996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dirt and Buildup around Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 11:48 AM
ScottBLEGO
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dirt and Buildup around Oil Pump?

Replacing coil packs and plugs and decided to remove the mufflers. I am old and it makes it easier. This was also a good chance to take a good look around the engine. There is a small oil leak indicative of a main oil seal issue which will need to wait until doing the IMS at some point. But I was surprised by this dirt that is indicative of oil that collects dirt and crud. This is on the passenger side of the engineer around the oil pump. This is a 2003 C4S by the way.

Nothing obvious. Cleaned it up and will monitor, but I thought this brain trust might have an idea of what to look for. This is a closeup of the only "wet" visible.

Most of my history working on cars has been Porsche 914s, original Mini's, and Sports 2000 racecars (and other open-wheel cars), so working on such a "big" car has been both challenging and fun! Ironically, this is my first time using real battery tools like impact wrenches. It was so much fun to apply a bit of heat to the exhaust bolts, and then just spin them off with the tool!
The following users liked this post:
wdb (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 95 Posts

There is a breather valve above this area that will open and vent crank case gasses if/when the AOS becomes faulty. Time to check your AOS using a manometer on the oil fill cap. I think the desired pressure range is -4 to -5 mm Hg. There are plenty of threads outlining how to do this.
Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jandackson
There is a breather valve above this area that will open and vent crank case gasses if/when the AOS becomes faulty. Time to check your AOS using a manometer on the oil fill cap. I think the desired pressure range is -4 to -5 mm Hg. There are plenty of threads outlining how to do this.
Correct and appropriate to check the AOS. Also, check valve or O ring can fail, also causing leak w healthy AOS.

Quick Reply: Dirt and Buildup around Oil Pump?