Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   I've got kiddy seats in my Porsche (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/604033-ive-got-kiddy-seats-in-my-porsche.html)

larry47us 11-28-2010 11:00 PM

I've got kiddy seats in my Porsche

4 Attachment(s)
I've been trying to figure out how to get kiddy seats in the back of my 996. My daughter is insistent that her kids can't ride in Grandpa's Porsche without proper safety equipment.

The Grandkids (GK) range in age from 5 years down to 10 months. I tried to get a booster type seat for one of the seats, but they are too damn wide. I measured the rear bucket seats, and they are only 12" wide at their narrowest point. So, any seat that I find would have to be less than 12" wide to fit in the back, and fit all the way back in the bucket seat.

I went to ToysRUs with my tape measure, and measured and tried out 3 or 4 seats before I found one that was both reasonably priced, was suitable for both front facing GK with a harness and older GK using it as a booster, and fit my color scheme (OK, as long as I was looking.)

I came upon the Evenflow Steeplechase Model seats. They were selling for $60 each (which is really cheap, especially if you consider that Porsche kiddy seats are over $300, and could be used with baby's as small as 6 or 7 months, and as large as 100 pounds. I configured one with the harness and one without. Both are held in place with the conventional seatbelt wrapped around the front.

I also got some seatback covers, so that the GK could kick their muddy feet all they wanted at the seatbacks, but would only mess up the nylon cover. A pair of covers came to $12.00.

I thought I would share my "research" so that you guys could set up your cars the same, if you wanted. There really isn't a lot of leg room in the back, even for mini-kids. I have had to pull my seat farther forward than my normal driving position so that there was room for their legs. Small price to pay for carting the GK around and hearing them shout -"Grandpa, get it up to 8 (8,000 RPM). I need to teach them a bit about cars - plenty of time for that!! :cool:

larry

kristyhana 11-29-2010 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Glad you found some that worked! Kinda late, but we have a backless booster that fits, and it's only $13 at Walmart, lol, in case you ever wanted to go that route. Took me forever to find one that fit, but it does! :)

DreamCarrera 11-29-2010 04:39 AM

Wow, I love the new family truckster Larry. HAHA

My youngest daughter is now too big for the booster seat but I have fond memories of buckling her into the 996 when she was younger.:crying:

It's funny you mention the tach, my daughter would often say "wow dad you got it up to 5,000, etc." and I'd reply "yes, but don't tell mom".:icon501:

I can hear it now, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Grandpa got the car to 7,200 today. It was real fun"!!!

AndyK 11-29-2010 06:52 AM

Nice rear of the seat protector towel thingy!

I'm tall, and have to move my driver seat way back. So, when my kids are in the car, the older (8) daughter sits behind short mommy, and my son (6) complains the whole trip about not having enough room for his feet!

LVDell 11-29-2010 08:05 AM

Or if you searched you would have found the thread I started that documents MANY people's experience with what works and doesn't work in the back of a 996!

So......

How old are the kiddos you want to run with in the rear?

larry47us 11-29-2010 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by LVDell (Post 8092625)
How old are the kiddos you want to run with in the rear?

We have 5 grandchildren, one girl aged 5 and 4 boys - 4, 2, 22 months, and 10 months.

We affectionately call them Snow White and the 4 dwarfs.

larry

LVDell 11-29-2010 09:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by larry47us (Post 8092731)
We affectionately call them Snow White and the 4 dwarfs.

larry

:roflmao:

Originally Posted by larry47us (Post 8092731)
We have 5 grandchildren, one girl aged 5 and 4 boys - 4, 2, 22 months, and 10 months.

So for the 5 and 4 year old, the booster seats will be perfect.

The 2 and 22 (and the 10 month old when 1 year of age is reached so he can be forward facing) will be great in a forward facing convertible seat like the Britax roundabout. The Britax is the one seat that actually fits in the rears of these cars as long as you remove the base that is attached to the seat. I've attached pics for you.

ivangene 11-29-2010 10:08 AM

:thumbup:

wings & wheels 11-29-2010 10:43 AM

:thumbup:+2

I was about to do the whole tape measure to Kids R Us thing some time this week. Thanks for saving the effort...from my 4 yr old daughter too!

w

LVDell 11-29-2010 10:45 AM

Very welcome.

Consensus is the Britax Roundabout is the best forward facing convertible and the Recaro PROBooster is the best "fit like a glove" booster seat.

roadsession 11-29-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by LVDell (Post 8092849)
Very welcome.

Consensus is the Britax Roundabout is the best forward facing convertible and the Recaro PROBooster is the best "fit like a glove" booster seat.

But what about for a cab...

ivangene 11-29-2010 11:00 AM

there is sopmething really cool that comes to your car when the back is filled with little smiling faces !!

LVDell 11-29-2010 11:01 AM

Same for the CAB but you just don't get the rear anchor that you can use in conjunction with the seat belt. I have a CAB as well and use the same setup between both cars.

roadsession 11-29-2010 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by LVDell (Post 8092886)
Same for the CAB but you just don't get the rear anchor that you can use in conjunction with the seat belt. I have a CAB as well and use the same setup between both cars.

Dell, thanks - but Britax Roundabout - which one (40, 50, 55?)

LVDell 11-29-2010 11:08 AM

The 55 is the "next gen" seat. I'll run out to my garage and get the model for you. Standby.......