Sponsored by:

Wet rear seat under leather pad....996 Coupe, no sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardback
Did you locate the drains in the engine bay?
Not yet Carey. I had a cusory glance earlier with a torch into the engine comaprtment and couldnt see any obvious drains.

I managed to get a quick poke at the frnt drains and the were full of silt and crap. Cleaned as much as I could and they are running clear now, but still doubt they were the issue as nada water in the front compartment.

Interestingly and worryingly I took out the baby seat on the other side today and that now has some water, but only a little more damp than wet..other side is soaking. So its something symetrical, something towards the rear. Unlikely to be two leaky window seals at the same time?

Hoping I can offload the kids on my mum tomorrow for and hour or two, pop off the rear wheel arch linings and see if anything obvious shows up, or perhaps the speaker grills and maybe rear trim to see if it seeping in from a window.

Love my car so much, and such a stupid niggly problem is just p*ssing me off.

Appreciate the input so far guys..any ideas hollar
Old 05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Uh yeah, i just looked under the trunk and didnt see anything obvious either. Seems that water wouldnt really be able to collect anywhere.

You said you dont have a sunroof... Do you have a cabriolet?

If so, Im the wrong guy to assist.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Uh yeah, i just looked under the trunk and didnt see anything obvious either. Seems that water wouldnt really be able to collect anywhere.

You said you dont have a sunroof... Do you have a cabriolet?

If so, Im the wrong guy to assist.
No mine is a non sunroof, coupe C2. Has me stumped. I can find TONS of threads on varous forums re cabs and sunroof drains, but nadda regarding Coupes..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the center tail light maybe? The black plastic trim around the tail light may be cracked and allowing water
in.

Im guessing now...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:07 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Check the center tail light maybe? The black plastic trim around the tail light may be cracked and allowing water
in.

Im guessing now...
Worth a try thanks Carey.

I just had the wheel arch liners off and bone dry back there, and all drain plugs look okay so doubt its watter being flung up. Also there are no drain valves/outlets in the wheel arches like on the sunroof model so not that either.

I also cleaned out all four drain plugs in the trunk area and they were filthy!! All four, even worse one had the cap from the AC condenser pipe (black cap) in it upside down, another had a friggin bolt in it, and all four had various amounts of grime and scum in them. Unblocked them all, poured water and all flowing freely now..but i cant see how they would ever cause a leak into the rear of the car.

My next port of call tomorrow is to pop off the door cards and check the membranes (replaced last service), check the door curtain/seal maybe get someone to hose the car while I sit in the back...

After that/failing that it will be remove the rear speaker grills and see if there is water behind them, if so ill remove the trim completely as it would maybe indicate worn window seals?

Process of elimination, frustation and perspiration

Cheers again for the input..
Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Look back to the drain schematic, #4 is the AC drain if it is blocked it backs up and the water pools under the carpets it can go all the way to the back seats floor.Look when the car is running with the AC on there should be dripping water at the front passengers side under the car onto the pavement.
If not the drain may be blocked and the water is going into the passenger compartment floor.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Look back to the drain schematic, #4 is the AC drain if it is blocked it backs up and the water pools under the carpets it can go all the way to the back seats floor.Look when the car is running with the AC on there should be dripping water at the front passengers side under the car onto the pavement.
If not the drain may be blocked and the water is going into the passenger compartment floor.
Thanks Carey, ill try that but the AC drain is on the opposite side to the leak, ie it exits on the passenger side and the leak is behind the drivers seat, also as the wettest area was under the seat pad, and seemed to work down to the carpet I think it might be higher up?
Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Originally Posted by R1_Pete
Thanks Carey, ill try that but the AC drain is on the opposite side to the leak, ie it exits on the passenger side and the leak is behind the drivers seat, also as the wettest area was under the seat pad, and seemed to work down to the carpet I think it might be higher up?
Hmmm, so ran the car this morning on a dry driveway. Left the AC on full and car on for 15+ minutes.. Not a drop of water under the AC outlet?

So maybe that is blocked, but doesnt it normally materialise itself in the front passenger side?

P
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm, so ran the car this morning on a dry driveway. Left the AC on full and car on for 15+ minutes.. Not a drop of water under the AC outlet?

So maybe that is blocked, but doesnt it normally materialise itself in the front passenger side?

P
So this must be your problem!

The funny thing (or not) about water is it goes where it wants. You probably have a LOT of water and it went everywhere!!!
Sorry to say but all your carpets need to come out and be dried off completely.
I think the right passenger side is full and if you are the only person in the car most of the time then the water is wicked away to the drivers side. It could also run uphill to the rear seat carpet. Good luck.
My wife's Subaru did this and I was amazed at all the freekin water that was on the floor under the carpets as they have a foam insulation under them that was saturated with water.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

So this must be your problem!

The funny thing (or not) about water is it goes where it wants. You probably have a LOT of water and it went everywhere!!!
Sorry to say but all your carpets need to come out and be dried off completely.
I think the right passenger side is full and if you are the only person in the car most of the time then the water is wicked away to the drivers side. It could also run uphill to the rear seat carpet. Good luck.
My wife's Subaru did this and I was amazed at all the freekin water that was on the floor under the carpets as they have a foam insulation under them that was saturated with water.
Cheers Maurice,

Just drying/wicking the rear carperts now and its a laborious task. The front carpets on both sides are bone dry however!!

One thing I did notice is the door card on the drivers door is loose!! Some clips missing near the bottom of the hinged side, but inside it seems dry also.

Pulled off the speaker grills in the rear and yup...bone dry back there too.

Going to dry it all out, get my indie to do the door card and AC drains and then wait for the next rain fall and see what happens...round here that is never too far away.

Thanks Maurice and others for all the input.

Will post an update after the work/rain.

Pete
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Cheers Maurice,

Just drying/wicking the rear carperts now and its a laborious task. The front carpets on both sides are bone dry however!!

One thing I did notice is the door card on the drivers door is loose!! Some clips missing near the bottom of the hinged side, but inside it seems dry also.

Pulled off the speaker grills in the rear and yup...bone dry back there too.

Going to dry it all out, get my indie to do the door card and AC drains and then wait for the next rain fall and see what happens...round here that is never too far away.

Thanks Maurice and others for all the input.

Will post an update after the work/rain.

Pete
Tip from my efforts today. A babies nappy or diapers to all you US guys
Perfect for wicking up water under the carpets. Was able to pull the carpet back, slip em under and put weight on, then rung out the foam as much as I could and soaked up and standing water with them! Worked a treat. Finished it off with the hair dryer and a heater for a couple of hours.

Dry for now.. But rain on the way
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

That foam under the carpet can hold a lot of water!
If the rain brings more water then you need to look at the Roof Transport.
Do you still have the screws in or is there a hole?
We never found out where and if those drain anywhere.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:48 AM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

That foam under the carpet can hold a lot of water!
If the rain brings more water then you need to look at the Roof Transport.
Do you still have the screws in or is there a hole?
We never found out where and if those drain anywhere.
Hi Maurice

According to my local dealer/mechanic the RTS doesnt have built in drains, its a strip that sits into a channel in the cars roof. However one of the lads on the Irish Porsche Forum (PCI) told me that he replaced his RTS system and once you undo those screws there are seals, and it seems that it may lead right into the body of the car! However mine looks like they have never been touched, and there is no dampness or water in the headliners.

Typical but it hasnt rained heavily since I dried it out
Going to see if my Indie can take it this week and look at the AC drains and double check the door membrane and rear window seals..
Pete
Old 05-14-2012, 04:30 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Well I have a sunroof and I've used my RTS.
So today,I decide to investigate.
I can see the underneath of the front RTS holders when the sunroof is open so I poured some water into the rear RTS holders and I head a hissing sound. The car had just been driven and the water ran out of the engine compartment on either side where there is a channel and dripped onto the muffler or pipes.
Not like the schematic shows,no tube.
The front RTS drain right and left just behind the front wheel well sort like the schematic posted before.
So it's gotta be your AC drain.
If you have a compressor you can try to clear the AC compressor drain with air. I've never tried it however.I think you have to take it apart and see if there is a kink or if it's clogged or disconnected.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:39 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Well I have a sunroof and I've used my RTS.
So today,I decide to investigate.
I can see the underneath of the front RTS holders when the sunroof is open so I poured some water into the rear RTS holders and I head a hissing sound. The car had just been driven and the water ran out of the engine compartment on either side where there is a channel and dripped onto the muffler or pipes.
Not like the schematic shows,no tube.
The front RTS drain right and left just behind the front wheel well sort like the schematic posted before.
So it's gotta be your AC drain.
If you have a compressor you can try to clear the AC compressor drain with air. I've never tried it however.I think you have to take it apart and see if there is a kink or if it's clogged or disconnected.
Awesome, thanks Maurice. Reallty appreciate you going to that effort

AC drain clean out is penciled in for the weekend.

Quick Reply: Wet rear seat under leather pad....996 Coupe, no sunroof