Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   996 coil over options (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/610369-996-coil-over-options.html)

motionbroker 01-09-2011 01:13 AM

996 coil over options

I am considering the purchase of a 996 c4s and my only complaint was a bit of harshness in the ride which my local dealer said was easily fixable with a coilover kit such as the bilstein pss10

My question to the forum is that it seems that the pss10 will necessarily lower the car 15-20 mm which is not very desirable for me given the nature of the roads here in thailand. Is this the case or am I misreading the information on the Bilstein Website?

If it is the case what are my good options that do not involve lowering the car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MB

100plus 01-09-2011 01:58 AM

X74 kit. Cant beat the value. If you have spare cash to spend on, the Pss10 would be great

Cheers

Graufuchs 01-09-2011 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by 100plus (Post 8195150)
X74 kit.

+1 Possibly your only option, very negligable drop, forgiving on rough roads.

chsu74 01-09-2011 08:00 AM

Your ride height and damper options are endless with PSS10. You can even adjust it higher than stock if you want. Since you have a ROW height, you can even adjust it to USA ride height.

rpm's S2 01-09-2011 10:25 AM

Do a forums search on x74, lots of good discussions.

redridge 01-09-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by motionbroker (Post 8195094)
I am considering the purchase of a 996 c4s and my only complaint was a bit of harshness in the ride which my local dealer said was easily fixable with a coilover kit such as the bilstein pss10

My question to the forum is that it seems that the pss10 will necessarily lower the car 15-20 mm which is not very desirable for me given the nature of the roads here in thailand. Is this the case or am I misreading the information on the Bilstein Website?

If it is the case what are my good options that do not involve lowering the car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MB

huh... stock suspension is to harsh? the coilovers is not the answer since at minimum setting will drive similar to stock or even stiffer. Also, you need the high suspension for the Thai roads.... I agree, they suck... more reason not to go with coilovers. My .02 is to put a stock touring suspension on.... who knows, your setup might just be on its last legs.

Ray S 01-09-2011 11:05 AM

I'd say X74 or if you want some more adjustablility look at the KW Varient 3.

I have x74 on my car, but I have driven a KW car and liked it too.

Sneaky Pete 01-09-2011 11:35 AM

Guys.....I don't think he wants something like a X74 set up. He says the roads are nasty where he is. I'm a huge X74 fan but like Ferd says he needs/wants something cushy. To the OP....what is your current set up?

CWhaley 01-09-2011 11:45 AM

Pete & Ferdinand are the only ones that got the OP's meaning.... He is looking for a softer RIDE not a lower harsher ride...

Find out if the original setup is RoW M30 or X73/74 or stock.... If it is the X73/74 options then go with the RoW M30 setup... Or go for the US M30 setup that is higher and softer still then then RoW M30.

MiamiC70 01-09-2011 11:47 AM

Yea, I am confused too how X74 (an OEM track suspention) can be more "forgiving" that the stock suspention he already feels is too harsh?
I too am interested in the X74 but even with my fairly good S. Florida roads I have my concerns about eventually going X74.

ClickClickBoom 01-09-2011 12:36 PM

I think the stock suspension is way too soft.

CWhaley 01-09-2011 12:39 PM

We here can (with a few excpetions) all agree that the US spec & US M030 set up is WAY to soft... BUT, the OP might be better suited with that setup for many reason... Geographical being only 1 of them.

pissedpuppy 01-09-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 100plus (Post 8195150)
X74 kit. Cant beat the value. If you have spare cash to spend on, the Pss10 would be great

Cheers

THIS!!!

motionbroker 01-10-2011 04:33 AM

Thanks all for the input.

First of all I do not own the car yet and am currently having a PPI done to determine if the dampers/springs are original.

My complaint was that the damping of small road imperfections was quite poor. The test driver for my authorised Porsche Dealer here said that many owners had installed the Pss9 shocks/springs and it had the dual effect of being a bit stiffer but also smoother in damping out unwanted vibration. This seemed like a contradiction to me but this guy is extremely experienced and has given me great advice in the past. He has nothing to gain as this is not a product the dealer sells so I cant see any motivation to mislead me.

There is a set of Pss9's in stock at the distributor here and the price is attractive so if I make the purchase as I expect I will, I will report.

Thanks again for all the input.

MB

motionbroker 01-10-2011 04:36 AM

One more thing I should add is that thailand roads are in fact generally superb. I live in the south of the country and can honestly say we have some of the finest performance driving roads I have experienced anywhere in the world. Add that to the fact that the local authorities are very flexible in regards to your rate of travel and you have a very nice combination.