Drain coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drain coolant

Hi guys,

Waiting for my mechanic to have a look at my intermix issue, I decided to get the AOS and oil cooler out.

However, since we soon can expect freezing degrees over night here, I want to get all the water out of the cooling system. There are no anti-freeze in it, and I am afraid of freeze damage.

I drained two gallons from the rear drain plug, but there are maybe four more gallons in there which I need to get out. I want it empty!

Unfortunately I cant find any instructions for draining the entire system. Could someone please help me out?

Thans,

Johan
Old 10-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must drain from the plug, and 3 hose locations at the lowest points of the car.
If you have not done this before - best have your mechanic do it.

BTW... AOS can not cause an intermix problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 AM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Hi Loren,

Thanks. However, for different resons I need to do this myself. Are all three hoses located in the engine area?

Would it be easier if I jacked the front up?

Thanks,

Johan
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a fairly complete post.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ost__p__176092

Refilling is a completely different matter, and is recommended to use a vacuum fill system.

You're never going to get all 6 gallons out without some major diss-assembly or repeated use of a vacuum system to draw coolant out of the very difficult to reach spots. The most I've ever managed with the above procedure is about 5.5 gallons.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jacking up the front end doesnt help as there are too many bends and pockets for coolant to get trapped. I recently drained my coolant three times to fix a leak and let me tell you....the best advice is to purchase a airlift system for draining. uview airlift 550000000000 I will look for a few past posts that helped me. BTW, I developed a system that is pretty good, although time consuming.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Kazual99
Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...e-new-one.html

Check out this post, it has several good links inside
Old 10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
jsoderbe
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I drained it today, still only got 4-4.5 gallons out of it. I drained it through the two large aluminum pipes that I guess go to the coolers, the little one that runs next to them, the tiptronic oil cooler, and the two pipes that is located near the right rear wheel. And a T connection to the large ones in the middle.

I am sure there still are some coolant left in front of the car. I just hope there isn't enough of it to freeze once the winter hits us. I guess it is mostly water, which is not good. At least the engine is properly drained!

Thanks for your help!

Johan
Old 10-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Kazual99
Pro

What you described is very similar to what I did. I actually ran 7 cycles with the airlift. Since I was replacing my coolant with a 50/50 premix, I didn't want to run the risk of any residual coolant.

Quick Reply: Drain coolant