Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Convertible top leaking hydraulic cylinder - home fixable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top leaking hydraulic cylinder - home fixable?

A buddy of mine has a '01 C2 convertible and his top isn't working - the shop diagnosed it as a leaking hydraulic cylinder. We have been looking at the maintenance manuals and are wondering if this would be a relatively easy home fix? Has anyone done something like this before?

The shop is quoting $1-2k and since he's getting married soon, any money saved would be welcome.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Not sure about rebuilding a cylinder but replacing one is not that hard. There is a possibility that the top will need to be recalibrated. The latest Durametric will do this.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
AronG
Intermediate

How was this problem solved? I diagnosed a slight leak in my left side top cylinder as well. Thx in advance...
Old 10-04-2011, 11:43 PM
AronG
Intermediate

As of Oct 4, 2011, there are several selections for pumps and/or cylinders on ebay for purchase. Usually just one cylinder or the pump will go bad. Most junk yards want to sell you the whole set up (2 cylinders & pump)

I don't believe the hydraulic cylinders can be rebuilt. I live in Atlanta, GA, with plenty of manufacturing in the rural areas. I called numerous hydraulic shops and visited several that said they would take a look. This included a hydraulic shop that was about 15m sq/ft. Everyone felt there was no way to open the cylinder, rebuild and then seal it again due to the crimped on design of the ends. I'm afraid ebay/junk yards are the only alternatives.

Last edited by AronG; 11-06-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Convertible top leaking hydraulic cylinder - home fixable?