Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

KONI Sport Single Adjustables installed and reviewed

Old 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After more thought and finding out PSS10 prices (about $2000 more than the Koni Sports), I'm thinking I will do one of:
  • Return the Konis and stay completely stock, putting the money in the "GT3 fund".
  • modified balefire suggestion 5: Koni yellows in the rear, completely stock in front.
I'm leaning toward just leaving it stock. I was really looking forward to a Koni Sport setup.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:13 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yomi, just read thru the thread and wanted to ask you if you've looked into AST coilovers. I have a set off my old 996 that come with camber plates, adjustable drop links, & Gt3 sways. I was a tester for them and only had them on the car for 3 months and a couple track weekends. Really nice set up that competes with JRZ, etc. They are now one of the spec suspensions on the Continental Tire Challenge series. If you are interested, I can send you a link to the place i bought them. There are pics of everything and the install on my car. Just let me know.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Yomi
Instructor

In one of my meandering sessions over at sccaforums I did come across AST, and they look great. I spent an hour or two going through Vorshlag's info. Oh, I imagine you're the Jeff whose 996 is in Vorshlag's album showing the AST 5100's in a 996 C2.

The price point is a lot farther out than I'm looking for, at ~$6000+ including springs and plates. They look fabulous, but my wife would kill me. The Koni Sports at under $900 were a whole different ballpark.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:54 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Yes, that's me, and yes, they are the 5100s. I was saving them for another 996, but since that will not be for some time, decided to sell them. I'm asking $2800 OBO for everything (including $500 worth of factory GT3 sways). I know that is a bit more than a set of Konis but for what it includes, I think it is a heck of a value. Anyway, no pressure, just letting you know they are available and almost brand new.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Another alternative.
Bilstein HDs or Sports. They are supposedly stiffer than your OEM shocks, but they are not adjustable.
Consider running Bilstein's in the front, Konis in the rear.
If you need the Bilstein's stiffer, you can have them revalved for pretty cheap.
You already have the konis in hand. Why not install them in the rear and give them a try.
Still much cheaper than any other route, and just a fraction of the cost of leaving AS with an expensive coil over setup.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Yes, that's me, and yes, they are the 5100s. I was saving them for another 996, but since that will not be for some time, decided to sell them. I'm asking $2800 OBO for everything (including $500 worth of factory GT3 sways). I know that is a bit more than a set of Konis but for what it includes, I think it is a heck of a value. Anyway, no pressure, just letting you know they are available and almost brand new.
Oh! Yes, that's a different story. I'll have to think about this tonight, as well as Balefire's ideas.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:11 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Sounds good, just let me know if you need anymore info from me.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:55 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

what it sounds like you need to buy is some ski wax (:
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Yomi, did you do any more thinking?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by cs jeff
Yomi, did you do any more thinking?
I've done lots of thinking, including quite a bit out loud on the local car forum -- enough that the majority have told me to shut up and just do anything except keep talking about it. I'm assuming the ski wax is for the slippery slope I keep finding myself teetering at the top of.

- The AST deal is a great buy, my biggest concern is that it won't fit the C4S (there are 3 separate PSS10 kits for 996s, for instance), and I don't want to deal with more custom stuff, especially as Vorshlag seemed to think Porsche interest was weak (they get much more love from the BMW folks).

- PSS10s sound nice, and they have a set for the C4S including the necessary replacement end links. About ~$2800 new. I found someone selling some sweet Mode camber plates for $150 or so off the new price, which would be a great pairing with the coilovers (they don't work with the stock springs).

- Install Koni's in the back and leave the front stock.

- Hang out with the stock car and grab something used in the $1500 range if it floats by and is made for the C4S / Turbo.

- Leave the car alone for real, given the Konis won't fit.

After much discussion with my spouse, I think I'll do one of the last two. There is a chance she'll get a position in northern Europe next fall, which will mean selling the cars and house. If not, depending on how jobs work out, I'm thinking a swap for a GT3 or Turbo might be in the cards. She seemed remarkably unconcerned about this...

Edit: I also wanted to try an autocross on the new tires and alignment before deciding. AD08's are much, much better than old Pirelli Pzero Assimetricos. 9th in PAX on a stock car and street tires, 4th if I use a 0.975 street tire handicap. Shoulder wear was not excessive though I did run high pressure (45/50 hot) to avoid it. This has made me less anxious to adjust the car.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:11 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Vorshlag is right about Porsche interest being weak, which I guess comes from people not wanting to try something new. I was certainly impressed with the suspension, but I'm only one guy and I can no longer show anyone how well it performs since the 996 is gone. I totally understand your concern with fit. I would only tell you to talk to Vorschlag about it, to verify. Other than that, good luck & have fun with the car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KONI Sport Single Adjustables installed and reviewed