Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Convertible Top Problems: Guidance Appreciated

Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parking light is on at all times when the handbrake is engaged.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
upthesharks
AutoX

Hi AckyE,
any update to your posts last year with your Cab issue?
I have similar problems that have gotten worse over the past few days.
Was it your battery, a micro-switch or something else?
Any direction on the resolution to this problem is appreciated.
Cheers
Jason
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Jason...I had the same problem and it was the e-brake sensor. Even though the dash light showed the e-brake was on, the same was not true of the conv top system. Replaced the sensor and all works fine. Good luck!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

It has seemed to work OK after my last post. I have had the car in storage for the winter and am itching to get it back out to drive. I'll have to test the top once it's ready for the summer, and I'll post any updates. One more month and I'll be rolling
Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Black00Box
4th Gear

You may want to bone up on manual operation of your top, should it get stuck on you when you're out and it starts raining. It's pretty straight forward, and there is a cranking tool ready for you behind the back seat. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny thing is that I am experiencing the same issue... "intermittent" convertible top operation.
After having the hardtop installed for the last 2 winter months....now we are steady at 70-80 degrees during the day....struggling with this issue (do not want to get caught in the rain).
By the way...the clam shell always opens....but the top sometimes closes...sometimes does not....
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
AckyE
Rennlist Member

So my update: I brought the car out of storage and first time I put the top down was the day after I had taken it for a nice ride. I used the key in the door method. All worked well until it came time for the clamshell to come back into place. It did not budge. So I started the car and used the switch. Nothing. So I has my wife select the switch to cloe the top and had to manually raise the convertible top about 6 inches an and then it started moving. Then reversed the switch, everything worked fine. Next time I went to close the top everything worked. But when I tried opening the top, same thing, clamshell would not move so I followed the same procedure to open the top as described.

Now what is my next step? Any ideas?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I tried again,,,it refused to close the first 5 tries...then I inadvertenly pushed one of the 2 flaps/wings and all of a sudden it started working. I wonder if those 2 flaps can be lubricated...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AckyE
Hello fellow Rennlisters

Recently acquired a 99 996 cabriolet. Having an issue with the convertible top.

Earlier on today, and once maybe a week ago, I went to close the top and it did not close all the way so I had to manually pull the top forward slightly so that it would clip into the correct place.

So today I dropped the top and drove it. When I got to my destination, I had to provide some assistance again to close. When I attempted to open by turning the key in the door as well as using the rocker switch, the rear compartment opens up, however the top does not move at all.

So I searched and saw that the engine compartment needs to be shut completely. I double checked and closed it again to be sure. Still, same issue. When I attempt to open, hear a few clicks and rear compartment opens, but nothing. Convertible top light is also flashing on the dash.

Also, windows don't move up after they come down initially for the unsuccessful open and the interior light seems to get a power drain.

Any suggestions appreciated

I have a 99 C2 996 cab and IMHO you have two very small problems here. Where the top engages into the front slots. There are scews behind there that need to be tightened. My top would not engage fully and would go into reverse because of it. So I tightened them up (mine were loose on the left side) and all worked from then on. OK the other problem I found when I first discovered that I could lower and raise the top from standing outside the car using the door key was that I flattend (or almost) the battery showing off the action to my wife in the garage. Since I had previously been messing with wiring on another part of the car, I first thought that I had caused damage to the working part of the top. NOT SO... I put my battery on charge overnight and everything worked just fine including the windows.. Try that and I think you will find that there is nothing wrong with your car.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:07 PM
ctrzaska
Intermediate

ANy ideas for when the allen screw head is sheared off? Yes, I know, not good. Can't lift the top now with the switch (rain tomorrow!) as the rear only lifts about 1/2" and stops. Motors are all new, top is new... worked fine for a week but no go. Went to manually close the thing for the first time, and no screw head... looks like it sheared off into the hole behind the rear deck. Ideas?
Old 06-24-2012, 10:31 PM
carrera/corvette
AutoX

I just had the same problem. Had to replace both top cylinders due to leaking. Refilling the reservoir is a temporary fix and you could get stranded with the top down. The indy mechanic used rebuilt cylinders, still $400 apiece plus labor for a total of $1400, this did include an oil change also. I found out later any hydraulic shop can rebuild the cylinders for $75 apiece. Top works great now.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, Pentosin CHF 11 is widely used by all of the German car manufacturers in Power Steering pumps, etc.; or any application requiring a high performance hydraulic fluid. So having a bottle handy on your garage shelf is a good idea...in spite of its high cost.

relinuca
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM
jjb7
Rennlist Member

I had a similiar issue. Everything is a sequence. If the rear compartment opens, then the Parking brake switch is working. My driver's side wing did not open. I greased it. Now it works fine. The previous owner had to do the same.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
carrera/corvette
AutoX

We don't have a Porsche dealer in Daytona BEach but BMW and VW stock the Pentosin fluid. NAPA carries it also but they were out.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
glf911996
2nd Gear

Default Problem with convertible top...

Hey guys, I need some help. I have a 2001 911 996 cabriolet. The front and rear windows work when the top is up. Upon lowering the top, however, the rear windows do not work and, to make matters worse, the top will not deploy. Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convertible Top Problems: Guidance Appreciated