Sponsored by:

Men who flaunt flashy cars not the ‘marrying kind’

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:31 PM
babylonboots
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I saw this article in the USA Just as peacocks flaunt their brightly colored tails to attract potential mates, certain men show off flashy products to draw the attention of women, the study found. The researchers also indicated that the men who pursued this strategy were only interested in short-term sexual relationships.
Copyright © 2010 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc.
Wow, this makes perfect sense - pcars send women the wrong message. "I don't want a relationship/commitment/family/nagging, just SD&R&R". Now, off with the knickers.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 PM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

remember this was a marketing study........so Porsche won't advertise in KNOT magazine. I can see it now....no more "it's not you.... it's me crap"...it will be "it's not you, it's my (your) porsche...or maybe.... "achem babe, I just put a deposit on a beautiful Porsche"......see if she sticks around lol. I can't believe that this "study" gets such legs........

And FWIW, my wife loves to drive my car and I owned mine before we got married and all my years together have been great, both on and off the track!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

My wife freely admits that she loved my sports car when we were dating(well no one here would call a Pontiac Fiero that but it was a different time and we were still in our teens back then - 18/19teen) 27 yrs ago. Well, she still married me in spite of the "flashy car"... and I have owned sports cars ever since. Perhaps she was re-enforcing a different message.

This study has it wrong. Women are just as competitive as men. We like being faster than the other guy on a track, driving a gorgeous car, and dating/marrying a beautiful woman... for her a sports car in the driveway is a symbol of her own financial and marital success. Plus she freely admits to beating the driver next to her off the line every so often. We share everything in life so she worked hard to share in this car as well. Enjoy the ride folks and have a great 4th.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
curt_928
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a load of BS. When I was single, there was NO WOMAN in this city that wanted to ride in my 928 or 924... I think the "type" they're alluding to is the "player" with the flashy car. They didn't have to "publish" to get that point across..

I only traded the older posches for a newer one once I met my now wife. And I guess this means I have to get rid of the 360 because I can only fit one other woman in it..
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Nutty Professor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Porsche before the girl. Now I have the girl in my avatar.....still have the Porsche too. What does this mean? I only want her for sex! LOL!!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, if a woman is only dating a guy because he has a Porsche - she shouldn't expect to marry him.

I would also guess a study would say the average married man drives a honda accord and toyota camry.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:34 PM
spender
Pro

I think this article is crap too. My impression of Porsche (in particular) over a lot of other expensive cars is that impressing women with them is by far a secondary objective. Porsche is simply a fun toy for men - it's just a blast to drive. If anything, you buy it to impress other guys (but not in a gay way - not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Seinfeld!)

Compare this now to the latest Mercedes models, that have a logo bigger than your head on the front bumper - kind of reminds me of the tackiness of Louis Vuitton products. Mercedes for the most part is basically a German Buick - but it's pricey. My impression is that these young realtors driving these are trying to use them to pull chicks a lot more than most guys I see in their Porsches, who just look like they drive them because they love the car.

PS: Nutty Professor, does your S.O. know that you're using her for your avatar on Rennlist? Just curious...
Old 07-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA... that's perfect not just do you attract chicks with a P. but they don't want to have a long term relationship...

Dude that's excellent!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Does riding around with my wife in the cabriolet constitute "flaunting"?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:27 AM
robert r
Racer

I, like some here fail to see the negative...
Old 07-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Nutty Professor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spender
I think this article is crap too. My impression of Porsche (in particular) over a lot of other expensive cars is that impressing women with them is by far a secondary objective. Porsche is simply a fun toy for men - it's just a blast to drive. If anything, you buy it to impress other guys (but not in a gay way - not that there's anything wrong with that, to quote Seinfeld!)

Compare this now to the latest Mercedes models, that have a logo bigger than your head on the front bumper - kind of reminds me of the tackiness of Louis Vuitton products. Mercedes for the most part is basically a German Buick - but it's pricey. My impression is that these young realtors driving these are trying to use them to pull chicks a lot more than most guys I see in their Porsches, who just look like they drive them because they love the car.

PS: Nutty Professor, does your S.O. know that you're using her for your avatar on Rennlist? Just curious...
She doesn't mind, as long as I don't post or use any of her nude shots.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So I have a red Porsche (I guess the worst of the worst) and I also have a 2007 Honda Civic coupe, that my wife of 42 years drives. I guess I have a split personality. I would suggest that maybe I lead a secret life with the Porsche, but my wife knows about the Porsche... LOL! ... and the 16 previous Porsches. Obviously, THOSE are the jilted mistresses.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

I find this SHOCKING ... not the findings, but the fact that they needed to research study to determine something so dramatically self-apparent.

They missed the opportunity to conclude that the grass is generally green and the sky is typically blue.

One area that I would have found interesting is a data cut based on age. Clearly for some of us (me!) this is a mid-life crisis toy. My "signaling" days are long past.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 AM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Well... my wife drives a Porsche too, so maybe that is helping to contribute to our happy marriage!
+1
Old 07-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindav

(and so I could drive flat out on race tracks)
Now, that's what I'm talking about!!!

Two of my three Porsches pre-date my wife...

What the article should focus on are the women who are attracted to dating the guys in the Porsche - not the guys who have them!

About a week after I got my first red 944, I remember a girl at a party hitting on me all night long. Then, she asks if she can drive my car... I said "no" - and then she was history!

I had a girl friend for a while who confessed to me, when she met me, she figured I was a schmuck because I drove that red 944... but then, when she found out I drove it on the track, she had a new respect for me (perhaps an "oh, so that's why you enjoy it - for the driving, not picking up girls" revelation).

Quick Reply: Men who flaunt flashy cars not the ‘marrying kind’