996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"New" 1999 C4 shake-down - hints?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:05 AM
StolenMoneyStolen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "New" 1999 C4 shake-down - hints?

Hi all,

So I have been driving my newly acquired 1999 C4 for about two weeks now. Having a lot of fun but looking for some advice from the more experienced owners here.

The car has ~11,500 miles. I think that the first service in the manual doesn't appear until 15,000. That said, I'm curious as to what precautions any of you might recommend. The car had two owners prior to me. Both previous owners were by all accounts experienced sports car owners. The car doesn't have a single scratch on it; it really is something of a time capsule!

All that said, this is my first Porsche (but I have had lots of other Euro cars) and looking for advice and to share my observations/thinking:

1. replaced the cd storage unit with a factory shelf/bin and did the mandatory Bumper Plugs

2. ordered an aux cable from Becker USA to run an iPod or sat radio

3. ordered the ultimate cupholder -- this car will become my daily driver, and i drive from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC several times a month (~250 miles each way) so the first three are quick-wins to make the car more enjoyable on long trips; however, i'm not a high-mileage driver--Vespa the two miles to work most days and our A4 Avant only has 58K after four years

4. need to buy 17-inch winter wheels/snow tires (probably from Tire Rack unless someone has a used set...)

5. need to buy a roof rack for bicycles and skis

6. thinking about buying a new battery as I can't readily discern how new this one is and that seems like cheap insurance...

7. puzzled by the harsh ride (Continental ZR/18)--feel overly loud and like they might be flat-spotted. However the previous owner freely offered that he replaced the rears which were flat-spotted.... ???? Of course I didn't think to ask about the fronts; I'm thinking that I will put the snows on and see if the ride improves. Otherwise, maybe the the problem is/are a wheel bearing(s)? Moreover, maybe I just move to 17-inch wheels for summer driving as well--western PA has HORRIBLE roads.

Love to hear advice/experience from others. Hopefully, my approach seems reasonable to the more well versed!

Many thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:40 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Only 11k miles?? That does sound like a time capsule. The tires might be original - even if they're the 2nd set, they might be 6 years old. Replace them.

At that mileage, I'd also have all fluids changed - who knows when the last oil change was, and the brake fluid, diff/tranny oil, and coolant have probably never been changed. Wise to do the engine belt, too.

Re battery - it'll either start the car or it wont... You'll know when it wont.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

What Van said! A car that age and miles who knows when the last maintenance was done.

Tirerack is a good place to get snow tires. You can find the wheels in the F/S section here on RL or Craiglist or Ebay. These cars are great in the snow! Do you have any pics?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:11 AM
kr3678
Instructor

Each car will have a unique set of circumstances.

In April I bought a 14K '99 Carrera 4 with Tiptronic. I took it to the local Porsche racer/independent mechanic and told him I didn't know the service history, gave him a blank check and told him to do whatever he thought was needed. After checking the fluids, filters, and everything else, he decided it needed an oil change and brake fluid flush and we had to replace one of the oxygen sensors to clear an intermittent check engine light.

Compared to the Audi, this car is definitely going to ride rougher, especially on 18" wheels. Although I noticed it early on, I don't really feel like it is rough any more. Maybe a litte more time will help with you as well. I would, however, check the age of the tires to make sure the fronts aren't original.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! 11K miles in 11 years. That's...how you say.... not so good.

This is what I would change/do to make it the ideal DD:

Change the oil - and have an oil analysis done of the old oil - Blackstone labs.

When you change the oil filter, inspect it by cutting off the ends and laying the media out on a flat surface. Check for metal/plastic/rubber debris.

Change the tranny fluid - only use Porsche fluid no matter what your indy says

change brake fluid - that's a given.

Change out the coolant/thermostat/and water pump. I know it only has 11K on it but if you ask experienced folks liek Jake, that coolant does and will degarde the plastic innards of the water pump.

Change the spark plugs and check the coils if they haven't been done in the past 5 years.

Check the dates on the tires. Doesn't matter who replaced what with who. If the tires were "old" when they were installed and then sat for years they need to go.

Probably doesn't need it but I would swap out the air/cabin filters. Mice love cabin filters and this car sat still for a looong time.

Check the brake pads for cracks as well as the rotors.

happy motoring!
Old 11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

change tires and fluids.... the car will shake itself out in time. Look for leaks and keep an eye on anything with seals and rubber. Listen to squeals and whining noises. She'll eventually get back into shape if you drive her often
Old 11-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
change tires and fluids.... the car will shake itself out in time. Look for leaks and keep an eye on anything with seals and rubber. Listen to squeals and whining noises. She'll eventually get back into shape if you drive her often

I couldn't agree more. Don't go crazy, your driving the car and putting on miles will go a long way. This forum can give you some great suggestions for improving your Porsche, and I've found that you can do many of the fluid changes and filter replacements very easily, and feel good about doing them yourself.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
StolenMoneyStolen
AutoX

Default Thanks!

Appreciate all the suggestions... I am scheduled to have the fluids done next Wednesday; I'm fortunate to have a local dealer within walking distance to my office. Will report back with anything interesting...

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:19 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

pics???
Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
pics???
good point.... pics or ban!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Even pics of your battery....
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is Tim??
Old 11-05-2010, 10:22 AM
StolenMoneyStolen
AutoX

Default Beter pics coming -- promise!

Just haven't had time to snap any good pics -- dark when I go to work, dark when I come home from work....

Sigh.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
deleonl1
Racer

Thanks for the pics! I like your garage doors.

Quick Reply: "New" 1999 C4 shake-down - hints?