996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Carrera 4S broken AWD

Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
I'm no expert on this, but I did work for a company for 13 years that produced silicone oils of various viscosities for various purposes. I understand the oil in the front diff is silicone - and if kept clean will never need replacement. I also understand that Porsche changed to the viscous coupling from the electronic multi-clutch units (like the 959 and 964) only after sophisticated machine tooling was invented in the 90s. So the concept should work something like a shear thickening fluid - when there is increasing slip as the front wheels spin at a different RPM than the drive shaft, the fluid gets thicker (more viscous like honey) and begins to transfer more of the torque between two rotating elements. Not sure how the cold affects all this - as it seems the colder it is, the higher the viscosity. But of course lab measurements are made at standard conditions - usually room temperature. Some food for thought...maybe someone can correct this theory or produce the actual design theory from Porsche.
DC4
"...the fluid gets thicker..."

The VC case is hermetically sealed so as the fluid heats due to the shearing of the clutch plates it cannot expand in volume so it "thickens".
Old 11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I don't buy either argument, liquids get less viscous with increased temperature. And the idea of the gas bubble is in the VC is simply strange - can you point to an example? I took the time to look it up, and I'm correct - as the shearing of the fluid increases, the viscosity increases - the torque is increasingly transferred from disk to disk via the fluid. It has nothing to do with temperature. Pre stiffening the fluid also will not work, as it simply reverts back to the lower viscosity when the shear is removed (here is a quote from Wiki):

Traction control
Dilatant materials have certain industrial uses due to their shear thickening behavior. For example, some all wheel drive systems use a viscous coupling unit full of dilatant fluid to provide power transfer between front and rear wheels. On high traction road surfacing, the relative motion between primary and secondary drive wheels is the same, so the shear is low and little power is transferred. When the primary drive wheels start to slip, the shear increases, causing the fluid to thicken. As the fluid thickens, the torque transferred to the secondary drive wheels increases proportionally, until the maximum amount of power possible in the fully thickened state is transferred. See also: limited slip differential, some types of which operate on the same principle.

To the operator, this system is entirely passive, engaging all four wheels to drive when needed, and dropping back to two wheel drive once the need has passed. This system is generally used for on-road vehicles rather than off-road vehicles, since the maximum viscosity of the dilatant fluid limits the amount of torque that can be passed across the coupling.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:38 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Here we go... http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential5.htm
Old 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

"...fluids get less viscous with increased temperature..."

Yes, EXCEPT....

If you take an already "thick" fluid that has a HIGH volume expansion ratio with increasing temperature and "trap" it in a fixed volume hermetically sealed container and then begin heating it.

With the gas bubble you can delay the onset of increased coupling so there is little or no reaction to "ordinary" F/R drive line slippage, turning or even slightly different tire wear F/R. But once the delay is overcome the slope of the onset can be dramatic.

"...as the shearing of the fluid increases the viscosity increases.."

Yes, absolutely...!

The "shearing" HEATS the fluid, the fluid CAN NOT expand in volume, so the fluid's effective density, "viscosity", increases, becomes more "syruppy" and the coupling coefficient between the VC clutch plates increases.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM
wwest
Drifting

Post #7 and #15, Reads authoritively, be your own judge.

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/ind...howtopic=13134

Of special interest, notice...

...they do have the virture of failing gracefully...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:17 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanna test it? Put it up on jackstands, start the motor, and engage 1st gear and slowly let out the clutch. All 4 wheels will turn. It worked for me.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:41 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by thlangva
Today I got stuck in a fairly steep uphill of snow, and I could not notice the front wheels spinning at any time. So i definitely think the VC is broken.
Were the rear wheels spinning at this time? The fronts can't turn unless the rears are turning, but it can be very hard to tell when the fronts are pulling; I rarely notice it on my C4.

God help the person that tries to change out their viscous coupling fluid. That stuff isn't meant to be changed like engine or differential oil. Hell, I'm not sure where you'd even buy the stuff.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:48 AM
thlangva
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tooloud10
Were the rear wheels spinning at this time? The fronts can't turn unless the rears are turning, but it can be very hard to tell when the fronts are pulling; I rarely notice it on my C4.
Yes, the rear wheels was spinning, and not the front wheels. So I am going to change the front diff, and hopefully that will fix the problem.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

Yes, the rear wheels was spinning, and not the front wheels. So I am going to change the front diff, and hopefully that will fix the problem.
Were you (able to) watch both...? Due to the diff'l one front wheel might turn but not the opposite.

But even with the VC having failed "gracefully" there should still be enough coupling to turn the front wheels off the ground with no resistance.

Drive line/shaft coupling...??
Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
wwest
Drifting

The test you quoted in post # 11 indicates it would take 20 seconds of sustained low speed "slippage" before the VC coupling coefficient is measurable, and that was with the front brake "sticktion" overcome otherwise.

Twenty seconds....??

Leads one to understand why Porsche has gone the way of adopting Ford's (Escape) ECU controlled electromechanical coupling clutch.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
The test you quoted in post # 11 indicates it would take 20 seconds of sustained low speed "slippage" before the VC coupling coefficient is measurable, and that was with the front brake "sticktion" overcome otherwise.

Twenty seconds....??
Hmm, I don't think that means what you think it does. The test procedure simply requires the tech to check at the 20-second point and isn't indicative of when the front wheels are activated.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
thlangva
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wwest
Were you (able to) watch both...? Due to the diff'l one front wheel might turn but not the opposite.

But even with the VC having failed "gracefully" there should still be enough coupling to turn the front wheels off the ground with no resistance.

Drive line/shaft coupling...??
I had a guy watch the front wheels from outside. Haven't considered that only one wheel could have turned and not the other one. Nevertheless, I am quite sure if the AWD were working properly it would made it up that hill.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

I am quite sure if the AWD were working properly it would made it up that hill.
You haven't mentioned what tires and their condition.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:15 PM
thlangva
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SH || NC
You haven't mentioned what tires and their condition.
Brand new Michelin Pilot Alpin snow tires
Old 11-17-2010, 06:03 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it is BROKEN; like I mentioned in post #3, AWD and 4x4 are two different things.

Do you think this Porsche C4 in the link is also broken?:
http://www.youtube.com/user/JohnnyGu...25/iV8pB6OQCTI

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 Carrera 4S broken AWD