Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, clutch and flywheel have to come off to access IMS so the labor is the same and what we ref to as "overlap"
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The consensus of the board seems to be that the real cost of the IMS bearing replacement is the labor which is why, if you're in there doing your clutch, everyone suggests doing the bearing. This is why I think it probably works both ways. If you're going to spend the time/labor getting in there and tearing it apart, you might as well replace all of the normal wear and tear parts before putting it back together and just get a new clutch (assuming the one there isn't brand new).

This is the exact dilemma(?) I'm having with my car (which, btw, isn't even in my garage yet! lol). The prior owner JUST had the RMS and IMS seals replaced and a brand new clutch installed without doing the bearing! So, if I had to open her up it would be to tackle one job: the IMS bearing replacement.

-Eric
Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If someone replaced the IMS seals only, does that mean whoever did it looked at the bearing and determined it was fine? If the bearing isn't being killed by seaping oil (thanks to the new seals), does that mean all should be well for some time?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Andy
There are no seals on the ims that are replaceable, it is a one piece unit, meaning you replace the IMS bearing assy which is manufactured with seals in it, what happens is that the factory seals get compromised and oil leaks past the ball bearings and into the IMS tube. Go on to LN engineering or Flat Six and you can read all about it.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
Andy
There are no seals on the ims that are replaceable, it is a one piece unit, meaning you replace the IMS bearing assy which is manufactured with seals in it, what happens is that the factory seals get compromised and oil leaks past the ball bearings and into the IMS tube. Go on to LN engineering or Flat Six and you can read all about it.
Interesting. The note I received from the service guy at Rector Porsche was that the "rear main and i shaft seals" were replaced when the clutch was done. Does that make sense? I don't have the service log book yet so I don't have any more details. Do you know what he meant?

-Eric
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Porsche refers to the updated IMS flange with improved triple seal as "replaced IMS seal".
Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Thank you!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's see if my understanding is anywhere near correct. The dealer replaces the IMS seal and flange (had mine done because they said the seal was weeping and damp but no oil actually leaking) but this is NOT the bearing seal. Yet, the bearing seal would most likely be compromised if the IMS flange seal was wet? Or is the IMS flange seal sealing the engine from oil other than what would be passing through the IMS bearing?

I probably have this totally screwed up so anyone with the knowledge who is kind enought to respond to set things straight would be appreciated.

I am trying to understand whether or not the need to replace the IMS flange seal is an indicator that the IMS bearing itself is on its way to imminent failure.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2011, 05:11 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a bad factory design, not letting oil splash lubricate the inferior bearings to prevent failure!

Reminds me of the 16v 944 motors with the well designed cam chain tensioners that started with a plastic guide surface for the chains to pass over. Add heat, and miles, and the plastic become brittle, and had the potential to break. What's under the plastic guide piece? Sharp metal edges, of course! Chain catches on that, and BAM!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Congratulations on your good fortune. I had my IMS, RMS, and AOS replaced when I had my transmission rebuilt. The cost was about the cost of a steak dinner...in Fiji after a 2 week all expense vacation!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by silotwo
Let's see if my understanding is anywhere near correct. The dealer replaces the IMS seal and flange (had mine done because they said the seal was weeping and damp but no oil actually leaking) but this is NOT the bearing seal. Yet, the bearing seal would most likely be compromised if the IMS flange seal was wet? Or is the IMS flange seal sealing the engine from oil other than what would be passing through the IMS bearing?
Correct the flange seal is the brown seal around the circumference of the flange
I probably have this totally screwed up so anyone with the knowledge who is kind enought to respond to set things straight would be appreciated.
You have it right
I am trying to understand whether or not the need to replace the IMS flange seal is an indicator that the IMS bearing itself is on its way to imminent failure.
No, not really, I see these leaking all the time with good bearings
Thanks in advance
Please see comments above
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Curious, if the death rattle was not the IMS exploding but a clutch fork gone rogue, would that trigger the Guardian to "Go Hot" ?
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 AM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mjb2448
Curious, if the death rattle was not the IMS exploding but a clutch fork gone rogue, would that trigger the Guardian to "Go Hot" ?
Read back on the thread, it was the clutch not the ims. Ims procedure was done as preventive action...
Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb2448
Absolutely not.

BTW- I told the OP on the phone that this could be water pump bearings failing as well.. Thats why I suggested a sump inspection prior to making a decision to tear into the engine for an IMS procedure.

Glad to see this one wasn't worst case scenario. Also glad to see that the OP took this seriously and had the work carried out as well. Not taking noises seriously leads to a bad day.

There is no good noise that comes from an engine. Take every noise as a worst case scenario..
Old 08-20-2011, 11:31 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
Please see comments above
Thank you! If one were to schedule IMSB replacement, flywheel, clutch pack and AOS replacement what is your approximate lead time for scheduling and approximate turn around time? Is there anything else you would recommend at the same time? Car is an 04 C2 and has 67K miles on it. Lifters for 4 through 6 were replaced at 46k under CPO and in accordance with the specs for same through Porsche warranty. I am in NE pa so I am assuming I am within driving range of your shop.

Quick Reply: *UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)