a PPI there is always risk in buying a car.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so is the 20hp that much more of a difference on the two cars... i do like the newer look... i'll see if both are flexible on price and if so how much...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but I think I had read on here somewhere that your chances of having IMS/RMS issues were more likely before 60k miles after that your chances were a lot better of not having them. Maybe one of you with more knowledge about this will clarify. jmo

Quick Reply: Looking to move from the boxster to a 996