Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OK, 2003 Targa on the radar-who love's theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default OK, 2003 Targa on the radar-who love's theirs?

I've got a "real" Targa already, in which I'll be buried, either by accident off the mountain, or by my wife's efforts.

I've been looking at 993's, but I've not found "the one". For some reason, I started looking at 996 Targas, and found a couple that interest me. I also found a nice Coupe too...

I look at one of the Targas tomorrow, and I'll give it the once over to see if I take it any further from an exploratory aspect. But, I wonder how current Targa owners view the roof system's reliability and utility?

I've got the hot rod fun car for track days and sprints up Palomar. Now, I'm looking for a good driver for longer trips with creature comforts such as A/C. A 996 surely seems to fit that bill, and seems to be a better bang-for-the-buck than a 993 on the current market.

Thanks!

PS-I'm not really dumb enough to put an apostrophe in "loves", it's my computer screwing around again. I wish we could edit thread titles!
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing a pre 996 driver says when getting into a "modern car" is the insides are way nicer than their air cooled. Of course the a/c and other creature comforts are always there.

I don't own a cab so I have no idea of leaking, rattles or any other things those cars might have.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best car of the 911 range, yep open myself up there. Easy access to the back for luggage etc with the hatchback window. I track her every time possible. Great to drive and almost as rigid as the coupe. As for the glass roof, wow is understatement, there's nothing like travelling at 70mph and deciding you want some open air driving. Push button and roof opens. Then when you hit a spot of rain, quick to close never taking your eyes of the road or traffic through either operation.

You'd be surprised how many 911 or 996/7 owners have seen the new targar's but have never seen the roof open or the back window pop up.

As for the track, I get a full set of track wheels , chair, overnight case and numerous tools in the cabin no problems. Then the compressor, jack and other bits and bobs up in the front compartment.

I love my car, would get another in a heartbeat.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I recall one 996 Targa owner having an alignment issue with his Targa recently, don 't know the outcome. I drove an early 70s Targa(AC) in the Willow Grove area one day while my friend drove my Audi Fox and I still remember how much fun it was.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Eds coming to the dark side.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Eds coming to the dark side.
Ha, Ed's tired of thinking of things to spend money on in Ruby-she's done. She'll stay with me, so I'm not so focused on the performance aspect of the next car, which I originally thought would be a 6-GT3.

I was then "certain" the 993 was what I needed, but now I'm thinking why not a 996. But, I figure a Targa in SoCal has served me well so far, why not another?

Thanks guys for your input. We'll see what happens tomorrow on my visit.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love mine more and more everyday. Rear access is great. Giant roof is great too even when it's not open! No downsides unless you want to lose a few pounds without the glass roof.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

The only downside I've had in my month+ of ownership is with the roof open the visibility out the back window is restricted.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Ha, Ed's tired of thinking of things to spend money on in Ruby-she's done. She'll stay with me, so I'm not so focused on the performance aspect of the next car, which I originally thought would be a 6-GT3.

I was then "certain" the 993 was what I needed, but now I'm thinking why not a 996. But, I figure a Targa in SoCal has served me well so far, why not another?

Resistance is futile... I know you can't resist those 996 headlights.

Goodluck with the decision-making!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArneeA
Resistance is futile... I know you can't resist those 996 headlights.

Goodluck with the decision-making!
Indeed, they were what drew me to the model to begin with....
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 AM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed, I just PM'd you.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 AM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on visibility reduced with the Targa open.

Only had mine for 2 weeks and it has been raining in Puget Sound the whole time I've owned it so the top hasn't been opened since the test drive. Can't wait for Summer trips in the Cascades..

Last edited by jpowers; 12-17-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: cna't spell
Old 12-14-2010, 01:21 AM
larry47us
Pro

I've had my 2004 996 Targa for three months now. I always drive it with the sunshade retracted. I like the open feeling of having the sky just above my head. I drive it around town with the roof retracted, but I have found that on the highway, at 70+ mph, I get a bit of buffeting that I'm not tickled with, but will have to wait till the summer to experiment more. Make sure that you wear a hat with the top open. You will end up with a sunburn for sure.

I'm not sorry I bought it. There are those that declare that the roof will develop problems down the road. I think that the issue is going to be lubrication, and I am lubricating the track with white lithium grease to make sure that it opens and closes smoothly.

larry
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the idea of targa or convertible, just make sure you have a warranty for it, if not you expose your self to trouble, those cars are close to 10 years old now and the technology isn't cheap to replace.

I own a coupe but I would have considered a targa if one had come my way.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes

The 996 is a fantastic bargain, It's a great car and I really enjoy mine, being in the Northeast and also having a Targa in my driveway I want with a Coupe but the Targa's are great.

Quick Reply: OK, 2003 Targa on the radar-who love's theirs?