Sponsored by:

Sachs or Porsche clutch kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:44 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sachs or Porsche clutch kit?

Ok, I'm about to have my clutch replaced and am picking up the parts to have it done. Do I just get the Sach's kit of ebay for about $450ish or the Porsche kit from the dealer for about $520? Are they one in the same? Also while I'm in there the IMS and RMS is gonna get done as well as the AOS. Should I have the chain tensions replaced when they do the IMS? Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Urking
7th Gear

I wouldn´t gammble , given that short difference on price
Old 09-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe that Sachs are Porsche OEM suppliers - I installed one last year and it looked just like the factory clutch kit when I pulled the original out......
Old 09-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Tinker
I believe that Sachs are Porsche OEM suppliers - I installed one last year and it looked just like the factory clutch kit when I pulled the original out......

I believe you are correct.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, dealer did my clutch before I bought it, and it says "Sachs" when I tore off the transmission. Identical to the part I had ready to replace it with from Sachs.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

go OEM
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

factory parts - small price difference is easily worth it.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:04 PM
TC996
4th Gear

Exclamation Warning- Terrible Experience with Sachs Stage II clutch and AWE Tuning

I have been driving Porsches as my daily driver since 1991 when I purchased a ’88 944S. I have had several daily driver Porsches since that time, after the 944, they were all 911s. I am very familiar with the product, how to drive and maintain it, and I have a long history of service on all of my vehicles from Porsche direct only.

I had one issue with my 2001 996 Cabriolet when I undertook replacement of the clutch; a minor rear main seal leak only. I purchased my car from Porsche as a lease return from a Porsche employee with 50,000 km on it. My car had more than 160,000 km on the original clutch, and it was operating flawlessly when I undertook this upgrade. I elected to upgrade my clutch and flywheel as I wanted the minor leak rectified, and I attempting to be proactive to save myself future labour to disassemble the same portion of the drivetrain to replace the clutch in the future and to increase my car’s performance. My dealer is a Premier Porsche dealer, the Sachs clutch and lightweight flywheel were supplied by AWE Tuning.

The work was completed in the spring of this year, and the car returned to me. Very soon after its return, it became clear that the clutch was not operating properly, and within approximately 2000 km the clutch began to slip and fail. The car was returned to Porsche, who disassembled the clutch to diagnose an repair.

At that time, AWE refused to replace the part without inspection. I waited with my vehicle disassembled for more than 2 months for the parts to be sent away, inspected, tested etc. The Porsche dealer's ability to install the part correctly was brought into question by AWE (I find it extremely unlikely that a dealership of this calibre and reputation could install a clutch incorrectly), my driving style and ability was questioned (clearly, with 160,000 km+ on the original clutch and very little wear it was not my driving style), so by the process of elimination, I do not see how the issue can by anything other than a defective part and/or supply of the incorrect parts. After all of this, it was discovered that AWE had indeed supplied incorrect parts for my vehicle. In the end, the part was replaced and reinstalled.

The problem did appear to be solved, and the clutch did operate properly for several months; then the same symptoms reappeared, and the clutch began to slip again with less than 4000 additional km. That is a total of approximately 6000 km to burn-out two brand new clutches. I don’t that believe that the worst driver could be responsible for that level of wear, so once again it’s not the driver. If it is extremely unlikely that a Premier Porsche dealer installed a clutch incorrectly once, then it is practically impossible that they did so twice, so it’s not the installer.

I returned the car once again. Inspection of the parts shows unusual wear and heat damage. The flywheel is scored and worn as well. I am not a mechanic, but clearly there was something wrong with these parts individually, in combination or with some part that is incorporated in their installation.

I told my service advisor that I did not want to go through the same nightmare again (the dealer was amazing and extremely helpful throughout the entire matter). I instructed him to replace the Sachs clutch with a factory part and to get a refund on the Sachs clutch as it clearly never operated properly. Once again, I was buying a new factory replacement clutch when I didn’t need one in the first place! In addition, the lightweight flywheel is damaged and of no use to me. Luckily, I kept the original flywheel to reinstall, but I had still paid for a flywheel that is either defective of incorrect and was now clearly damaged.

AWE Tuning refused to do anything further to mitigate my damages, simply saying that their parts dont fail.

I was without my vehicle on two separate occasions for extended periods of time, I was forced to purchase a new factory clutch when I didn’t require one, I purchased a flywheel that was unusable and I am out tens of thousands of dollars as a direct cause of my purchase of AWE Tuning supplied Sachs parts.

Its only one person's experience, but after more than 20 years of owning, servicing and modifying Porsches, buying Sachs parts from AWE Tuning was the worst experience I have had.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Holy Hijack Batman!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Sach was the oe clutch supplier, however my 2000 oe clutch cover has slots presumably to allow cooling & i have never seen a Sachs replacement clutch cover with this.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had no problems with Sachs kits. LUK flywheels can be had on eBay for $400 and change, way better than $1000 for the same thing with Porsche on the box.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:18 PM
oceanbluecab
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sachs is the OEM supplier to Porsche and some LUK and Sachs parts are interchangeable. I replaced my clutch last year and the old part was identical to LUK/Sachs. See link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...uk-clutch.html
Old 05-25-2017, 03:34 PM
Andrewst.
3rd Gear

I replaced my Boxster(986) clutch last year using the EPS PORSCHE 986 BOXTER UPGRADED CLUTCH KIT. It only cost me about $300 (can't remember the exact number, but it's $329 now). I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes_996
Ok, I'm about to have my clutch replaced and am picking up the parts to have it done. Do I just get the Sach's kit of ebay for about $450ish or the Porsche kit from the dealer for about $520? Are they one in the same? Also while I'm in there the IMS and RMS is gonna get done as well as the AOS. Should I have the chain tensions replaced when they do the IMS? Thanks for the input fellas.
I am doing the same thing, I got the Sach for $423 I think it cost. If I recall correctly from memory the pressure plate and friction disc are identical between the new one and the one I removed from my yr2000 996.

I can check again when I get home this evening.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by TC996
I have been driving Porsches as my daily driver since 1991 when I purchased a ’88 944S. I have had several daily driver Porsches since that time, after the 944, they were all 911s. I am very familiar with the product, how to drive and maintain it, and I have a long history of service on all of my vehicles from Porsche direct only.

I had one issue with my 2001 996 Cabriolet when I undertook replacement of the clutch; a minor rear main seal leak only. I purchased my car from Porsche as a lease return from a Porsche employee with 50,000 km on it. My car had more than 160,000 km on the original clutch, and it was operating flawlessly when I undertook this upgrade. I elected to upgrade my clutch and flywheel as I wanted the minor leak rectified, and I attempting to be proactive to save myself future labour to disassemble the same portion of the drivetrain to replace the clutch in the future and to increase my car’s performance. My dealer is a Premier Porsche dealer, the Sachs clutch and lightweight flywheel were supplied by AWE Tuning.

The work was completed in the spring of this year, and the car returned to me. Very soon after its return, it became clear that the clutch was not operating properly, and within approximately 2000 km the clutch began to slip and fail. The car was returned to Porsche, who disassembled the clutch to diagnose an repair.

At that time, AWE refused to replace the part without inspection. I waited with my vehicle disassembled for more than 2 months for the parts to be sent away, inspected, tested etc. The Porsche dealer's ability to install the part correctly was brought into question by AWE (I find it extremely unlikely that a dealership of this calibre and reputation could install a clutch incorrectly), my driving style and ability was questioned (clearly, with 160,000 km+ on the original clutch and very little wear it was not my driving style), so by the process of elimination, I do not see how the issue can by anything other than a defective part and/or supply of the incorrect parts. After all of this, it was discovered that AWE had indeed supplied incorrect parts for my vehicle. In the end, the part was replaced and reinstalled.

The problem did appear to be solved, and the clutch did operate properly for several months; then the same symptoms reappeared, and the clutch began to slip again with less than 4000 additional km. That is a total of approximately 6000 km to burn-out two brand new clutches. I don’t that believe that the worst driver could be responsible for that level of wear, so once again it’s not the driver. If it is extremely unlikely that a Premier Porsche dealer installed a clutch incorrectly once, then it is practically impossible that they did so twice, so it’s not the installer.

I returned the car once again. Inspection of the parts shows unusual wear and heat damage. The flywheel is scored and worn as well. I am not a mechanic, but clearly there was something wrong with these parts individually, in combination or with some part that is incorporated in their installation.

I told my service advisor that I did not want to go through the same nightmare again (the dealer was amazing and extremely helpful throughout the entire matter). I instructed him to replace the Sachs clutch with a factory part and to get a refund on the Sachs clutch as it clearly never operated properly. Once again, I was buying a new factory replacement clutch when I didn’t need one in the first place! In addition, the lightweight flywheel is damaged and of no use to me. Luckily, I kept the original flywheel to reinstall, but I had still paid for a flywheel that is either defective of incorrect and was now clearly damaged.

AWE Tuning refused to do anything further to mitigate my damages, simply saying that their parts dont fail.

I was without my vehicle on two separate occasions for extended periods of time, I was forced to purchase a new factory clutch when I didn’t require one, I purchased a flywheel that was unusable and I am out tens of thousands of dollars as a direct cause of my purchase of AWE Tuning supplied Sachs parts.

Its only one person's experience, but after more than 20 years of owning, servicing and modifying Porsches, buying Sachs parts from AWE Tuning was the worst experience I have had.
The one question I have is was the lightweight flywheel also installed when you had the clutch replaced the first time? Could your issues be as a result of the lightweight flywheel since when you went back to OEM you also went back to factory flywheel? Just a question since when I had my IMS/RMS addressed when I got my 2004 C2, I had my clutch replaced and considered the lightweight flywheel but my Indy recommended against it. Did not go into details but trusted my Indy's advise.

Quick Reply: Sachs or Porsche clutch kit?