Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

*UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
vange_c4s
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh my - keep us posted.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb2448
Hopefully that quick action prob saved your motor, and pretty lucky you were in your garage. When you made the purchase a month ago did you do a PPI ? An '02 with 52K on the clock seems like it was driven well for a cab in your area, did the previous owner store during winter ? I see that you're on the list for the IMS Guardian, and drove your car knowing the worst thing for the IMS is to sit and veg in the garage.....well your situation awareness and luck may take some of the sting out. Best Wishes.
Please tell us how a PPI will catch this before it makes any noise or fails. We would all like to check ours.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:04 AM
mjb2448
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
Please tell us how a PPI will catch this before it makes any noise or fails. We would all like to check ours.
Well it goes something like this..... the OP purchased the car a little over a month ago....at the height of the IMS plague with the future promise of an antibiotic soon to be released by the Lab. At this point you must engage your imagination and use the term PPI generically and expand it to include any sights, smells, sounds of any organic material emitting from the RMS/IMS area. coupled with a oil change and necropsy of the oil filter. Granted, still a shot in the dark but better than the fingers in the crossed position.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:54 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
ROCS auto in belleville, NJ, they have done many. Good shop, they did mine.
My car will go there for a complete engine out R&R in a few weeks. There will be plenty of pictures during the process...
Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 111 Posts

That is the same noise I experienced when my IMS failed. The only difference is that once I shut the motor down, oil started to spill onto the garage floor.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:48 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have suggested, if you haven't already, pull the oil filter and inspect for metal. You will only lose a small amount of oil that was in and around the filter.

I would think there should be some debris (black plastic/metal etc) in the filter if you are having this type of internal engine issue.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 AM
alan111
Instructor

I'd just like to update everyone on this thread.

It WAS NOT THE IMS BEARING!!!!!!! (Thank G-d)

I had spoken with Jake Raby on the phone and he and I both agreed that this is definitely the "death rattle". Thankfully it was not.

I had my 996 flatbedded to ROCS Auto in Belleville for perform the IMS retrofit (or resuscitation for my engine).
I did not have the knowledge or the tools to pull the oil filter myself, and since it was almost dead obvious that this was the IMS death rattle, I did not want to any chances starting the car again. I had Rich perform the IMS retrofit anyways to prevent any further scare.

He pulled the oil filter and there was ZERO bits of metal. Nothing. Zero.

Upon dropping the transmission, he inspected the IMS flange as attached.

He noticed some light leaking, but the bearing has not yet broken. He noted that the seal has broken and oil had begun seeping through, and obviously, it was only a matter of time before catastrophic failure. I brought the car in at the perfect time!

I still don't know exactly what the rattling was from (as I asked Rich to under no circumstances to start the car until the IMS has been replaced), but it is gone. For anyone who might be interested, the following work was done. I also highlighted it in another thread regarding some noises my car was making.

This information may be helpful to some in the event that someone may need to do the same:

- LNE IMS Retrofit Performed

- All 6 Coil Packs and Spark Plugs Replaced

- AOS Replaced

- Front Crankshaft Seal Replaced - (The seal was found pushed in and leaking. Rich noticed that this was due to a piece of an old fan belt being lodged behind the crankshaft pulley putting pressure on this seal)

- The Clutch Release Arm, Clutch Slave Cylinder, Other Various Bolts etc. were replaced. Also replaced the old clutch kit with a new Sachs Clutch Kit.

- Rear Main Seal (997 Update)

- 4-6 Timing Chain Tensioner

- Oil Change

Hope the info above helps someone out.

Thanks again.

Alan
Old 08-19-2011, 12:32 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alan111
I'd just like to update everyone on this thread.

It WAS NOT THE IMS BEARING!!!!!!! (Thank G-d)

I had spoken with Jake Raby on the phone and he and I both agreed that this is definitely the "death rattle". Thankfully it was not.

I had my 996 flatbedded to ROCS Auto in Belleville for perform the IMS retrofit (or resuscitation for my engine).
I did not have the knowledge or the tools to pull the oil filter myself, and since it was almost dead obvious that this was the IMS death rattle, I did not want to any chances starting the car again. I had Rich perform the IMS retrofit anyways to prevent any further scare.

He pulled the oil filter and there was ZERO bits of metal. Nothing. Zero.

Upon dropping the transmission, he inspected the IMS flange as attached.

He noticed some light leaking, but the bearing has not yet broken. He noted that the seal has broken and oil had begun seeping through, and obviously, it was only a matter of time before catastrophic failure. I brought the car in at the perfect time!

I still don't know exactly what the rattling was from (as I asked Rich to under no circumstances to start the car until the IMS has been replaced), but it is gone. For anyone who might be interested, the following work was done. I also highlighted it in another thread regarding some noises my car was making.

This information may be helpful to some in the event that someone may need to do the same:

- LNE IMS Retrofit Performed

- All 6 Coil Packs and Spark Plugs Replaced

- AOS Replaced

- Front Crankshaft Seal Replaced - (The seal was found pushed in and leaking. Rich noticed that this was due to a piece of an old fan belt being lodged behind the crankshaft pulley putting pressure on this seal)

- The Clutch Release Arm, Clutch Slave Cylinder, Other Various Bolts etc. were replaced. Also replaced the old clutch kit with a new Sachs Clutch Kit.

- Rear Main Seal (997 Update)

- 4-6 Timing Chain Tensioner

- Oil Change

Hope the info above helps someone out.

Thanks again.

Alan
Sweet Moses! That must have been a hell of a bill. Glad everything worked our for you. Why didn't he replace the 1-3 chain tensioner? Not that you have to but seems to make sense. You can replace it later without taking the trans down but I would have for good measure.

How does the car drive now? I bet it's all
Old 08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Congratulations! In Baseball fans often say "good eye" I guess in this instance "good ear" is appropriate!
Old 08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to hear it wasn't the bearing!
Mind sharing how much they charged for the work?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:41 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
Sweet Moses! That must have been a hell of a bill. Glad everything worked our for you. Why didn't he replace the 1-3 chain tensioner? Not that you have to but seems to make sense. You can replace it later without taking the trans down but I would have for good measure.

How does the car drive now? I bet it's all
The reason why we didn't replace the 1-3 tens is because it looked recently replaced, not even the typical bit of wear as is usually typical with a 50k mile car.
4-6 on the other hand had wear and was replaced.

Best
Rich
Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to see a photo of the NEW bearing assembly installed!

Good to know you are close Rich @ ROCS, just in case I hear that rattling!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:33 PM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I'd like to see a photo of the NEW bearing assembly installed!

Good to know you are close Rich @ ROCS, just in case I hear that rattling!
Andy,here is a pic.

The advantage of the IMS retrofit is largely preventive maintenance.
When Alan first sent me the video, I too agreed, just like Jake, that is sounded like the death rattle. Once it arrived and we inspected it we knew it wasn't. Alan wisely chose to do the IMS as preventive maintenance.
As for the source of his noise(s), bent clutch fork which in turn beat up the pressure plate/bearing.

Rich
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
alan111
Instructor

Originally Posted by ROCS Auto Inc
Andy,here is a pic.

The advantage of the IMS retrofit is largely preventive maintenance.
When Alan first sent me the video, I too agreed, just like Jake, that is sounded like the death rattle. Once it arrived and we inspected it we knew it wasn't. Alan wisely chose to do the IMS as preventive maintenance.
As for the source of his noise(s), bent clutch fork which in turn beat up the pressure plate/bearing.

Rich
Looks beautiful!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious, is the clutch a "while you are in there" kind of replacement (no labor, just parts) when replacing the IMS bearing?

Quick Reply: *UPDATE: NOT IMS FAILURE!! ** Imminent IMS Failure? HELP! (With Video)