Sponsored by:

Daytime Running Light Problem with LED Tail lights - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytime Running Light Problem with LED Tail lights - Solved

I just installed smoked LED tail lights on my 2000 996. No hyper flashing but only the passenger side of the tail light is lit when in day light running mode (I live in Canada). When I manually turn on the headlights, both sides are lit and everything else works.

Can anyone who has installed load resisters give me some guidance on how to install them? Do you just splice them in to one of the wires on each side?

I've never worked with resisters and could use some help.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by pterfloth; 02-05-2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-04-2012, 09:26 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pterfloth
I just installed smoked LED tail lights on my 2000 996. No hyper flashing but only the passenger side of the tail light is lit when in day light running mode (I live in Canada). When I manually turn on the headlights, both sides are lit and everything else works.

Can anyone who has installed load resisters give me some guidance on how to install them? Do you just splice them in to one of the wires on each side?

Thanks in advance.
are you referring to side markers?

check your fuse a6 and a7. I am in the process of installing those too and lots of problems. i gave up on trying to hook up the side markers in the back as it kept blowing a fuse. now my problem is that the rear fog light only work on the driver side. there is no fuse for left/right fog lights so not sure what is wrong, i am going to connect back the original lights and see if they work as I never checked.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:34 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeswift

check your fuse a6 and a7. I am in the process of installing those too and lots of problems. i gave up on trying to hook up the side markers in the back as it kept blowing a fuse. now my problem is that the rear fog light only work on the driver side. there is no fuse for left/right fog lights so not sure what is wrong, i am going to connect back the original lights and see if they work as I never checked.
No, my problem is the driver's side tail light. In Canada, we have had mandatory day-time running headlights for many years. Porsche's solution was to have the headlights and tail lights turned on whenever the car was running. The headlight switch only turns on the front side markers and dash lights, everything else is always on.

Since I installed the LED tail lights, the driver's side tail light only turns on when the headlight switch is turned on while the passenger side tail light is on al the time. This of course looks odd unless the headlight switch is turned on.

I purchased 2 - 8 ohm 25w resisters today and will install them tonight on the tail light/brake light wires. I'll post my results.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:21 AM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is only one fog light in the rear of the car, not two... and it is located on the driver side so you are okay with that.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
mikeswift
Instructor

Originally Posted by 82_930
There is only one fog light in the rear of the car, not two... and it is located on the driver side so you are okay with that.
what???? this does not make any sense... what is a rationale for it? I guess now I know why I only have one orange bulb left. I thought I lost the other one...
Old 02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
art c.
AutoX

The rationale is that you do not confuse it with brake lights
Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, in it signifies which side of the car you are on... and if you see two lights, you know that there are two car lanes in front of you. This is a European thing.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Quix
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

what???? this does not make any sense... what is a rationale for it? I guess now I know why I only have one orange bulb left. I thought I lost the other one...
https://rennlist.com/forums/7698196-post153.html

The "Things you didn't know" thread has lots of good info.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by pterfloth

Thanks in advance.
I installed a 25w 8 ohm resister between the brown and black wires of the brake light/tail light on each side and all of my problems are solved. I can use the LED third light again, my daytime running light problem is solved and there are no error codes.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:50 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Great news. Photos?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
pterfloth
Instructor

Originally Posted by wyovino
Great news. Photos?
What photos are you looking for? The lights or the wiring? I'm heading off on this week's business trip, so it will be a couple of days before I can take photos.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:29 AM
rustymon
Banned

How did you determine the proper ohm / watt resistor? I have the same problem as I just installed some LED tail lights tonight. Strange that the passenger side works without issue! It also knocked out my front Driver's side DRL (I have LED there too).

Why did you put the resistor on BOTH the brown and wires and just not one of the two?

Thank you for posting this thread - very helpful!

Last edited by rustymon; 07-13-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
pterfloth
Instructor

The resistance wattage was suggested by my LED tail light supplier. I'm not an electrician, but the resister is supposed to simulate the load created by an normal bulb, so I think it needs to cross both wires. I also referenced similar posts on their installation.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 PM
rustymon
Banned

Just wanted to thank you for the response... I figured out that I had blown a fuse when installing the tail lights. I think I may have had the small light plug reversed, but not sure. For me, even though I have LED head lights, tail lights, and LED strips in both 3rd brake bars, I haven't needed to install any resistance elements. Not sure if this is rare luck, or if I'm missing something...
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Volkerst
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently ordered the Spyder LED tail lights from Amazon ( $299 )
Very happy with the look.
They have built in resistors and are plug and play - no hyperflashing etc.

The small sidemarker lights are indeed color coded - the white and red marked ends have to be inserted correctly. If you do this correctly - no problem.
If not - a blown fuse plus hyperflashing.
(I blew two before figuring this out)

If they included a couple of lines of instruction or a simple diagram they would have many happy customers!!!
I think the quality of this product is excellent - as good as OEM.
Highly recommended!

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Light Problem with LED Tail lights - Solved