Sponsored by:

Custom Fabricated Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts
Default Custom Fabricated Exhaust

I know the Fabspeed setup is the prevailing favorite amongst most 996 people, but does anyone around here have custom fabricated exhaust on their car?

The Fister exhaust my car came with isn't aggressive enough, and the muffler bypass pipes I have on the car now are too aggressive. I like the sound of the Fabspeed as well, but it's still a little quieter than what I want. Also, even though it's one of the less expensive options for the car, it's still pretty pricey for a couple mufflers with two 12" pieces of stainless pipe coming off of them.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The mark up on exhausts is just ridiculous in the US. I really struggle to see how they come to those costs, but for 996 tax.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:53 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I am a fan of Cargraphic, But.. There systems are not cheep. However, in my opinion the best exhaust systems (performance, sound-- and designed and tested for the application vehicle) are Cargraphic and AWE....

Best luck in your search..
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the sound I think you're looking for you may need to look at all three components (headers, 200 cell Cat's and Mufflers). Cargraphic is an excellent recommendation....their exhaust alone is pretty aggressive. I had a full Maxspeed setup that was very aggressive. Now I have and a full FVD system that's not as nearly as loud but sounds better at WOT...

Last edited by FLY996; 01-08-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FLY996
For the sound I think you're looking for you may need to look at all three components (headers, 200 cell Cat's and Mufflers).
Speaking of headers, I can't help but be intrigued by the ~$200 headers that are all over ebay. They're the exact same design as any of the higher priced "real" headers you can buy, and they're made from the same materials. I've seen a few of these types of Chinese made products up close (exhausts for other brands of cars, etc.), and the materials and weld quality on a lot of them are pretty good these days.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:12 PM
DarkSideEwok
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The e46 m3 guys had the same thing happen to them regarding the eBay headers. People went with them. 80% of them seem to be fine, my close friend has run them since 2006 with no problems, cracks, rattles, etc. he tracks his car so the headers go through some serious work.

The 20% that seem to have issues revolve around less than perfect fitment. Fortunately for us, headers don't have the same clearance issues that the BMWs have.

I need to do more maintenance work, but I do plan on going with some eBay headers. Unfortunately I hate having onto pay big money for some hi flow cats. Perhaps I will try to get some custom pipes with cats fabricated for me.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

On "normal" cars, I'd be worried about the ebay headers since it's a lot of work if they fail. But you can literally swap the headers on these cars in about 45 minutes; so if they suck I'll just yank them off and be out a couple hundred dollars I suppose.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Speaking of headers, I can't help but be intrigued by the ~$200 headers that are all over ebay. They're the exact same design as any of the higher priced "real" headers you can buy, and they're made from the same materials. I've seen a few of these types of Chinese made products up close (exhausts for other brands of cars, etc.), and the materials and weld quality on a lot of them are pretty good these days.

There is a lot more to headers (and the entire exhaust system) than just welding up nice looking pipes, etc. There is the design of the component and its intended characteristics. Most of the top aftermarket exhaust developers design and "test" their exhaust components for very specific needs and vehicles, which is specific to making HP and torque in a desired power band. As an example, AWE does not make headers for the 3.4l engine only for the 3.6l. They will not sell you their 3.6l headers to install on a 3.4l because they have not been tested and may hinder performance of your vehicle, which they probable would.

I would be cautious what you install on your car unless you are just looking for better exhaust sound. You are inviting power loses especially at the low end with the wrong components and you may not be happy.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
On "normal" cars, I'd be worried about the ebay headers since it's a lot of work if they fail. But you can literally swap the headers on these cars in about 45 minutes; so if they suck I'll just yank them off and be out a couple hundred dollars I suppose.
Not sure what year 996 you have and if you have ever removed the manifolds, but be careful as snapping exhaust manifold bolts is not uncommon on these cars and then it is not a 45 minute job. I snapped a few manifold bolts and it is a real PITA to drill them out, etc.

Good luck..
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmkazz
I would be cautious what you install on your car unless you are just looking for better exhaust sound. You are inviting power loses especially at the low end with the wrong components and you may not be happy.
I'm aware of that, this isn't my first rodeo.

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Not sure what year 996 you have and if you have ever removed the manifolds, but be careful as snapping exhaust manifold bolts is not uncommon on these cars and then it is not a 45 minute job. I snapped a few manifold bolts and it is a real PITA to drill them out, etc.
Good info, I'll be sure to be extra careful. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's been threads on these Ebay headers and they have been said to rob 10HP over stock.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM
4Scargo
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought some of those headers a couple of years ago. I went ahead and got Porsche gaskets and they fit just fine. (take your time) I have often wondered the same thing.....a pipe to the cats that bypass the muffler? Or, I think a good fab guy could make a brace, mount a 'glasspak' or something and fab another pipe to the cats from the new muffler.

I have seen some pipe benders who think in 3D....really.

I'm with ya Capt. on this one.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Jbellz18
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of used Fabspeed headers forsale , cheap. Pm me
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Welp, stumbled upon a killer deal on a Fabspeed exhaust today that I couldn't pass up so I guess I can forget about that custom exhaust idea now. LOL
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

A little something to whet your appetite while waiting for the Fabspeed to arrive (lifted from 6speedonline)

Quick Reply: Custom Fabricated Exhaust