Sponsored by:

test drive question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
stairmasterman911
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default test drive question

how do you guys handle things when someone shows up to test drive your car? i've always just traded in to the dealer and avoided this. do you go with? get a driver's license? meet at your house? any suggestions, well almost any, would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

I would be very careful and recommend a PPI at a shop of his choosing to a prospective buyer. Let the PPI do the talking. No joy rides at my expense with me. If a buyer is willing to talk PPI, then I know he is serious and I do something different.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,559 Likes on 976 Posts

When I bought my C4S from an individual seller, he simply rode along on my test drive. I didn't have an issue with this at all.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always traded my car in at a dealer but have a friend who has this down to a science.

Meet at a public place (store parking lot) let the individual look over the car. Never let anyone test drive it alone! My friend after a brife chat to see if he thinks the individual is interested will take him for a ride. Only after they agree to purchase does he let them drive the car. And never lets them beat on the car while in his ownership.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I sold my 2006 Mazdaspeed6 to a 20 year old kid about a year ago. He came with his parents from Virginia. They were a really nice family.

I still sat in the passenger seat when the Kid took the car for a test drive.
He was a little bit "fast & furious" with the shifter so I told him that he would be able to shift faster (and maintain more rpm) if he shifted more smoothly and slowly. The dad (in that back seat) said, "this isn't your car yet so do as the owner says".

When I bought my 996 in July of 09. I walked up to the guy and we shook hands. Then he just handed me the keys and said "enjoy the test drive". It really freaked my wife out that he would just hand me the keys and did not want to come along.

I can gauge in 1 minute whether a buyer is serious or not.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone pays for a PPI they are serious. I have no problem with almost anyone driving my cars if I am riding shotgun. In fact, I love to see someone drive their first p-car after a lifetime of crappy Fords and Chevys.

One guy asked me "What gear am I in?" lol. (It was third.)
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove an G50 3.2 coupe yesterday. The owner had just recently listed it and the first guy who drove it had never been in a porsche. We took a nice sweeping downhill onramp to the free way and as I mashed on it coming out of the corner he said, "oh, you've clearly driven these before." Great guy. Great test drive. He sold it this morning to the guy who drove it yesterday.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default some precautions

Here are my precautions when selling my own cars:
>Make a copy of the prospect's driver's license...have never had anyone object to this.
>Have a proposed sales agreement ready...give a copy to the prospect to consider.
>Recommend the prospect arrange for a PPI and have a couple of garages to suggest...stay on site when the PPI is conducted.
>have a well organized maintenance file available for review.
>Always accompany the prospect on any test drives...no exceptions.

relinuca
Old 02-22-2012, 02:09 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is interesting that we hold such a double standard when selling versus buying. Many of the post regarding buying suggest that you test drive it alone while many post in this thread suggest that you don't let anyone test drive your car or test drive it alone.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The last car I sold, the buyer left his car in my driveway(A4) while he and his son took my Audi TT for a test drive. His conversation with me on the phone and in person beforehand told me he was an interested buyer. I didnt copy his drivers license or get a deposit. He came back after a 15 min.test drive, said he loved the car...but then left without buying. Twenty minutes later, he was back in my driveway and did the deal with a healthy cash deposit to hold the car until he could go to his bank next day. Could I have been scammed or screwed? Yep, but I wasn't.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ttreat
It is interesting that we hold such a double standard when selling versus buying. Many of the post regarding buying suggest that you test drive it alone while many post in this thread suggest that you don't let anyone test drive your car or test drive it alone.
I don't think anyone has suggested that you, as a buyer, should be able to test drive the car alone.

I have a simple strategy.

-person expresses interest
-I take them for a test ride with me driving...they can make requests (e.g. idle, hard acceleration, gear changes, whatever)
-If that goes well, they pay for the PPI
-If PPI passes to their satisfaction, they can take it for a test drive with me in the car.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell him you'll let his wife test drive it since she'll get it in the devorce anyway.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think honestly having a conversation with potential seller is the key. If there is a gut feeling of something not right then I will tell potential buyer unless he/she is buying that a test drive cannot be performed.

I am not a car dealer so I don't have the time to waste with tire kickers and lookers. I will also drive shotgun.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:58 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pac996
Tell him you'll let his wife test drive it since she'll get it in the devorce anyway.
hillarious !
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 AM
ttreat
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

"I don't think anyone has suggested that you, as a buyer, should be able to test drive the car alone."

Not in this thread but if you search for buying tips, there are a lot of posts suggesting that you test drive the car alone.

I agree that you need to assess each situation. I just think it's interesting how some suggest that you test drive a car alone when you are on the buying side and many suggest that you don't allow someone to test drive your car alone when you are on the selling side. We need to put ourselves in the shoes of the other person sometimes.

Quick Reply: test drive question