Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Was it the A/C drain?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Picking up a little late, here, but you might also check the tightness of the seat belt mount lower attachment points in the rear, particularly on the side with the water in the seat cup. The bolts don't necessarily come loose on their own. If your car had a previous owner, and if that owner installed a roll bar or even just harness/belt mounts to the original rear seat belt mounts, then the factory sealant has been broached. These bolt holes go THROUGH the bodywork and get sealed from moisture when the body gets undercoated at the factory.

The fact that you have a baby seat could suggest the bolts have been loosened.

It also could mean somebody lets the baby have a drink bottle when you are not in the car. Hopefully it is not "run-off" from the baby. LOL!

The RTS holes in my '99 C2 coupe drain directly into the roof liner which is why the holes should always be filled with the required/spec bolts, and fully tightened when not being used.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:05 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
And the verdict was....?
Hi guys..sorry for the late follow up.

I let the AC run for longer and it eventually did fflow out, so not that.
I really dont think it was the front drain plugs reaching the back.

So far its all stil ldry back there and we had got heavy rains, so I honestly think it was the door curtain as ID'd by my indy originally but that he hadnt done a good job clearing out the water when he changed them and it had seeped back down. The foam under the carpets is well think and holds some amount of water!
Old 04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
rallyeman
4th Gear

Hey R1_Pete, thanks for your input in this thread, this is exactly what has happened to my GT3. What was the final outcome? Did you find the source of the leak? I've just recently put a lap belt in the back, so was thinking maybe taking the seatbelt bolt out, I've caused a leak, can't see it, but I'm clutching at straws.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:21 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've spent a lot of time in the back of my 996 without the carpet installed.

My guess would be be leaking seals from one of your rear windows. The only other opening into the back of the car is for the wiring harness loom to the engine bay. But I highly doubt you could get much water through that opening unless the grommet was totally out of place and you sprayed the opening with pressurized water.

grommet (mine has an extra wiring loom going through it) - right side of car
Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM
rallyeman
4th Gear

Hey Whiteout, you could have something there. I've only had the GT3, 2 weeks, and both times I've washed it with a jet washer ( snow foam lance ). This would also explain, the thick foam under the carpet being soapy.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
white out
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Next time you wash your car, check all the window seals. What side of the car is the water on?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 AM
rallyeman
4th Gear

The water is coming from the direction of the "3" in the GT3 logo, so I know think it might be rear window seal, more carpet coming out today ;(
Thanks for the pic
Old 04-18-2013, 03:40 PM
rallyeman
4th Gear

Hooray ! Found the source of the water, its coming from corner of the rear screen. Not sure if the rear screen is bonded. Might try some clear silicon first, under the rubber, if not I'll get a new rear screen on the insurance
Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

HI Guys,

Sorry, i am so bad at updating these thngs.

Yes as others have discovred and suspected it was indeed a leaky rear window seal. My indie found it using a power washer on the external of teh screen with the rear inetrrior trim removed and you could visibly see teh drips coming into the cabin. Screen out and re-bonded and it hasny come back in almost 7 months now
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys, I am having the same issue with a 2008 Cab found it odd that the rear seat bowls got wet. So when you say rear window, I am assuming you are referring to rear side windows? Just want to make sure as the shop that tried to locate the leak today is going to try again next week and I wanted to give them another possible starting point to look
Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM
time4a911
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a little summary of my issue.
I recently purchased a '99 Carrera with 50k miles. It was neglected, to say the least.

There was water around the battery and dried water marks. The drain plugs were clogged with leaves and other trash. I poked those with a metal hanger and the water instantly went down.

I went to vacuum it today and there was water behind the driver's seat. I looked on here and found the sunroof drain. I removed the interior and found that the drain tube had been pinched during assembly.
I hit it with heat gun to soften the rubber and mold it bad. As soon the pinch released, the water drained out.

I hope this helps.

Time4a911

Old 02-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Good info. Thx for posting.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Poor design!