Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   DIY Fuel filter change on C2 (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/622583-diy-fuel-filter-change-on-c2.html)

speed rII 03-17-2011 08:34 AM

DIY Fuel filter change on C2

I took some pics while I changed my fuel filter.
Takes about 30mins to change it.

Shoplift or greasepit will make this job easyer.

You need flathead screwdriver, 10mm socketwrench and container for fuel.
Use some rubber gloves when removing the filter.

1. Take off the midle plastic undercover, then you can see the coolant pipes and the fuel filter.

2. Remove the plastic clips that holds the coolant pipes 1 in the back and 1 front.

http://speedrii.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Fuelf...pg/_medium.jpg

3. Remove the fuel lines from filter, have a container for fuel.
The old filter will drain when the lines are disconnected.
Allso remember that if you just turn of your engine, there is pressure on the lines.
So have some kind of rag on the line when disconnecting.
Loosen the band that holds the filter and push the filter towards the back end of the car.

4. You can get the filter out here.

http://speedrii.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Fuelf...pg/_medium.jpg

5. After installing the new filter and plastic clips, don't instal the cover yet. Prime the system and start the car, it might take couple of starts before it stays on idle.
Turn off the car and check for any leaks. If there is no leaks, install plastic cover and your done.

Kazual99 03-17-2011 09:04 AM

Good post

Barn996 03-17-2011 03:37 PM

Thanks for your post, I bought a new fuel filter last winter but haven't installed it yet.Now I have the impetus to do so.

Optical TDI 03-17-2011 04:30 PM

What year is you 996?

speed rII 03-17-2011 06:19 PM

MY -98

bfutch 03-18-2011 07:46 PM

Nice job! Thanks for sharing

fullmetaljacket 05-01-2019 10:49 AM

Hi Guys. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was stuck under my 99 C2 for an hour trying to figure out how to remove the filter grrrr! The Space in between the 2 coolant pipes towards the back is not wide enough to squeeze out the fat filter. Do I use a caliper piston spreader tool to spread the 2 pipes apart? Im worried I'll break the pipes or something else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

cds72911 05-01-2019 10:56 AM

I seem to recall sliding it rearward to remove it from my 2000.

ThatSalesGuy 05-02-2019 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket (Post 15810885)
Hi Guys. Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I was stuck under my 99 C2 for an hour trying to figure out how to remove the filter grrrr! The Space in between the 2 coolant pipes towards the back is not wide enough to squeeze out the fat filter. Do I use a caliper piston spreader tool to spread the 2 pipes apart? Im worried I'll break the pipes or something else. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I did mine a couple weeks ago, it was a tight squeeze to get through the pipes, but it fit. About a foot or so back from the filter location, if I recall correctly.

fullmetaljacket 05-05-2019 02:38 AM

Thanks guys. You gave me the confidence to squeeze the darn filter out. What I did differently was use the plastic handle of a hammer and squeezed that in between the 2 pipes that were together (right under the original filter location). That has caused the wider space at the rear to expand more enabling me to easily slide the filter out. This job was really a PITA. But rewarding because I now have quick and brand new feel like starting :-) Thanks!

dak911 05-05-2019 08:33 AM

At about what mileage did you change your fuel filter?

ThatSalesGuy 05-05-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by dak911 (Post 15819471)

I just did mine at 103k. It was still the original filter. For some reason, 60k rings a bell as to the proper time, without looking it up.

fullmetaljacket 05-06-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by dak911 (Post 15819471)

There was a date scribbled on the old filter with a sharpee that says 5/2010. So I guess the filter was changed 9 years ago.

binaryaudax 04-09-2023 10:56 PM

Apologies for reviving an old thread... but I wanted to add that replacing the fuel filter is much easier if the transmission mount is removed. I was replacing the transmission bushing simultaneously with my fuel filter. I barely had to move the coolant pipes at all. Without the transmission mount bracket in place, there is plenty of room to remove the fuel filter without any fuss.

Outatimemk 10-27-2023 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by binaryaudax (Post 18736211)
Apologies for reviving an old thread... but I wanted to add that replacing the fuel filter is much easier if the transmission mount is removed. I was replacing the transmission bushing simultaneously with my fuel filter. I barely had to move the coolant pipes at all. Without the transmission mount bracket in place, there is plenty of room to remove the fuel filter without any fuss.

I normally do this stuff myself, but I didn’t feel like bracing it. I am watching a guy slowly push it back towards the transmission and out above the mount, as I’m typing this. So it is doable but not by me.