Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:04 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

OP glad it wasn't anything worse....
not to go OT too much but since ROCS is here....I've got a similar question....what's the lead time and turn around time for a complete engine rebuild keeping 3.4 or going bigger....99 C2...nothing wrong with it...just approaching higher miles
Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Absolutely not.

BTW- I told the OP on the phone that this could be water pump bearings failing as well.. Thats why I suggested a sump inspection prior to making a decision to tear into the engine for an IMS procedure.

Glad to see this one wasn't worst case scenario. Also glad to see that the OP took this seriously and had the work carried out as well. Not taking noises seriously leads to a bad day.

There is no good noise that comes from an engine. Take every noise as a worst case scenario..
Jake,
Alan and I had in essence the same conversation you had, we discussed all potential bearing noises and their similarities. In the video it certainly sounded like the death rattle, your direction was appropriate and professional.
In his case the clutch fork was severely bent and was rubbing on the pressure plate. Alan had already decided to undertake the retrofit regardless of it needing it or not. I make sure all our customers know about the potential issue as I don't want fingers pointed in my direction for failing to properly advise them.

Rich
Old 08-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Rich,
Glad to see you were able to properly diagnose this and didn't just start throwing parts at the problem.

Our days of advising folks about what they should do are over... Time to finish writing the book on it. Otherwise they can ship their car to us :-)
Old 08-20-2011, 02:37 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Silotwo, pm sent
Geetee, pm sent

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Rich,
Glad to see you were able to properly diagnose this and didn't just start throwing parts at the problem.

Our days of advising folks about what they should do are over... Time to finish writing the book on it. Otherwise they can ship their car to us :-)
Jake, you are right, enough time has elapsed though its amazing how many people still don't know about the IMS...
Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
Silotwo, pm sent
Geetee, pm sent

Jake, you are right, enough time has elapsed though its amazing how many people still don't know about the IMS...

Rich - thanks for spending the time in an attempt to educate. I hope you can understand that the IMS has been bantered about so often that a basic owner/driver like myself gets confused. I am no longer a DIY'er (although I did replace the alternator on my Ford Ranger this afternoon and once upon a time, back in the days of carburation, disc brakes were expected, and computers a distint thought, I spent my time turning wrenches and balancing and blue printing engines for a local shop. But that was many decades ago and these days I want to understand theory but I only trust the trained professionals to touch my cars (the junk trucks I can still handle).

Thanks again - I will be in touch after I retrieve my service records so we will know exactly what was done and when.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I am so very glad this turned out well for the OP, and that he displayed the goodwill to update the thread header.

NOT IMS FAILURE!!

Good man.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

What's an IMS?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

so we can all sleep now?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:34 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
I am so very glad this turned out well for the OP, and that he displayed the goodwill to update the thread header.

NOT IMS FAILURE!!

Good man.
+1000000000000000000000000000
Old 08-22-2011, 02:03 PM
zabuch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i live in nyc, how long would a job like that take on 03 c4 cab with 63k on her
Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zabuch
i live in nyc, how long would a job like that take on 03 c4 cab with 63k on her

The car is on the rack for 2 days for the procedure, depending on the "while you're in there list" it will dictate how many days we'd actually need it for. We've never had one take longer than a week with add-ons.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:39 PM
PFAR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AndyK
If someone replaced the IMS seals only, does that mean whoever did it looked at the bearing and determined it was fine? If the bearing isn't being killed by seaping oil (thanks to the new seals), does that mean all should be well for some time?
Hmmmn, I was thinking of the same thing. According to the maintenance records of the car I purchased (01 C2) a few days ago, Porsche determined that the RMS and IMS seals were leaking in 2007. They replaced the two seals as well as the bolts that go on the IMS flange at that time. The LN retrofit was not done and Im curious to know if, per Standard Operating Procedure, they also checked the IMS bearing and deemed the condition to be acceptable.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PFAR
Hmmmn, I was thinking of the same thing. According to the maintenance records of the car I purchased (01 C2) a few days ago, Porsche determined that the RMS and IMS seals were leaking in 2007. They replaced the two seals as well as the bolts that go on the IMS flange at that time. The LN retrofit was not done and Im curious to know if, per Standard Operating Procedure, they also checked the IMS bearing and deemed the condition to be acceptable.
No tech in his right mind would let a bad IMS bearing slide by...dealer or independent so if they replaced the flange/seal and left the bearing alone is because they deemed the bearing to be solid....However, you can't really tell if the IMS bearing seals (the ones on both sides of the actual bearing) have been compromised and allowing just enough oil into the IMS shaft tube by just removing the flange with the flange seal, only real way to tell is by pulling the bearing out. You see the flange seal will allow oil to seep out of the case whereas compromised IMS seals will allow oil past the ball bearings and into the IMS tube. (see pic on page 3 of this thread).
Best
Rich
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM
marriotm
Instructor

Originally Posted by

This information may be helpful to some in the event that someone may need to do the same:

[B
- LNE IMS Retrofit Performed

- All 6 Coil Packs and Spark Plugs Replaced

- AOS Replaced

- Front Crankshaft Seal Replaced - (The seal was found pushed in and leaking. Rich noticed that this was due to a piece of an old fan belt being lodged behind the crankshaft pulley putting pressure on this seal)

- The Clutch Release Arm, Clutch Slave Cylinder, Other Various Bolts etc. were replaced. Also replaced the old clutch kit with a new Sachs Clutch Kit.

- Rear Main Seal (997 Update)

- 4-6 Timing Chain Tensioner

- Oil Change
[/B]

Hope the info above helps someone out.

Thanks again.

Alan
How much was all of this??
Old 12-01-2011, 05:43 PM
mikstew
Advanced

Thumbs up

OP: Congrats on your positive outcome !

Although I can can say from the second I heard the rattle in your video, I knew you would be ok.

May I ask, did your clutch job include replacing the flywheel?

Cheers

Quick Reply: *UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)