Sponsored by:

Foam pieces from A/C vents

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Kazual99
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Foam pieces from A/C vents

The current "smelly air post" got me to wondering what I should do about foam chunks flying out of my air vents. The grey colored foam seems to be the stuff used to seal the air ducts to each other. I'm thinking it would be a PITA to pull the dash and replace all the foam.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Live with it.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Kazual99
Pro

LOL.... I agree. Used the shop vac to pull the remaining pieces out.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Mine has been doing the same thing for a year or two. The foam is coming from an vent door inside the system. There is a DIY either here or on Renntech that shows you how to fix it. The dash does not have to come out, and it looks relatively easy.

It's on the list to do, but it's not really bothering me and the HVAC system still works as it should.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Have the problem in the 968 - now 18 years old, but not in the C4. The good news is - unlike the Air Cooled years - these Porsches have such powerful A/C & heaters that a little lost sealing in the vent is not missed. Just need to vacuum more often.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Sadly, as our cars get older and older (particularly in very high heat areas) the foam that helps to seal the various air ducts within the a/c and heating systems starts to break down. It's a royal pain in the rear to dig into those places to replace failing foam. The vacuum solution will at least clear out the existing loose pieces, but in time you will be unable to control your cabin temperature effectively as the ducts will let hot mix with the cold.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best bet is drive the car alot and run the a/c all the time then it will be over in a shorter period of time
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sadly, as our cars get older and older (particularly in very high heat areas) the foam that helps to seal the various air ducts within the a/c and heating systems starts to break down. It's a royal pain in the rear to dig into those places to replace failing foam. The vacuum solution will at least clear out the existing loose pieces, but in time you will be unable to control your cabin temperature effectively as the ducts will let hot mix with the cold.
Since I see no real benefit in using the A/C to cool down the engine coolant, water jacket, I always run the system in Max cool mode (reheat/remix blend door fully closed) and then use the "low" blower speed to control the cabin comfort level.

In my '95 LS400 I am able to "latch" the coolant valve to the heater core closed, gets me ~28MPG hwy rather than ~25MPG.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazual99
The current "smelly air post" got me to wondering what I should do about foam chunks flying out of my air vents. The grey colored foam seems to be the stuff used to seal the air ducts to each other. I'm thinking it would be a PITA to pull the dash and replace all the foam.

Has anyone else experienced this?
The foam is coming from the air intake flapper door right behind the cabin air filter. This is pretty common on older cars that spend most of their time outdoors.

You can easily remove the residual foam sheeting from the flapper door by removing the cabin filter and reaching down to the door and pulling off the remaining foam. Also you can stick a vacuum with a crevice tool on it to suck out any other foam that is in the blower motor cavity right below the door. Lastly, if you want, you can get a new piece of foam from any fabric store and replace the old foam that has disintegrated.

This repair is completely accessible from the outside cowl on the passenger side of the car. Just remove the plastic cover as you would to replace the cabin filter, pull out the filter, and reach in and pull out the old foam.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Kazual99
Pro

Originally Posted by Orient Express
The foam is coming from the air intake flapper door right behind the cabin air filter. This is pretty common on older cars that spend most of their time outdoors.

This repair is completely accessible from the outside cowl on the passenger side of the car. Just remove the plastic cover as you would to replace the cabin filter, pull out the filter, and reach in and pull out the old foam.
Great tip. Thx

Quick Reply: Foam pieces from A/C vents