Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
With direct oil feed from the oil filter, what pathway does the oil take after it feeds the bearing?
You are confused. You are falling prey to the marketing of a copycat that wants his product to appear to do the same thing as the IMS Solution.

The pressurized oil feed from the Spin On Filter Adaptor is part of the IMS Solution Patent. We also have a second Patent that covers oil being fed from ANY port on the engine, to the IMS region.

That being said, the oil delivered by the "DOF" is an uncontrolled "spray" of oil that is sprayed against the dynamic components of a stock or any other ball bearing used to support the IMS assembly.This oil is aereated, then delivered back to the sump in an uncontrolled fashion.

The IMS Solution's oil is delivered in a controlled manner, and is never sprayed against a component. The IMS Solution flange internally routes the oil to the radial and longitudinal surfaces of the IMS, to control loads in BOTH directions. This oil is never aerated, and once it is used it is delivered back to the oil sump in the same manner that the waste oil from the main bearings is delivered. This means that aeration isn't an issue, and that the IMS Solution dictates the flow of oil that it needs based upon RPM, and load. Uncontrolled oil is never an issue, and to ensure that is the case, a plug is permanently inserted into the IMS shaft inner diameter.

There's only one IMS Solution, and nothing else works the same way.... Contrary to what the copycats may try to market into what you read.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:16 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So, the oil comes down the hose/tube from the oil filter, squirts under pump pressure on both rows of bearings in those early 996 cars with dual-row, then runs down the crack (where the snap ring will fall if you're not careful when dis-assembling) to the sump, where it's sucked up and recycled by the pump?

And, you corked the intermediate shaft tube so oil wouldn't collect there behind the bearing?

I'm not confused, I'm just asking.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:22 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dash01
So, the oil comes down the hose/tube from the oil filter, squirts under pump pressure on both rows of bearings in those early 996 cars with dual-row, then runs down the crack (where the snap ring will fall if you're not careful when dis-assembling) to the sump, where it's sucked up and recycled by the pump?

And, you corked the intermediate shaft tube so oil wouldn't collect there behind the bearing?

I'm not confused, I'm just asking.
If you think the IMS Solution has “two rows of bearings”, you are certainly confused...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just watched the PCNA Spotlight video on the IMS with Jake. I never personally met Jake but seeing him talk live changes my perspective of him completely. It’s why Facebook and Twitter are so dangerous, you never see how the person is talking and can “read between the lines”. I now have a much better understanding of the IMS and am looking forward to seeing future videos explaining the differences in upgrades and solutions.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Just watched the PCNA Spotlight video on the IMS with Jake. I never personally met Jake but seeing him talk live changes my perspective of him completely.
Yeah... This has totally botched my reputation. Now people think I'm a nice guy! It took me years to get the ******* reputation.

Seriously.... I write very directly. I don't sugar coat things, or toss in a bunch of adjectives. I say what I think, and keep it to the point. Glad you enjoyed the vide.

That said, doing that video required extreme discipline. The content is 100% memorized, and burned into my brain, but delivery in a non- biased way was extremely difficult. I am not a team player, and I generally only care about what I have developed. Tossing that aside was not easy. Typically I don;t care about method of delivery, and what people think about that, I am only focused on burning the points into their heads.

Thats why my classroom is such a unique, and powerful place!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Esfoad
Racer

You did that very effectively and I commend you for staying on point. Once you move on to actual replacements then I feel it would be AOK to see the old Jake saying it as you see it.
You are a real asset to this site and to 911 owners in general. Sometimes we all need a little tough love.
I did not go with your product the first time but I am on a clock and a year before they say I’m due I will be in touch for a permanent solution on this item. By then we’ll see what else to do but I am enjoying my car as my DD in summer and using her as a cruiser rather than the track.
Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Esfoad
You did that very effectively and I commend you for staying on point. Once you move on to actual replacements then I feel it would be AOK to see the old Jake saying it as you see it.
You are a real asset to this site and to 911 owners in general. Sometimes we all need a little tough love.
I did not go with your product the first time but I am on a clock and a year before they say I’m due I will be in touch for a permanent solution on this item. By then we’ll see what else to do but I am enjoying my car as my DD in summer and using her as a cruiser rather than the track.
Thanks again.
The whole series has been recorded already.

I stayed the same way throughout. My personal opinion was NEVER stated, only facts that could be supported in some way. I knew better than to say what I feel, with the bias that it carries.
I said less about the things I've developed than anything else. I never even claimed the IMS Solution as my own.

PCA also did not tell me what to say, and they laid down no rules. What I said was what I had to say, knowing what I know about modern humans, and bull****.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:56 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The whole series has been recorded already.

I stayed the same way throughout. My personal opinion was NEVER stated, only facts that could be supported in some way. I knew better than to say what I feel, with the bias that it carries.
I said less about the things I've developed than anything else. I never even claimed the IMS Solution as my own.

PCA also did not tell me what to say, and they laid down no rules. What I said was what I had to say, knowing what I know about modern humans, and bull****.
Come on, no one trolls these sites 😉. Yes I feel what you’re saying. I have a rule at my office that we speak on the phone whenever possible and not text because so many read what’s not there.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 PM
JCSFCA
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Boxster S with 14,000 miles

I am purchasing a 15 year old 2002 Boxster S with 14,000 miles. Thoughts about the IMS and replacing it? Thanks
Old 12-03-2017, 12:12 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,808 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by JCSFCA
I am purchasing a 15 year old 2002 Boxster S with 14,000 miles. Thoughts about the IMS and replacing it? Thanks
The thought is how quickly can you schedule the work? 🤔 Cheap insurance.

Sounds like a nice car. Post pics. Just for my own edification, mind if I ask how much?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 911 had 113,000 when I had my IMS replaced. Very good service history and zero track days...owned by and older women who took great care of it. The bearing was in good visual shape, seals, bearing surface etc. There was no more grease inside, only oil however. On the other hand my brother in law had a 01, or 03 boxster whose IMS blew at 99,000 miles so you just never know. Not sure of its history...Worth having it replaced if you plan to keep the car.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:33 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I would recommend you replace the bearing.
In deciding if it is a good idea to replace the bearing or not, you have to perform a cost benefit analysis. For me, my 911 engine is SUPER expensive, on the order of $20k. On a base model Boxster, you can pick up a engine for $4-5k, so I probably would be okay taking the gamble on a base model Boxster. On a Boxster S, the engine is probably a little more. The problem you are going to run into is that you probably will never find another Boxster S engine with 14k Miles, and if you do happen to get lucky, I imagine the price would be astronomical. I am sure you paid a hefty premium to buy this car with such low miles. As such, I think the best move would be to replace the bearing, on the cost of about $2600-3000 and have the peace of mind for 70k Miles.

I am replacing my bearing in my 911 with 96k Miles. My car is in the shop now, and my mechanic should get to it this week. This should give me peace of mind for another 70k Miles.

If I do keep the car more than 70k Miles additional miles, reaching 166k Miles, I do not plan to replace the bearing a second time. I will keep 5k mile oil changes and towards the higher end of the mileage interval, start doing more oil analysis.

i have performed advanced cost analysis with part numbers and locations of where to get Parts for the cheapest purchase with good Parts. I will do a write up after my mechanic is finished with my car.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:40 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by professorman
I would recommend you replace the bearing.
In deciding if it is a good idea to replace the bearing or not, you have to perform a cost benefit analysis. For me, my 911 engine is SUPER expensive, on the order of $20k. On a base model Boxster, you can pick up a engine for $4-5k, so I probably would be okay taking the gamble on a base model Boxster. On a Boxster S, the engine is probably a little more. The problem you are going to run into is that you probably will never find another Boxster S engine with 14k Miles, and if you do happen to get lucky, I imagine the price would be astronomical. I am sure you paid a hefty premium to buy this car with such low miles. As such, I think the best move would be to replace the bearing, on the cost of about $2600-3000 and have the peace of mind for 70k Miles.

I am replacing my bearing in my 911 with 96k Miles; and if I do keep the car beyond 70k Miles, I still do not plan to replace the bearing. I will keep 5k mile oil changes and towards the higher end of the mileage interval, start doing more oil analysis.
Do you plan to replace your bearing? Last sentence says you plan to replace it, and that you do not plan to replace it?
Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Do you plan to replace your bearing? Last sentence says you plan to replace it, and that you do not plan to replace it?
sorry, edited my post for clarity. I am replacing it now, but I will not replace it a second time in the future.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

IMS Solution and never worry again...

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)