996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Strange suspension noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

it sounds like a strut bearing... only c4, c4s has them.... they sit on top of the strut and require lube. When you turn the wheel the dimension changes hence the need for the bearing. The lube dries up after awhile..... my .02
Old 08-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

My strut bearings are less than 6 months old. This sounds different.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Well, the good news is that this was the least expensive Porsche repair I've experienced so far. As I said in my previous post, this noise sounded like something rolling around in the frunk. What it turned out to be was a large full bottle of Arizona Iced Tea rolling around under the passenger's side front seat.

I should have realized that the noise started right when my teenager got into the car with me. I asked him if he heard the noise, and he said "no". When he finally did hear it, I asked him if he brought anything with him that might be causing this noise, and again he said "no". I don't ever eat or drink in the car, so I know I didn't put it there. He has now acknowledged that it was his iced tea.

Anyway, even though I feel stupid for this being the problem, I'm glad that's all it was.

Quick Reply: Strange suspension noise...