Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   How To Change Idle Speed? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/637392-how-to-change-idle-speed.html)

100plus 06-05-2011 07:52 AM

How To Change Idle Speed?

Hi guys,

Does anyone have instructions on how to change the idling speed on a 2000 porsche C4?

Cheers

100plus 06-05-2011 10:28 AM

No one?

Loren 06-05-2011 11:43 AM

If you have idle problems then you likely have a dirty throttle body or an intake air leak.
Why do you feel you need to adjust it?

BTW... the DME should keep it constant 700 RPM + or - 40 RPM (no AC).

Thundertub 06-05-2011 11:53 AM

100plus,

Your first post comes on a Sunday morning at sunrise here in the Eastern USA. The Western USA folks won't be up for hours. And it is Sunday morning... patience. I'm guessing 90% of Rennlisters are in the USA, and your best technical responders won't be looking in here until much later today.

However, that being said, Loren has given you the best possible response.

ivangene 06-05-2011 12:07 PM

why do you want to change the idle.....maybe the real issue is - "low idle, what's the problem"

the DME controls idle...as Loren stated

Zookie 06-05-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ivangene (Post 8613154)
why do you want to change the idle

i guess to make it sound like a Lambo @ Idle, they Idle at 1k and make all sorts of noise @ Idle :P

ivangene 06-05-2011 12:20 PM

might make clutch release easier too ..... ya know... dump and run :D

logray 06-05-2011 12:27 PM

Turn the A/C on. LOL.

100plus 06-06-2011 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Thundertub (Post 8613126)
100plus,

Your first post comes on a Sunday morning at sunrise here in the Eastern USA. The Western USA folks won't be up for hours. And it is Sunday morning... patience. I'm guessing 90% of Rennlisters are in the USA, and your best technical responders won't be looking in here until much later today.

However, that being said, Loren has given you the best possible response.

My apologiess .. I get impatient when it comes to my car! haha

100plus 06-06-2011 09:11 AM

So does that mean i cannot adjust my idle speed manually? Was thinking of putting it up to 900rpm

Thundertub 06-06-2011 10:03 AM

That is correct. You cannot adjust your idle manually. It is all done by the programming in the ECU. Two basic RPM settings are preset by the factory to keep the car running at idle with the A/C running (slightly higher RPM) and without the A/C running. The actual fuel flow depends on the dozens of factors monitored (ambient air temp, engine temp, barometric pressure, humidity, fuel quality, etc etc) The RPMS are selected not only to keep the engine running at idle with the two basic loads (A/C, no A/C) but to meet emission requirements for idle speeds.

You still haven't explained why you would want to do so.
If you have a manual transmission and have modified the flywheel to a lighter item, you probably need to have your ECU flashed with a program designed for that.

Keep in mind that the 1999 Carrera 2 was the last 996 to have an actual cable running from the gas pedal to the engine. Everything else is fly-by-wire after that.

100plus 06-06-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thundertub (Post 8615105)
That is correct. You cannot adjust your idle manually. It is all done by the programming in the ECU. Two basic RPM settings are preset by the factory to keep the car running at idle with the A/C running (slightly higher RPM) and without the A/C running. The actual fuel flow depends on the dozens of factors monitored (ambient air temp, engine temp, barometric pressure, humidity, fuel quality, etc etc) The RPMS are selected not only to keep the engine running at idle with the two basic loads (A/C, no A/C) but to meet emission requirements for idle speeds.

You still haven't explained why you would want to do so.
If you have a manual transmission and have modified the flywheel to a lighter item, you probably need to have your ECU flashed with a program designed for that.

Keep in mind that the 1999 Carrera 2 was the last 996 to have an actual cable running from the gas pedal to the engine. Everything else is fly-by-wire after that.

No particular reason. Just felt like pushing up the Rpms to 900. Nicer idle sound? Haha. Anyway thanks for the info! Now I know I cannot manually adjust it ...

Mike Murphy 02-25-2017 08:19 AM

On the cable drive, the idle speed is controlled by the idle air control valve, engine timing, and engine computer. Not the throttle plate.

The way to change this is to hack the DME. I wouldn't.

extanker 02-25-2017 10:30 AM

i am thinking he got it squared away...............the post was from 2011