Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:59 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Dang that's awesome.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:26 PM
oemexp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oemexp
You can also go the other way with this. Take a full blown race car and add the weight back for the creature comforts you want to retain. My 04 996 GT3 RSR weighs in at 2370 pounds with no fuel. It has a heavier than EO fuel cell and pumps, brake parts, heavier large wheels and tires and it has a heavy electric power steering pump in the front trunk along with a full cage etc. Obviously, it's stripped otherwise. it may have been built with thin gauge steel also but I don't think so because many teams build competitive race cars from the street GT3 cars and they claim there is no difference in weight (but I've never confirmed this).
I forgot to mention that the motors in these cars have been put on a serious diet by Porsche. The gear box is heavier than a street non-GT3 996 and the engine may also be heavier than a non-GT3 motor. However, Porsche went with very thin castings for the water management on the RSR (much lighter than the previous GT3 race cars such as the R and RS). These also have 5lb Inconel headers and a $5K McLaren built 200A alternator that looks like a 40A toy alternator that comes on a civic. Unrestricted, the car puts out 540hp so the drive line has to be kind of heavy to be tough enough to handle that in endurance racing. In all, I think you can get a street car down pretty light if you start removing things and throwing them in "to be used for the restoration later" storage shed.

Last edited by oemexp; 05-29-2016 at 02:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:10 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Ahh mine's about 2425 without driver but not very streetable.....
FWIW.... My latest 996 is a 03' X51 sunroof delete(steel skin) and weighs 2,500 empty, about 75lb. more than my 99' 996. Nothing much different between the 2 cars except the 03' has a chromoly cage vs. the DOM cage in the 99' car. The 99's were just lighter to begin with....
Old 05-30-2016, 06:03 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
FWIW.... My latest 996 is a 03' X51 sunroof delete(steel skin) and weighs 2,500 empty, about 75lb. more than my 99' 996. Nothing much different between the 2 cars except the 03' has a chromoly cage vs. the DOM cage in the 99' car. The 99's were just lighter to begin with....
It had to do with the tub or chassis itself, they used more steel reinforcements in the later years to increase torsional rigidity. The even used different types of steels in places to step up the rigidity.
I have the documents that PORSCHE put out that goes over the improvements. It was a big help for the street cars to feel more solid, be quieter, and handle better.
That extra rigid chassis came at the expense of a little more weight. In reality, if you did your cage correctly then that factory extra steel won't help the chassis any because the cage will be doing a much more serious job of adding rigidness.

Let me know if you really want to know more JR., if so I will try to dig up the documents from PORSCHE that explain it in greater detail.

Btw, as I remember it your 99 had a 1.5" and pretty bare bones cage, correct ?
I'm guessing this 2003 car handles much differently than the 99, can you feel the difference ? I know there are numerous other changes as well so it might be hard to tell.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:06 PM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
... In reality, if you did your cage correctly then that factory extra steel won't help the chassis any because the cage will be doing a much more serious job of adding rigidness....
I've always been under the impression that even with a full cage tied into the suspension pick ups, that the chassis inherent rigidity is still important. Basically even with a well built cage it's not good to shed weight at the expense of weakening the chassis.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jj1
I've always been under the impression that even with a full cage tied into the suspension pick ups, that the chassis inherent rigidity is still important. Basically even with a well built cage it's not good to shed weight at the expense of weakening the chassis.
True, but a well built cage will do more than PORSCHE did with their additional metal.

Last edited by onefastviking; 05-30-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 PM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
True, but a will built cage will do more than PORSCHE did with their additional metal.
Absolutely agreed.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:21 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting tips in this (old) thread!
You might also want to be aware of this build thread as it contains some interesting bits including lots of details and pictures of a CF roof conversion, a custom built steering rack and much more:

The 996 CLR (after his avatar CarreraLightweightRacing)
Intro to the build: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=48&t=1604071
Build Thread: http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=106137

Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 PM
tdcurtner
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threads like this just can never die! They shouldn't. New ones often end up quoting or linking to the old ones.

Quick Reply: Lightweight street or street/track 996 builds out there?